safe level of watts

You are more apt to clip a smaller amp. There is nothing wrong with a bigger amp. But will that extra wattage be needed? Depends on what you listen to and how loud.

For mids and highs, get a test cd with a 1000hz note on it. Turn the deck to the loudest point you would ever listen to it at. Play that tone and turn your gain up until the noise changes pitch. Back it off some where the noise is completely gone. Your gains are set, and you will not be sending a clipped signal to the mids. If you know someone with an O-scope, that is even more accurate, but you can definitely get by with doing it by ear.

You're talking about a difference of 25-40 Watts of rated power, of which the amplifier's efficiency is already reducing, plus this is at 14.4V. The theoretical difference in output measured in decibels when comparing 60 Watts to 100 Watts is an increase of only 2.4 dB. This is audible but it's not enough to make you think, "Wow, I'm glad I got the bigger amp". It's a difference of a few more clicks on the volume.

The real danger is excessive heat over time, which is caused by playing music into clipping levels. There can be massive differences in music levels depending on how it was originally mixed and what was done to that music by the time it got to your head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.