Need generic User's Guide for 10.4" Tesla-style head unit

Participant count
  • Participants list

MoreCowbell

CarAudio.com Newbie
In my 2017 Ram SLT, there is installed a 10.4” Tesla-style Head unit with 1024X768 screen resolution. It looks for all the world like the PhoenixAndroidRadios unit pictured at the beginning of the thread listed above.

The top icon row is:

Navigation Radio Music Console Bluetooth Video AUX

After some time, I accidentally discovered that by swiping this to the left, more icons appeared:

Explorer Phone Link Settings App list DVR File manager Camera

Within Settings | About, I discovered this:

Model number RKPX3 (px3 manufactured by Rockchip)
Android version 7.1.1

Nowhere did I see a name of the maker of the Head unit itself. It was obtained via eBay and I have been unsuccessful contacting to the vendor (Funnyhill-Auto). What was left as “documentation (“Product Guide”) is scant, poor English and grammar, etc. and basically useless as a guide. Almost inscrutable ...

Some of the basic touch-screen controls I've figured out empirically but wish I had more/better information.

• Since the layout of this Head unit is virtually the same as any I’ve seen, I wonder if anyone might have a meaningful guide for a Head unit like this, even though not made by the same party. Linkswell makes a great unit but it’s configured differently so its guide isn’t very useful. Maybe Phoenix produces a fairly generic guide that would help.

• As a curiosity question, I wonder what are the key differences between Phone Link and Bluetooth, especially regarding mobile phone use. I get that Phone Link requires that the mobile phone be plugged into a USB port that the Head unit “sees”, whereas via Bluetooth, it’s entirely wireless. But other than that, what’s the difference?? One preferable over the other ??

I have phone link and bluetooth on my android 10 Eonon 10.1" stereo. Phone link I believe (I don't use it) is essentially phone mirroring on the screen. I just use the BT. Any app on my phone is already in my stereo so to me, it is redundant and not needed.

I have phone link and bluetooth on my android 10 Eonon 10.1" stereo. Phone link I believe (I don't use it) is essentially phone mirroring on the screen. I just use the BT. Any app on my phone is already in my stereo so to me, it is redundant and not needed.
Well, I couldn't get phone link to work, but basically from what I understand, it is Android Auto. I was able to get EZ Connect to work. Didn't like it. Not sure why anyone would want to use those services. Completely annihlates the radios OS making something simple like getting to the radio a real hassle. I have mine setup with every app I want, iGo navigation, wi-fi from the phone for Amazon music app plus BT for phone calls. Only thing I saw the Android Auto do, was drain my data and block me from using my iGo in favor of Google maps, which sukks because it requires data. But I digress...

Anyway, just wanted to say I tried it on my Enon today. I'm not computer savvy, but sum bish, things shouldn't be so hard. EX Connect really sukked azz. Gotta keep the phone screen on all the time. What a joke THAT app is.

Last edited:
Per my original post, I'm learning a little on this thread and appreciate all contributions.

Can anyone tell me what is the relationship between Phone Link and EasyConnection? The appears to be some relationship. It could be that Phone Link requires EasyConnection. When I launch the Phone Link tab on my head unit, it's not set up but seems to lead me to EasyConnection (wants to load it or something). This is a tiny part of the problem when you have NO documentation. ☹

I have an Easy Connect tab right next to the Phone Link tab. The PL tab just does a black screen for me, "leads" me nowhere.
The Easy Connect you need the app on your phone, and it will connect to the stereo. Easyconnect is screen mirroring only. What ever is on the phone screen is on the HU screen. You can control your phone thru the HU screen, but there is an awful lag. At least that was my 25 minutes of experimenting showed me. I deleted the app, it changes settings on the phone. As I said, it just isn't worth it to me. Just the android apps and my usage as described above, does most 95% of what I want it to. Now, I DO have a new skin but again, not savvy but haven't fully figured out the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=altergames.carlauncher&hl=en_US&gl=US but it is pretty badazz. At most, I only want the phone to be my hotspot. For my music ( I literally have ZERO music on my phone o_O ) I have it on a SD mini/micro/whatever card and it is plugged into the HU along with a separate memory card also plugged in as well as using the 3rd USB for charging the phone (if/when it needs it. VERY slow charging that way).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.