Need more bass

Daryl rsv4

Apr 25, 2017
SoCal
Been awhile since I posted. Currently have a single SSA Icon 12” being pushed by a SQ 1200.2 in a BMW 435, but want more bass. Is it possible that another single 12” with more power would make a substantial difference, or really need to go with 2 12”s? Appreciate it..

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Icons are great subs so either your box is subpar or you're a basshead, if the latter is the case adding another Icon and more power should do the trick. I'm betting you need a decent box though.

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
Are you hooked up to the factory hu using a crappy loc? You may have factory eq and resulting rolloff. Probably need a dsp to give you a flat and complete signal

OP
D

Daryl rsv4

Apr 25, 2017
SoCal
Factory hu with an Audison bit 10. Really wanted to retain the factory aesthetics as much as possible.

Don’t get me wrong, this 12” hits pretty hard and I believe 90% of people would be plenty satisfied. I’m the 10% that wants more.

Would a Sundown Z 12 paired with a SQ 2250 hit substantially harder or no?

Appreciate the feedback..

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Factory hu with an Audison bit 10. Really wanted to retain the factory aesthetics as much as possible.

Don’t get me wrong, this 12” hits pretty hard and I believe 90% of people would be plenty satisfied. I’m the 10% that wants more.

Would a Sundown Z 12 paired with a SQ 2250 hit substantially harder or no?

Appreciate the feedback..
would be the limiting factor. Guaranteed that sub is at 60% capability. DSPs are nice for the SQ kind of bass but the signal strength for SPL output is lacking due to the cut off signal from the stock head unit and the DSP trying to rebuild it(which is FAR from perfect)

H_L

Apr 19, 2015
Australia
Most factory headunits have a roll off effectively deleting low to very low frequencies, lets face it 6inch door speakers are not subwoofers and will never produce real low frequencies like subs do so they have a roll off protecting the speakers so you can turn it up a “little” more and retain some what of the sound quality without the low frequencies distorting or sounding muddy etc…

You will find that even though it has a roll off it usually doesn’t cut out 100% of the low frequencies so you may be able to bump up the low end of the spectrum via an external EQ or processor and add the lows back in…. to a point. I know it’s a dodgy way of doing it and that’s why I say “to a point” but it has worked for me TO A POINT in the past haha

A lot of new cars you can’t change the headunit but If you can change the headunit that would effectively have endless possibilities and you can have the system you want.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds