new amp need help setting it

puppet_1211
10+ year member

i just purchased the crunch pza2000.1 monoblock i have 2 kicker cvr 12s 4 ohm dvc. im going to wire them to 1 ohm the amp is 1 ohm stable. ok i need to know how to set the levels on my amp there is a low pass 40-150hz a subsonic filter 15-55hz a bass boost 0-12db and a level 6-.2v! my headunit is a kenwood mp208 i think it has a 2v out put on the rca jacks.i also plan on doing the big 3 durring this install thanks for all the help

puppet

ps...my old amp was a crappy pro acoustic it burned out on me after 3 months but i cant complain i only paid 300 for the amp subs box and 4 gauge wire kit installed!

honestly it may be worth your $20 to have a shop tune it for you.. I am saying this now because it seems you might be over your head on it.. you can ask the shop if they will let you watch and you can ask questions.. if you really want to tune it yourself search setting amp gains..

well i understand the basics of it it really just the subsonic filter that i dont under stand and there is no shop around where i live the closest one is like and hour or so away but i know u take the square root of ur rms wattage and that will give u the volts u need. my last amp was set in a shop and it fried also i have a fosgate amp and 2 p2 10s and both the amp and subs fried like a piece of bacon at the same time and they were done in a shop

honestly it may be worth your $20 to have a shop tune it for you.. I am saying this now because it seems you might be over your head on it.. you can ask the shop if they will let you watch and you can ask questions.. if you really want to tune it yourself search setting amp gains..
just go to reputable one that doesnt sell junk

Subsonic filter is the opposite of your low pass filter. The low pass keeps the higher frequencies from getting through (like 100+hz). The Subsonic is to keep extremely low frequencies (that can damage your woofer) from getting through (think 20hz and down). Generally the rule I've heard is 10-15hz below your tuning frequency but pretty much anywhere around 20-25hz would be fine...

I see a lot of LPF settings around 60-100hz, I always start with mine around 80, and work from there. Subsonic you can usually set around 25hz. though I've heard it doesn't really matter if you're in a sealed box. And if you're in a prefab ported box, those are usually tuned higher and you won't have to worry about your Kickers digging too low. But like gump said, somewhere around 20-25hz is a safe bet. Bass Boost I'd leave flat until you set your gain.

but i know u take the square root of ur rms wattage and that will give u the volts u need.
not exactly... you take the square root of rms wattage x impendance... I.E. 500 watt amp at 4 ohms

(sqrt(500x4))=44.721

500 watts at 1 ohm

(sqrt(500x1))=22.360

so you can see the HUGE difference that the impendance load comes into play when doing the math...

also, i wouldnt really advise just using a DMM on an over rated amp... as its really hard not to clip them by accident, without an o-scope

I see a lot of LPF settings around 60-100hz, I always start with mine around 80, and work from there. Subsonic you can usually set around 25hz. though I've heard it doesn't really matter if you're in a sealed box. And if you're in a prefab ported box, those are usually tuned higher and you won't have to worry about your Kickers digging too low. But like gump said, somewhere around 20-25hz is a safe bet. Bass Boost I'd leave flat until you set your gain.
Actually the higher the tuning frequency the more the subsonic filter matters. You don't want frequencies that are far below your tuning to get to your sub.

oh one more q the stock alt in my truck has like 8 gauge wire running to the battery and grounds would it help to do the bug 3 with 4 gauge or would it not really matterbecause its not an h/o alt the stock puts out 136amps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.