New guy / NEW build (Sierra)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Taylor_sierra

TX
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and I am doing a full build / install in a 2009 Sierra ext cab. I'm passing the truck down to my niece since she graduated with honors and obtained scholarships.

Unfortunately, I have been fighting a horrible nerve disease (CRPS) for the last 3yrs so the install is obviously a long term project. I am installing all DB Drive equipment. The equipment is listed below.

DB Drive ES7 components (front & rear)

DB Drive A7M 400.4 (powering components)

DB Drive Platinum 10 sub

DB Drive A7M 1250.1 (powering sub)

DB Drive 5 farad cap

DB Link flexcore power & ground wiring

DB Link RCA's

DB Link 9 wire

DB Link buzzmat (I'd love to have more sound deadening material but it's absolutely not in the budget for awhile). I reached out to a few companies with hopes that someone could donate a little but I never heard back from any of them).

Head unit (Kenwood 6.5 double din touch screen)

Info for the install: I will build a custom box (center console / down firing). It will look stock when completed and in place. Location for amps will be a big job but definitely different. I'm removing skin (mesh type material) from the bottom of the back seat. I will then use spray foam to fill in the low spots on the factory seat foam. I'll cut it back down so it's smooth and still recessed. Once that is done I will lay down fiberglass cloth (2-3 layers) and then topped with carbon fiber cloth (plain or twill weave). The amps will be bolted down to the carbon surface with the capacitor between them. I won't even try to describe how I'm running the wiring to the amps but I will post pictures once I get to that point.

Every connection is soldered and finished with heat shrink except for connections with set screws (amps, cap, distribution block & ANL fuse holder). Those connections will be done with wire ferrules and heat shrink.

I am not a professional audio installer but I do have a fair amount of experience with car audio. Having a creative mindset for fabrication definitely helps.

PLEASE be patient with me (updates & pictures). I don't get to work on the install as often as I would like due to CRPS flare ups. Also need more sound deadening material before I can get any further along.

I will post pictures of progress as I get things done.

Thanks

Dayum...sponsored by DB Drive by chance?

Edit: I would choose to lose the DB cap. Reason being is because it won't do anything unless you upgrade your electrical, and didn't see anything pertaining to so. Example, better battery than stock one and NOT Optima, a HO alt, but your not running much power so depending upon the stock alt's amperage rating it might be ok, and most important, the big 3 wiring.

Got a trick with these, I had an 04 z71 ext cab and the top of cab flexed a ton.

I did throw 4-15's in it and broke a wield on the top.

At the time I didn't have much sound mat so I used what little I had then I glued paint sticks to the roof. This stopped the flex completely.

I never ran the 4-15's again in that truck after the fix but the mtx 9500 12 would still flex the heck out of the top.

Paint sticks fixed it. Think I had my body shop guy fix the wield that broke also.

Was a pretty cheap mod.

Dayum...sponsored by DB Drive by chance?
Edit: I would choose to lose the DB cap. Reason being is because it won't do anything unless you upgrade your electrical, and didn't see anything pertaining to so. Example, better battery than stock one and NOT Optima, a HO alt, but your not running much power so depending upon the stock alt's amperage rating it might be ok, and most important, the big 3 wiring.
Yes, I have a better battery and HO alt already in the truck. I am doing the big 3 wiring as well. I didn't list those within the equipment list because they are not actually "audio products".

I'm not sponsored by anyone but choose to run DB Drive equipment because I get a good deal on it. Not to mention that I've installed a fair amount of DB products over the years for other people and it has always sounded good. Plus I never received any negative feedback on it.

Yes, I have a better battery and HO alt already in the truck. I am doing the big 3 wiring as well. I didn't list those within the equipment list because they are not actually "audio products".
I'm not sponsored by anyone but choose to run DB Drive equipment because I get a good deal on it. Not to mention that I've installed a fair amount of DB products over the years for other people and it has always sounded good. Plus I never received any negative feedback on it.
Meh, part of "audio equipment" is true....it's actually part of electrical system....but sounds like your on the right track. Build log for sure tho...

Got a trick with these, I had an 04 z71 ext cab and the top of cab flexed a ton.
At the time I didn't have much sound mat so I used what little I had then I glued paint sticks to the roof. This stopped the flex completely.

I never ran the 4-15's again in that truck after the fix but the mtx 9500 12 would still flex the heck out of the top.

Paint sticks fixed it. Think I had my body shop guy fix the wield that broke also.

Was a pretty cheap mod.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif Must've been a weak weld...

Update: Was able to work on the install for a bit today. Completed items have done over a 5 week period.

Items completed:

Sound deadening installed on floor and in all 4 doors

DB Drive ES7 components installed in all 4 doors

Head unit installed

RCAs, power wire & 9 wire run

Camera wires run and camera installed (Pioneer cam will do but would much rather have a better / more clear cam)

Still have a long way to go but it's slowly getting there.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/needpics.gif.edd6d28e76618c28c46f343991bcced5.gif
Pictures will be posted at a later date. Sad how so many people are sarcastic these days.

Should have been asked in the form of "interesting and nice build. Post some pictures when you get a chance"

Pictures will be posted at a later date. Sad how so many people are sarcastic these days.
Should have been asked in the form of "interesting and nice build. Post some pictures when you get a chance"
It's pretty typical when someone on here posts in the build log, pics come automatically come with a description.....just look at past or even present build logs and you'll see. Sad that you didn't see/know this before....not after something got done.

Shouldn't of been asked at all. Sucka. The smilie I posted is the common one used when a newb makes a build log without any pics. Feel free to carry on though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Taylor_sierra

Taylor_sierra
TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Slo_Ride