need to upgrade my system...please help

I think you just got some advice that isn't that great.

budget amps; Power Acoustik, Profile, Hifonics. They will all be decent inexpensive amps.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ That sub for 50$ on the home page, that would be great if you don't want to spend a ton, I believe they're about 65$ shipped each.

As for a new HU, you can look through the classifieds on here and find something decent for very cheap. Or Sony's HU's aren't terrible, or maybe a "low end" Alpine.

so you're saying get rid of the insignia amp?

thats a good hu? b/c i like the price //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

If you dont midn buying used you can make a brand new system for 500.

200 for new hu, there allways some good ones in th classifieds

100-175 for some comps. Once again theres allways some good ones for sale in the classfieds

100 bux for an amp for power them, profile would be easy to find in the price range.

as for subs, if you like the way they sound then leave em if you want some thing more. Then id suggest sell your current hu and subs and amp. Then find a new substage.

Ill go see what i can find for you

HU:http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326102

Good price for the unit

Comp Amp:http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323018

Sub:http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323929

15" mag great sub kinda rapes your budget but if you wanted to upgrade this would do it.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323787

fosgate HE2 another good sub and a bit cheaper

Sub Amp:http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324943

1100 maybe a lil overrated for sits price it will power many subs

Comps: Pg rsds can be had for 90-140 bux, raindbow soundslines 150-190 and on and on

IMO Id get the

hu for 175

comp amp for 75

sub amp 150

and just wait for a nice sell on some comps or use the coupon you have on ebay and swoop on some nice comps.

After you get those current peices i listed. Sell you subs, amp, and hu. Then buy a new sub and comps. Then you would a killer system.

i dont want to upgrade the subs. was thinking about buying a better amp to power the subs i already have though. and use the amp i have to power the inside speakers, for now. eventually will probably get rid of the insignia amp.

that guy doesnt even say what kind of head unit that is? but since the ppl were saying its a great deal i guess i'll go for it...

i dont want to upgrade the subs. was thinking about buying a better amp to power the subs i already have though. and use the amp i have to power the inside speakers, for now. eventually will probably get rid of the insignia amp.

that guy doesnt even say what kind of head unit that is? but since the ppl were saying its a great deal i guess i'll go for it...
the one i posted?

Its an alpine

appreciate all the feedback.
the front speakers do sound pretty **** shitty to be honest. i think the one on my passenger door might even be blown, or atleast close to it.

the subs sound pretty good, i like them. so you just suggest getting new wiring from the subs to the amp? what kind of wiring then?

what about pioneer premier head units? those are the ones i been looking at. then i read some reviews on them and people were saying they were annoying because the big knob on it controls too many different things and is a nuisance. so i just don't know. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
I am a fan of Kenwood head units. Im not sure how their lower end stuff is, but the higher end single DIN excelons are quite nice (some can be had for about $200).

Im going to tell you the same thing I tell everyone. DONT try and make a small budget cover a bunch of changes to your setup. It will be MUCH better in the long run if you simply use the money you have now to buy one or two quality pieces that you will hang on to even when everything else gets upgraded.

In my opinion, your money would be best spent on a set of nice component speakers with a decent amp to power them. Keep your apline speakers in the back, and just trash whatever is up front and replace them with nice components.

Ill look around and see what suggestions I can come up with.

ya....sounds like a plan...the front ones are trash

so new speakers for front doors

and an amp to power them.

and a new head unit.

i dont understand how to upgrade the wiring, since everyone says what i have now is crap. whats some good wiring to get?

but i am going to keep my insignia amp for now and will probably eventually replace it. but should i use that to power the door speakers or keep it powering the subs? i got advice to just have the front door speakers hooked to an amp and not amp the back door ones, think thats what i'm gonna do. i guess i'll keep the insignia amp to power the two front door speakers? and get a new one to power the kenwood subs.

ya....sounds like a plan...the front ones are trash

so new speakers for front doors

and an amp to power them.

and a new head unit.

i dont understand how to upgrade the wiring, since everyone says what i have now is crap. whats some good wiring to get?
Hmm....that is pushing it in terms of getting good stuff and staying within your price range; I had forgotten that you really want to ditch the HU. A friend of mine was in this exact same situation and we decided to just go with a nice Kenwood Excelon head unit and save the rest of the cash until he had more available. Honestly, seeing you have a better system than stock as it is, I would definitely suggest the same thing (and moving the alpine speakers up front). Look at all the Kenwood Excelons except for the KDC-X991 (its their nicest one and its what I have, but its expensive and not worth the extra features for what you are doing).

I would do the amp's the other way around. If you have to choose between a nice amp for the components or subs, always put it with the component speakers. I spent 3x as much on my components and amp for them than I did on the sub and its amp. Here is a complete run through of what I would do for the time being:

1) Find a good head unit; it will probly be in the $180-250 range. Look for the features you want, but make sure it has either 4v or 5v RCA outputs. Im pretty sure all HU's have seperate front, rear, and sub rca's now, but just make sure.... Also, all of the kenwood excelons (I think) can read files from a flash drive; so unless you really want the ipod itself to use other places, just spend $20-40 on a big flash drive.

2) Move the shitty speakers to the back and use the head unit's built in amp to power them.

3) Move the alpines up front. I would suggest testing them on the head unit's amp as well (It will have 4 low powered channels, probly 20-30watts rms each and 50w peak each or so). They wont sound perfect, but if they sound decent I would just leave it and save the money you would have spent on a half- ass amp for the half assed speakers. IMO, it would be dumb to spend money/plan any part of your build around speakers you dont want to keep in the long run if you can help it.

If all of the above works out well, you shouldn't have spent more than $250. Then, I would save up until you have the cash to purchase some nice component speakers (for the front doors) and an amp for them at the same time. Just some brands to take a look at when you get to this point: Rainbow, Focal (polyglass line), MB Quart (not sure how much the q-line is). Obviously go with 6.5's if you can fit them. As for an amp for them, JL amps are pretty good. the 300/2 is a quality proven amp, and represents a pretty good value, but would probably be a little overkill for any speakers you are looking at. See what they have that is a little less powerful.

thats some good info right there.

and ya want to get an itouch regardless.

kenwood excelons huh? hmmm, u know where i would be able to get one at the best price?

woofersetc.com is not an authorized dealer for most, if not all of their stuff so you cant file for the factory warranty, but they offer a 1 year warranty on their own instead.

I put a $2.3k order through with them last year and have nothing but good things to say.

millionbuy is a great website, but have you heard how clean the signal from a 4V pre out is? it makes a lot of difference, at least in my experience.
x2 on the clarity thing...but if you can get a good amp and good speakers...pre volt wont mean that much...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.