New Build log V.Fiberglass regular cab ford Truck box

Once again comments suggestions critisisms etc welcome. this is my first foray into fiberglass. If this was a standard MDF box it would have been done 2 days ago LOL

That is looking real good, what's going in there?

I have the similar hump on the back wall problem with my Ranger

100_1711.jpg

100_1705.jpg

I probably should have given fiberglass a shot

That is looking real good, what's going in there? I have the similar hump on the back wall problem with my Ranger

I probably should have given fiberglass a shot

12" Fi Q w/ BP option

I dont really like the look of that joint on your box. seems prone to failure from the get go.

Id recommendd breaking it sand it down then drill some holes and run carriage bolts + tons of glue.

If thats not an option id dato that one board so you have more than one surface glued.

Yeah I'm new to box building so I have no experience with bracing. The box is only 1.3ft^3 so I figured this would help a little bit. I'm sorry man I have no idea what a dato or carriage bolts mean.

Yeah I'm new to box building so I have no experience with bracing. The box is only 1.3ft^3 so I figured this would help a little bit. I'm sorry man I have no idea what a dato or carriage bolts mean.

No worries, everyone has to start somewhere and shame on me for picking on your project. At least you posses the testicular fortitude to attempt it yourself.

After you finish that one the stuff you learn will become invaluable in your next project

Updates,

So I stretched some fleece, many staples, and half a gallon of resin later and I got the first layer on the back of my box done. I sure hope the second third and forth layers that are actual 1.5 oz chopped mat dont use so much resin. ecause I only bought one gallon LMAO !!!

Anyways what you're all here for PICTURES !!!!!

install%20089%20%28Medium%29.jpg
install%20090%20%28Medium%29.jpg
install%20091%20%28Medium%29.jpg
install%20092%20%28Medium%29.jpg
install%20093%20%28Medium%29.jpg
install%20094%20%28Medium%29.jpg
install%20095%20%28Medium%29.jpg
install%20096%20%28Medium%29.jpg
install%20097%20%28Medium%29.jpg
install%20098%20%28Medium%29.jpg

wait a second, why didnt you stretch the fleece inside of the U recessions on the back?? arent those supposed to fit around the pertruding metal in the truck? from the looks of it now, it wont fit??

wait a second, why didnt you stretch the fleece inside of the U recessions on the back?? arent those supposed to fit around the pertruding metal in the truck? from the looks of it now, it wont fit??
sorry we had to point that out.

You gotta staple the fleece all the way through those U joints to clear the rear body cutout.

sorry we had to point that out.You gotta staple the fleece all the way through those U joints to clear the rear body cutout.
might be able to cut it out with an air-saw after it cures and just redo the areas in the U joint. personally, i would scrap the back wall FG, replace the flat areas with MDF and just FG the U areas. i know it ***** to hear about mistakes, but better to do it right the first time and not later down the road.

I didn't make any mistakes but thanks for assuming you know more about my project than I do. I intentionally glassed over the channel, as you will see in future updates I plan to cut it out and glass the inside of the trough.

Simple enough, I didnt use MDF on the front or back because I need the space I gain by useing fiberglass.

Any other questons? Its hard to put my minds eye into thoughts but I know where im going and how to get there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.