Need some build advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

2500WATTS

CarAudio.com Newbie
This is gonna be pretty long, so thanks ahead for taking the time to read it

I recently acquired a 2007 Ram 2500 that I plan to keep until it flat out won't drive anymore, so I wanna do this build right. (However I'm also not an audiophile so I don't want to or even *need* to spend a ton of money on this)

——The Radio——

Obviously the radio is a big upgrade and in this rig I wanna have one of the touch screens that way I can run Android Auto/Apple Car Play for music, maps, apps, etc. Again I don't wanna spend an excessive amount of money (preferably $500 as the *MAXIMUM* but lower is better), but I still want it to be nice, here's a few things I'm looking for:

—Android Auto/Apple Car Play (Wireless for AA if possible, tho having my phone plugged in isn't a huge deal)

—Decent processor (Don't want it to be super slow or unresponsive to touch)

—SXM Support

—Good LEDs (not necessary, but I really like the colors (I know I'm a child lol) so really the more buttons, to give the ability to have lights, the better)

—If possible, needs to work with the controls on the steering wheel

——The Sub——

Ok, so my original thought was two 8/10s under the rear seats, but I don't wanna take up that storage space. Then I remembered renting a BMW a while back and loving the bass, only to find out the subs were under the *front* seats. Would this be possible on a Ram? Do you have any other location ideas?

Unfortunately its not a megacab, otherwise I would put them behind the back seats

I suppose worst case scenario, I either lose the storage under my rear seats, or I at least just have one on the single seat side

(I'll talk about this more later, but if I get a whole system amp, do they make ones with two sub outputs, or do I have to get a seperate amp just for the two subs? Also do they make sub amps with two outputs, I usually like to use DVC subs or would I need to just get two 4ohm single voice coil subs and run them in parallel (putting the impedance at 2ohms)?

——The Speakers——

Ok, so its a Laramie and comes with the Infinity audio system, which sounds decent, but I don't know much about them. Are they any good? Do I need to replace them? Could I just get an aftermarket amp to give them some more juice?

If I do replace them, as said I don't need anything fancy (mostly because I don't wanna spend a ton (otherwise I'd get Dynaudio or something like that)) so I'll likely just go with Kicker, unless there's a brand similar to that price range that would be substantially better?

——The Amp(s)——

This is mostly a question of where to mount them, unless you have a brand/model in mind specfically for what I'm wanting to do, its generally pretty easy to find one for the situation (I really like Sound Ordnance's amps).

I've really struggled with a clean install for amps, my last pickup (03 Tacoma) it just sat on the floor under the driver seat, which worked fine, but like I said I want to do this build well, have everything really clean and organized... as much stuff hidden as possible. Also like I said above, if possible and required, I may be putting the sub(s) under the front seats so I wouldn't have rooms for the amp(s)

ANYWAY, how would you do this? I've read that the factory Infinity Audio amp is mounted behind the dash on the driver side. Would it be possible to fit to aftermarket amps back there (or one if I got one that also has sub output, tho it would be to be able to power two subs)?

——Process Order——

I think I know what this technically would be, but I figured I'd double check to make sure there wasn't something I'm missing

1. Upgrade the radio to give me the ability to upgrade everything else, but also changing any audio tuning
  2. Add subs and sub amp/whole system amp with sub output
  3. Upgrade speakers or get better amp to give them more power (unless that was done previously)
——Conclusion——

Thanks again for anyone who took the time to read this or any of the sections, if there's anything I'm missing or any suggestions you may have that I didn't mention, please let me know. Like I said many times, I wanna get this right so I don't have to redo anything in the future

Thanks

Most 5 channels amps let you wire the 5th channel (sub) to either 2ohm or 1 ohm...as long as the subs aren't wired lower than the 5th channel is stable at you can run as many subs off it as you like provided it has enough power

Something like that has enough power to run a good sub or two

Last edited:
JL has some slim subs, maybe one of those will fit. Alpine has some pretty small amps, you could put that/those under the passenger seat?

i like JL or Image Dynamics speakers

for deck, check Crutchfield. you pick your vehicle, it will tell you what will work

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...