My Sub Choices

peacefrog81

NJ
I am trying to choose between a couple of SUBS. I mainly listen to a lot of classic rock and rock music (Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Doors, Stones 80s etc.. Therefore I do not need something that is going to overpower and drown out the rest of the music. I do not have an amp yet so that will have to be equaled into the equation. In addition I would probably be looking for SQ over SPL, or close to 50/50 or 60/40. I have been looking very closely at the punch HX2 3112, Infinity 12d VQ (I heard they do not last well over time), the kicker comp vr's and also a couple of the JLs. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I would be glad to hear, as of now I really like the punch's.

If you want SQ I would go with the JL's. They are a very clean very tight hitting sub. I would take them over Fosgate's anyday for sound quality. Another real clean sub is the Eclipse 8700 series, some say they sound better than JL but I think they're too close to call. For sound quality always use 10" subs!!

Personally i feel for the money the perfects are the best sq drivers out of all of them. If you got two i think it would give you the spl you would want as well. They don't need much power, so a jbl 600.1 or soundstream rubicon 500-1 or -2 would work fine with them. Make sure you put them in a sealed box.

-Jason

If your looking for a good SQ/SPL sub have you looked at Adire Audio or Resonant Engeering? You would only need a single driver and with the XBL^2 technology that they use, it would be hard to find a sub that has a flatter response curve. I have a 15" Brahma. It's in a 60/40 SPL/SQ box and even in that it's SQ is simply amazing...imaging what a 10" or a 12" would do in a good sealed box.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

No. Because of the inertial mass of the cone area, and higher resonant frequancies. Plus less likely to have cone warp at high volumes.
a 15" can sound just as tight and good as a 10" given the proper enclosure.

i would not get any of those subs u mentioned. I would pick up an ED K or O. http://www.edesignaudio.com these are great subs for the price. Or u can pick up a RE SE. http://www.respl.com these are possibly the best subs u can get for the $$.

a 15" can sound just as tight and good as a 10" given the proper enclosure.
i would not get any of those subs u mentioned. I would pick up an ED K or O. http://www.edesignaudio.com these are great subs for the price. Or u can pick up a RE SE. http://www.respl.com these are possibly the best subs u can get for the $$.
you were 5 years old when I was building my first system. I don't know where you get your info but a fifteen will NOT sound as good as a ten in any box; //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif it goes against physics. When you've had enough years to tune your hearing so you can actualy hear the difference then you will know a fifteen can not and will not sound as good as a ten for sound quality. Remember "inertial mass", look it up maybe that will help.

In 26 years you've never heard a 15 sound as good as a 10 or 12 ?

Sheesh ... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

- Steve

In 26 years you've never heard a 15 sound as good as a 10 or 12 ?
Sheesh ... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

- Steve
I own twelves. Doesn't mean they will SOUND better than a ten (especially on the meter).

you were 5 years old when I was building my first system. I don't know where you get your info but a fifteen will NOT sound as good as a ten in any box; //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif it goes against physics. When you've had enough years to tune your hearing so you can actualy hear the difference then you will know a fifteen can not and will not sound as good as a ten for sound quality. Remember "inertial mass", look it up maybe that will help.
I guess SW and RC went the wrong way when they used 15's back in the day...

Remember "inductance" look it up, maybe that will help...Or speak with Dan Wiggins with the effects of inductance and inertial mass in relation to transient response.

I own twelves. Doesn't mean they will SOUND better than a ten (especially on the meter).

WTF? Meters have nothing to do with how good something sounds... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.