New build for Ct sounds strato 8’s

Participant count
  • Participants list

Ridinhi
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Here is the center console I will be building for my truck. Would like opinions/self experience as far as which way to face subs/port.
DC996244-EF21-4BB4-8B0A-2808D4BC69B2.jpeg
936871F5-30D5-418B-9057-567BFE3FDD9C.jpeg
517F78B5-5B57-4361-87A4-7A2596DDDFD1.jpeg
4AB26366-D0C5-467E-958C-4B2A40D7DAF8.jpeg

Through all the research I did before building a console box it seemed Sub down port forward was most recommended..

This was coming from people who actually built and tested enclosures in every orientation.

2nd option I'd choose is sub back (if you have 6" of clearance from the back wall) with port firing back as well.. (have not heard this configuration though)

Through all the research I did before building a console box it seemed Sub down port forward was most recommended..

This was coming from people who actually built and tested enclosures in every orientation.

2nd option I'd choose is sub back (if you have 6" of clearance from the back wall) with port firing back as well.. (have not heard this configuration though)
Definitely will consider the first option

How much should the box/console be raised off the floor? 2.5-3” good? I will lay a hard surface using .25” mdf for the subs to have a hard surface to fire off of.

Family is most important. We can deff wait for the build later,and appreciate learning . I hope your Wife gets to feeling better and things work out well.

The subs really don’t need a ton of room to downfire, from my experience. I’ve done quite a few downfiring designs, iirc a lot I do are like 1.5-2-2.5” of space. Downfiring with a port is a little different, because it’s a lot more pressure underneath. There’s math you can do with making sure the underneath side openings are tall enough to be slightly more than the net Sd of the woofers combined. If there’s more side wall gap than Sd of subs, then there won’t be extra pressurization of the front waves, which is what you typically want to avoid, but it kind of depends on where the subs are, like how close they are to each other and how close they are to any other object the might cover up the gaps. You can use the Sd of the subs to fairly closely determine what the minimum height is that you need. My point is that with downfiring subs only, you can probably get away with not needing a ton of gap underneath this box, helps give you more internal or wiggle room.

I would fire the port forward underneath the dash/up against the firewall or tranny hump.

You could also do maybe 2 external ports running low behind the seats firing into each rear corner at the back of the cab, like 2x 4” aeros.

I’d suggest all ports be fairly close to a wall, there’s math around that too where you can use total port area to determine the minimum amount of distance needed to not choke or effectively lengthen the port, that way you can get it as close as possible to help create more pressure around the opening, which will help the box load better, which has definitely been a problem for trucks I’ve done in the past. Sometimes trucks and the boxes people typically do due to space restrictions make a situation where the subs can unload easier, so keep that in mind.

The subs really don’t need a ton of room to downfire, from my experience. I’ve done quite a few downfiring designs, iirc a lot I do are like 1.5-2-2.5” of space. Downfiring with a port is a little different, because it’s a lot more pressure underneath. There’s math you can do with making sure the underneath side openings are tall enough to be slightly more than the net Sd of the woofers combined. If there’s more side wall gap than Sd of subs, then there won’t be extra pressurization of the front waves, which is what you typically want to avoid, but it kind of depends on where the subs are, like how close they are to each other and how close they are to any other object the might cover up the gaps. You can use the Sd of the subs to fairly closely determine what the minimum height is that you need. My point is that with downfiring subs only, you can probably get away with not needing a ton of gap underneath this box, helps give you more internal or wiggle room.

I would fire the port forward underneath the dash/up against the firewall or tranny hump.

You could also do maybe 2 external ports running low behind the seats firing into each rear corner at the back of the cab, like 2x 4” aeros.

I’d suggest all ports be fairly close to a wall, there’s math around that too where you can use total port area to determine the minimum amount of distance needed to not choke or effectively lengthen the port, that way you can get it as close as possible to help create more pressure around the opening, which will help the box load better, which has definitely been a problem for trucks I’ve done in the past. Sometimes trucks and the boxes people typically do due to space restrictions make a situation where the subs can unload easier, so keep that in mind.
See the port in this pic, having the port in the bottom off the box is not possible due to having the subs mounting on that plane. So, seems my option it to design with the port on top, if that makes sense
1C2BD7F7-45A5-4501-9A0C-6151A04C6233.jpeg

I like the behind both seats idea and have proven results with one of the designs you did for me. I’m going to try firing foward close to dash this time. This way has me very curious thanks to @deez283 advice

Hmm, I’m trying to get a mental pic but I can’t,lol. I know your not feeling well but can you kind of give me an idea of what you mean?

You can put the subs at the back of the box and bend the port like an accordion at the front of the box. I’m not sure if I have an example. The port doesn’t have to L, you can make the port bend into a U or S shape, that way it doesn’t run into the subs.

You can put the subs at the back of the box and bend the port like an accordion at the front of the box. I’m not sure if I have an example. The port doesn’t have to L, you can make the port bend into a U or S shape, that way it doesn’t run into the subs.
Gotcha. My problem is I’m not good with calculating the port area/volume. I used bassbox pro and got a design. It was simple straightforward. It did the calculations for me. It’s limited thought when trying to place a port a certain way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...