My install's coming along nicely

[quote name='Souldrop']@Asshat with the Optical Jacks[/QUOTE]

I misspoke/mistyped! I'm sorry. No my CDE-153BT has no optical anything. The Alpine DSP does!

John Kuthe...

I was reading the documentation of the set up for time correction on my new Alpine PXA-H800 DSP and this is COOL!!

14859819_1174081489318996_4105250383959339015_o.jpg

John Kuthe...

Lol, fair enough. I can't imagine what his installer guy goes through....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hide.gif.2d479cfd917eedfe201353b91522ceab.gif
He stated earlier in the thread their both learning together throughout this.

Screw the DSP I want to see that big azz fan hooked up and running in there !
We discovered the reason my amp(s) were getting too warm. Makes no good sense, but I had installer guy run a dedicated ground 0AWG from the neg battery terminal to the amp box, and the overhearing problem went away!

Anyone want to but a brand new 10" radiator cooling fan? ;-)

John Kuthe...

He stated earlier in the thread their both learning together throughout this.
My installer guy, unlike many here, knows he does not know everything, but he has done many installs and won a couple of competitions too with his installs. He's experienced at installing audio equipment in cars, etc. I am not. I pay him for his experience and he does good work for me, and we collaborate on project planning, etc.

Unlike the Caraudio.com denziens here who think they know everything! Sure sign of noobieness! No one knows everything.

John Kuthe...

We discovered the reason my amp(s) were getting too warm. Makes no good sense, but I had installer guy run a dedicated ground 0AWG from the neg battery terminal to the amp box, and the overhearing problem went away!
Anyone want to but a brand new 10" radiator cooling fan? ;-)

John Kuthe...
Makes perfect sense ! And glad you found that ground problem !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes perfect sense ! And glad you found that ground problem !

How? How and why would a ground that showed negligible resistance difference from the ground post on the battery (I measured it against a 2AWG jumper cable to the neg battery post) cause an amp not even being driven with audio inputs to heat up terribly? Seriously, I'm curious. I understand the concept of ground loops, but that amp heating was pretty ridiculous.

John Kuthe...

I don't understand why you got that expansive DSP and end up running this passive component set.....all those crossover points and slopes of your DSP will be useless along with your time aligment settings.

Also, you have all six RCA outputs of your HU plugged into the DSP and then end up needing only one output to run both the tweeter and woofer on the same channel.

I'm a noob at this DSP thing and still i can see that you have a useless spaghetti of RCAs when clearly a pair of RCA from your HU to the DSP would do the job...And why don't you just ditch the passive crossovers and run your components active ?

Ya I agree but obviously you had a bad connection some how or something or it wouldn't have heated up so bad with no output. I am far from an expert but almost every problem I have had has usually been a bad connection or ground . I am thinking you would have probably had some noise or whine when car was running too , a lot of times poor ground caused alt whine through speakers ?

I don't understand why you got that expansive DSP and end up running this passive component set.....all those crossover points and slopes of your DSP will be useless along with your time aligment settings. Also, you have all six RCA outputs of your HU plugged into the DSP and then end up needing only one output to run both the tweeter and woofer on the same channel.

I'm a noob at this DSP thing and still i can see that you have a useless spaghetti of RCAs when clearly a pair of RCA from your HU to the DSP would do the job...And why don't you just ditch the passive crossovers and run your components active ?
Baby steps. Yes I realise running a passive crossover on a component set of drivers makes my DSP moot for the equalization part of the DSP's job on those drivers (but not entirely!), but it's what I'm doing at first. And if it sounds good enough to me, I may stop there! But I also may NOT! That's why I had my installer guy run a second pair of speaker wires up front for POSSIBLE future expansion!!

John Kuthe...

Ya I agree but obviously you had a bad connection some how or something or it wouldn't have heated up so bad with no output. I am far from an expert but almost every problem I have had has usually been a bad connection or ground . I am thinking you would have probably had some noise or whine when car was running too , a lot of times poor ground caused alt whine through speakers ?

My PDX-V9 Aline amp was heating terribly with NO inputs or outputs connected, only 12V+ and GND connected. I was gonna measure the amps going into the V9 amp, but at the point I intended to I had already decided to run a 0AWG dedicated gnd from the battery post, so all I measured was the resistance between the chosen gnd we'd chosen and a 2WG jumper cable to the battery's neg post, which was negligibly different Ohm-wise. Which does not at all speak to the power handing capability of our chosen chassis gnd of course. I'm just glad running that 0AWG cable to my battery's neg post cured the amp heating problem!

John Kuthe...

Oh well all that matters is you found the problem and it's all good now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
JohnKuthe
Missouri
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from