Need Mid - Range Speaker Help! :D

Participant count
  • Participant list

LaidD3athl0rd
10+ year member

Hi there,

Pretty simple question.

I was wondering... I want to add a 3 inch mid range speaker that sits between 500hz and 4khz or around that.

But amplifiers do not have band pass as an option, if i set my amp to high pass that's 80hz and up, which means it will probably harm the speaker as the mid woofer only goes up to 4000hz respectfully.

So the point i'm making is that I can't set it to full-range because it can only handle mid frequencies. I do not have the money for an expensive DSP just yet but it will come in time.

However in the mean time what are my options... do i have to run a passive crossover to limit the frequency signal to the speakers or will it be fine just running it on Full Range.

Thank you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Hi there,
Pretty simple question.

I was wondering... I want to add a 3 inch mid range speaker that sits between 500hz and 4khz or around that.

But amplifiers do not have band pass as an option, if i set my amp to high pass that's 80hz and up, which means it will probably harm the speaker as the mid woofer only goes up to 4000hz respectfully.

So the point i'm making is that I can't set it to full-range because it can only handle mid frequencies. I do not have the money for an expensive DSP just yet but it will come in time.

However in the mean time what are my options... do i have to run a passive crossover to limit the frequency signal to the speakers or will it be fine just running it on Full Range.

Thank you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
In-Line Crossovers in the Car Audio Department at Parts Express | 405

cross em over

Alright, I understand.

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Now that I'm looking a crossover components and i want to run a 3 inch mid range speaker in my A pillar, what frequency should i zone it to?

My current component set runs from 80hz to 2.5khz or sometimes to 4khz... should i cut off my mid range speaker when my tweeter kicks in?

Also when should my 3" mid range start? 250hz? 500hz? 800hz? etc.

I already have below 80hz covered so don't worry about any lower.

Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Alright, I understand. Thank you very much for the quick response.

Now that I'm looking a crossover components and i want to run a 3 inch midrange speaker in my A pillar, what frequency should i zone it to?

My current component set runs from 80hz to 2.5khz or sometimes to 4khz... should i cut off my mid range speaker when my tweeter kicks in?

Also when should my 3" mid range start? 250hz? 500hz? 800hz? etc.

I already have below 80hz covered so don't worry about any lower.

Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I would start it around 400 or 500 and run it up to 4k to 5k where the tweet can take over. Use the mid you have as more of a midbass...between 80 and 400ish. Btw, there are plenty of amps with active variable bandpass options.

You won't harm a speaker by allowing it to play high frequencies. We use a low pass filter on midrange speakers because most speakers of this type get much worse sounding outside of an ideal range of frequencies. We call that the speaker's passband.

There are ways to pick your low and high cutoff frequencies for a midrange, but conservatively we can go with 500 Hz on the low end with a 12 dB/octave slope. The top end ideally is also adjustable, and you can set that by ear with something like 2.5 kHz as the midrange/tweeter crossover frequency. It's ok to go higher than that. If you tell us about the rest of your system, like where the speakers are installed, your head unit, amplifiers, etc. we can give you more detailed guidance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.