Need Help Wiring Two 4 Ohm subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

TeamWagy

Texas
To start off, I am a greenhorn when it comes to car audio. That's why I am desperate for some help from knowledgable people! To start off, I am trying to wire two kicker 4 ohm 12 inch kicker cvr's to a Jensen duba1450 amp. I don't even know if they are compatible or not. I just bought the subs and box the other day used and I don't know how to wire them the correct way since there seems to be many ways to do it. The subs themselves have two wires on them, one connects both positives together and the other connects both negatives together, then the wires leading to the terminal cups are connected to one positive and one negative. My subwoofer box has one terminal cup for each subwoofer, so I was just planning on wiring both terminals to both channels of my amp. If that way is okay, please tell me!!! I also don't know if my amp can handle these two 12's. I am waiting for wire to come in from ebay so I have some time I just want to make sure I wire them correctly and don't break anything. Once again, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2_subs_DVC_4_ohm_2ch.jpg

this is how I was planning to wire it. Can my amp handle this??

Bump. Is there no one on this forum that can help me? I thought there would be.
idk that amp man... that diagram u have is right, IF u have 2 channel amp or 4 channel amp and only using 2 channels then yes amp will see a 2 ohm stereo load

To start off, I am a greenhorn when it comes to car audio. That's why I am desperate for some help from knowledgable people! To start off, I am trying to wire two kicker 4 ohm 12 inch kicker cvr's to a Jensen duba1450 amp. I don't even know if they are compatible or not. I just bought the subs and box the other day used and I don't know how to wire them the correct way since there seems to be many ways to do it. The subs themselves have two wires on them, one connects both positives together and the other connects both negatives together, then the wires leading to the terminal cups are connected to one positive and one negative. My subwoofer box has one terminal cup for each subwoofer, so I was just planning on wiring both terminals to both channels of my amp. If that way is okay, please tell me!!! I also don't know if my amp can handle these two 12's. I am waiting for wire to come in from ebay so I have some time I just want to make sure I wire them correctly and don't break anything. Once again, PLEASE HELP ME!!!
nope looks like your amp is a mono amp only rated to 2ohm load if u wire 2 subs to 2 ohm each thats a 1 ohm load i highly doubt that amp will do that unless u see it say 1 ohm stable somewhere., if not u can only run 1 2 ohm sub or wire each to 8 ohm and end up with 4 ohm load but u won't get much power out of that amp at 4 ohm.. u need amp like mine (look in my sig) or 2 svc 4 ohm or 2 dvc 2 ohms wired to 4 ohm each..

nope looks like your amp is a mono amp only rated to 2ohm load if u wire 2 subs to 2 ohm each thats a 1 ohm load i highly doubt that amp will do that unless u see it say 1 ohm stable somewhere., if not u can only run 1 2 ohm sub or wire each to 8 ohm and end up with 4 ohm load but u won't get much power out of that amp at 4 ohm.. u need amp like mine (look in my sig) or 2 svc 4 ohm or 2 dvc 2 ohms wired to 4 ohm each..
Your thinking dvc.....he said 4 ohm subs.

Well since OP didn't say DVC, prob doesn't know, going off based on his saying.
Yeah, I see your point... the OP did describe it as having wires from each pos to pos and neg to neg... it was a little hard to read... I had to imagine what he was describing... LOL!

To clarify some things, they are indeed dvc subs I just completely forgot to mention that lol forgive me I'm new. Secondly, the amp has a 400 watts rms rating and the subs combined have an 800 watts rms rating. I'm pretty sure this isn't in the 75% to 150% that most people say to be in. It's only 50%. Will this damage my subs if I run it like this? I've read some posts saying clipping can occur. I just don't want to damage my equipment. Also thanks to all for giving very helpful responses! It is much appreciated!

You'll be OK if you series/parallel the subs... just don't expect too much... it'll be less than 150 watts to each sub... better off you get a different amp... most people in that situation (low power) will turn the gains way up tryin' to get louder and that will kill speakers... I'd look into another amp... there are hundreds that'll fit your application... just don't get TOO cheap...

To clarify some things, they are indeed dvc subs I just completely forgot to mention that lol forgive me I'm new. Secondly, the amp has a 400 watts rms rating and the subs combined have an 800 watts rms rating. I'm pretty sure this isn't in the 75% to 150% that most people say to be in. It's only 50%. Will this damage my subs if I run it like this? I've read some posts saying clipping can occur. I just don't want to damage my equipment. Also thanks to all for giving very helpful responses! It is much appreciated!
There is no rule on RMS ratings. You would have to have 3x amplifier power to match a speakers RMS rating. It doesn't mean much, it's one spec of many.

You only need enough power to meet your output goal. That's up to you.

You control clipping. Don't overdrive the amp trying to get more then it's capable of and you won't hurt anything.

Think about it, if underpowering was bad your speakers would blow everytime you turned the volume down.

You'll be OK if you series/parallel the subs... just don't expect too much... it'll be less than 150 watts to each sub... better off you get a different amp... most people in that situation (low power) will turn the gains way up tryin' to get louder and that will kill speakers... I'd look into another amp... there are hundreds that'll fit your application... just don't get TOO cheap...
Turning the gain up will lead to clipping.....thus will kill your subs. Just adding to this comment.

There is no rule on RMS ratings. You would have to have 3x amplifier power to match a speakers RMS rating. It doesn't mean much, it's one spec of many. You only need enough power to meet your output goal. That's up to you.

You control clipping. Don't overdrive the amp trying to get more then it's capable of and you won't hurt anything.

Think about it, if underpowering was bad your speakers would blow everytime you turned the volume down.
Turning the gain up will lead to clipping.....thus will kill your subs. Just adding to this comment.
They are both correct... I'll be shot for this by a bunch of members... but this amp was a big seller in the shop I used to work at and pairing it up with dual 12" 4 ohm CVR's wired at 1 ohm was usually how we sold it... it is a cost effective solution but by no means the best...

Hifonics HFi1000.1D 1000W RMS Monoblock Class D Car Amplifier Car Audio Amp 613815567738 | eBay

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.