new box design opinions needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

poolman966554

Senior VIP Member
PA
so i currently have 2 sa-12s in a ported, and Im thinking of adding another.

what suck5 is i broke the dam camera lens on my s6, so i cant simply draw a simple pic.. so ms paint will have to do.

frprZmf.jpg

here i have already worked out the numbers to make the box a "subs up port rear" for my suv.

that said, is it really worth the extra work to snake the port around the bottom vs a simple side port??

how will a side port subs up wovk in a suv? the port face would be 1" from the panel..

also note, that the pics not to scale. i only have 38" width to work with.. and cant really go deeper if i want to get to my spare. Otherwise a deeper box with a simple slot would work.

3- 12's will be slightly staggered to get them inside the box as it is.

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
a couple things i left out, is the calc of box is 6 ft3 net, port tuned to 31hz. port area is 16" per cu ft

i was looking to power these three subs from a sundown scv2000 in parallel at .66 ohm with an agm up front, and a larger agm in the rear

i could, but would that be efficient? im squeezing every inch side to side..

so the side port version would have no breathing room

edit: 38" is the same as my avatar, its tight (really i have 1/4" side to side.)

i could, but would that be efficient? im squeezing every inch side to side.. so the side port version would have no breathing room

edit: 38" is the same as my avatar, its tight (really i have 1/4" side to side.)
I mean a side slot port firing rear with the subs up. If you have enough depth because the subs will have to be squeezed in. The port height/width ratio will be better probably than the bottom port.

i really dont wanna do much deeper towards the rear hatch, as i wont be able to access the spare. ive built a custom rear floor as soon as i bought the crv. the subs in the pic is what i built the separation for. i figured id have enough room for sparer removal.

the sa-12s i have now overhang 1 inch towards the rear. i think i can give atmost 1 more inch towards rear and still be ok.

2" over the lip is what the calc is on the box i posted above, 18" deep off the seats. i could extend the angle towards seats a bit, but thatll eat up the sub/front stage amps room..

edit: forgot to add pics

BAObe7E.jpg

wjOCiuM.jpg

What are your max dimensions, leaving room for a rear firing port?

I have done sa-12's up firing and it does work well. It was in the mercury version of a ford escape and in another but I forget what.

What are your max dimensions, leaving room for a rear firing port?
I have done sa-12's up firing and it does work well. It was in the mercury version of a ford escape and in another but I forget what.
i love how my current sa-12s sound, so i def wanna keep the same configuration.

exact measurements? going off memory, i have 38" wide, 18" deep @ 17" tall(but i can go higher in height). hence the rear angle in the ms paint pic, thats my variable. i can barely fit these 3 side to side. thats why i was wondering if i should side port, or go rear port again with all the additional effort.

i love how my current sa-12s sound, so i def wanna keep the same configuration.
exact measurements? going off memory, i have 38" wide, 18" deep @ 17" tall(but i can go higher in height). hence the rear angle in the ms paint pic, thats my variable. i can barely fit these 3 side to side. thats why i was wondering if i should side port, or go rear port again with all the additional effort.
What tuning you looking for on this box?

i know it may be hard to tell from my avatar, but i can go 7" higher, as long as i conform to the rear seats from my current box position.

im bout 3/4 way done modeling the box in sketchup. prolly finish tomorrow as its late

I mean a side slot port firing rear with the subs up. If you have enough depth because the subs will have to be squeezed in. The port height/width ratio will be better probably than the bottom port.
i seemed to overlook that last night. is this something i should reconsider/ look into??

i was under the assumption, that as long as the port area was correct, it could be any shape?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.