New Car: Need Speaker Advice (Audio Newbie)

Participant count
  • Participant list

boomer34
10+ year member

Hey everyone,

I just bought a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab. I have never done any after market audio upgrades in my previous cars, mainly because I have never had a nice car. So I am looking to upgrade the 4 door speakers, and probably add an amp to power them.

I am not going to be putting a sub in, so I am wanting the best speakers I can buy, ones that will give me the full spectrum of sound...at least as much as 6-3/4 speakers will do.

I am wanting to leave the factory head unit in (unless this is a huge negative), but want to buy 4 door speakers and an amp (the doors hold 6-3/4 speakers). I am new to audio upgrades, but I am a good internet researcher...but before I go buying speakers and an amp based on my internet research...I wanted to come ask the pros around here.

Here are the 2 speakers options I have found to be well recommended:

1) JL Audio C2-650X

Best Internet Price: $103.95 (Retail $179.99)

RMS 15-60, Peak 100

2) Infinity 629I

Best Internet Price: $65.99 (Retail $129.99)

RMS 2-75, Peak 225

In my brief amp research, I have found this one to be well recommend, compact (fit under the front seat), good price, and will power both sets above:

1) Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4

Best Internet Price: $186.99 (Retail $229.99)

RMS 75x4

Am I on the right track here?

Any other speakers or amps to look at that might serve my interests better?

Thanks for any insight and help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd look into components over coaxials since you wont be running a sub. well components upfront and coaxs rear (unless your wanting more heavy SQ with staging and all in which case you may just only want to run fronts)

Whats your budget for all 4 speakers?

that seems to be a pretty nice amp youve chosen IMO

Like I said, I'm an audio newbie...so I gotta admit that I am not super familiar with all the differences between coaxs and components...

With a component system, do you have to drill new holes and such for the setup?

I would be open to that if it would sound better....especially knowing that I will not be adding a sub.

I guess I favored that amp because it produced the RMS watts to fully power those speakers...

As far as budget, I guess I am wanting to stay under $400 in total.

Like I said, I'm an audio newbie...so I gotta admit that I am not super familiar with all the differences between coaxs and components...
With a component system, do you have to drill new holes and such for the setup?

I would be open to that if it would sound better....especially knowing that I will not be adding a sub.

I guess I favored that amp because it produced the RMS watts to fully power those speakers...

As far as budget, I guess I am wanting to stay under $400 in total.
component set means separate tweeter, crossover and mid.

coaxial, its mid with tweeter on top generally.

component sets usually yield better results SQ wise due to more options in playing with tweeter aiming and placement and having a separate higher tweeter in general so your sound isnt coming from down low.

as far as drilling holes, depends on how your car is setup now, does it not have tweeters anywhere? Im sure it does. Just look for a place where a really small speaker would be. doors, sailpanels, pillars etc.

with your budget, you'll probably want to just run fronts, atleast for now. You dont plan on running a sub so you'll need strong midbass from your comps which means you will need to seal and deaden your doors. basically using sheet metal or mdf wood to cover those holes in the door frame when you take the panel off. This will increase your midbass and clean up the midrange. Then later on you can add rear speakers or just keep the stock ones back there if you like the way it sounds with fronts only.

component set means separate tweeter, crossover and mid.coaxial, its mid with tweeter on top generally.

component sets usually yield better results SQ wise due to more options in playing with tweeter aiming and placement and having a separate higher tweeter in general so your sound isnt coming from down low.

as far as drilling holes, depends on how your car is setup now, does it not have tweeters anywhere? Im sure it does. Just look for a place where a really small speaker would be. doors, sailpanels, pillars etc.

with your budget, you'll probably want to just run fronts, atleast for now. You dont plan on running a sub so you'll need strong midbass from your comps which means you will need to seal and deaden your doors. basically using sheet metal or mdf wood to cover those holes in the door frame when you take the panel off. This will increase your midbass and clean up the midrange. Then later on you can add rear speakers or just keep the stock ones back there if you like the way it sounds with fronts only.

Ok...that sounds good. Knowing there is no sub in the future, this is probably the best option.

Are there certain component system brands I should look at that would produce the "strong midbass" you mentioned would be beneficial since there will be no sub?

Also, is the amp I listed above still a solid option for running a component system and rear door coaxs speakers?

Thanks again for your help...

Id say the amp is a solid choice though I have no personal experience with it. You could also look into the Boston Acoustics amps if you like.

GTA 704 or GT475 would be my choices for 4 channels, or maybe a nice 2 channel since you'll only be running fronts for now. or bridge the 4 channel amp and unbridge it later if you decide to run 4 speakers.

For comps, with a 400 budget, I'd look at the Boston Acoustics Pro Series, Hybrid Audio, Focal or DLS...theres plenty more you could look into thats just off the top of my head and I'm a BA fan so ofcourse theyre in there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.