Need To Move More Air

What I've got: 10" Kicker L7 in a sealed box running at 500 watts from a Soundstream RUB500.2.

I'm pretty happy with the volume I'm getting with the solobaric, but I'd really like to feel the bass more than I am right now. So I'm looking to keep the same amp, and switch to either 2 12s at 250 watts each, or 1 15 at 500 watts. Only looking to spend in the $150-$175 range, so I could probably swing a new 15, but a pair of 12s would most likely have to be used.

Music: Mostly electronic (Flux Pavilion, Knife Party, etc), with some less bass heavy rap (Aesop Rock, Immortal Technique) and alternative (Chevelle, Seether) thrown in for good measure.

From browsing the forums, it looks like the usual suspects for a single 15 would be SSA Dcon, Sundown E series, or Obsidian, but I'm open to any suggestions. Again, main goal isn't necessarily to be "louder" but to feel the bass more than with my 10" L7.

Thanks.

What I've got: 10" Kicker L7 in a sealed box running at 500 watts from a Soundstream RUB500.2.
I'm pretty happy with the volume I'm getting with the solobaric, but I'd really like to feel the bass more than I am right now. So I'm looking to keep the same amp, and switch to either 2 12s at 250 watts each, or 1 15 at 500 watts. Only looking to spend in the $150-$175 range, so I could probably swing a new 15, but a pair of 12s would most likely have to be used.

Music: Mostly electronic (Flux Pavilion, Knife Party, etc), with some less bass heavy rap (Aesop Rock, Immortal Technique) and alternative (Chevelle, Seether) thrown in for good measure.

From browsing the forums, it looks like the usual suspects for a single 15 would be SSA Dcon, Sundown E series, or Obsidian, but I'm open to any suggestions. Again, main goal isn't necessarily to be "louder" but to feel the bass more than with my 10" L7.

Thanks.
If all you want is to feel more bass, just take some of your budget monies and do a thorough research on the sub you have and build a ported box for it. This would be the SMARTEST thing you could do with what little money you have to work with..You are wanting to discard a better sub than any 2 12's or single 15 you could buy with that money. Now if you were to spend a little cash and make the L7 put out the sound it is capable of, and still not satisfied, then you know you need to go Amp shopping.....then sub shopping, etc. Play smart with your money.

Awesome, thanks for the responses. So it sounds like th suggested course of action would be to 1) try a new box, 2) more power, 3) look for new subs. I almost did it backwards. Unfortunately I lack the time, tools, and skill to build my own box, but there is a local shop I can use.

Space-wise, I drive a Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape clone), so I have a decent amount of space to work with.

By the way, the L7 is the 2003 model, which was rated for 600 rms. I originally bought it to go in the trunk of a Miata, but when I craved more bass, I had a box custom made for a JL 15W3 (which I no longer have, unfortunately). Took up the entire trunk, but at the time I was the only guy in the Indy Miata club running a 15.

Time to go do some box research. Thanks again for the advice.

Awesome, thanks for the responses. So it sounds like th suggested course of action would be to 1) try a new box, 2) more power, 3) look for new subs. I almost did it backwards. Unfortunately I lack the time, tools, and skill to build my own box, but there is a local shop I can use.
Space-wise, I drive a Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape clone), so I have a decent amount of space to work with.

By the way, the L7 is the 2003 model, which was rated for 600 rms. I originally bought it to go in the trunk of a Miata, but when I craved more bass, I had a box custom made for a JL 15W3 (which I no longer have, unfortunately). Took up the entire trunk, but at the time I was the only guy in the Indy Miata club running a 15.

Time to go do some box research. Thanks again for the advice.
If you shop for amps and find one you like, ask questions about it, such as minimum impedance load, efficiency, etc. It is a lot easier to find a sub or subs with the correct voice coil configurations that fall into a budget than having to settle for the cheapest amp you can find to power your subs at a given ohm load. If SQ and electrical efficiency is even a possible issue, you will not look to 1ohm power from a class d amp....you will look to 2ohm, or better, 4ohm power for the best in sound and efficiency.

Found the manual for the L7, and there are box specs for a 2.25 cubic foot slot ported enclosure tuned to 38hz. This sounds like the best option for me. I plan to take the specs to my local shop to have it built. Anyone have a ballpark estimate for what a box like this would cost?

Found the manual for the L7, and there are box specs for a 2.25 cubic foot slot ported enclosure tuned to 38hz. This sounds like the best option for me. I plan to take the specs to my local shop to have it built. Anyone have a ballpark estimate for what a box like this would cost?
I'd like to see 3 cube with 45 square inches of port (equivelant of 8" round). Most manufacturers reccomend too-small boxes for their subs so that people will buy more.

3 cubes is big even for a single 12.
Many 12's want 3 or 4 to really get going. I haven't looked at Kicker10" specs or played with them, but from the square ones I've seen and used their "reccomended" sizes are about 2/3 of what they should be.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.