My first ever system… help please

Trudeau44

CarAudio.com Newbie
New York
I just installed my first ever system yesterday (along with help from a friend) and I feel something isn’t right. When adjusting the gain knob I can turn it all the way up and the subs will still barely be working. I’ve watched many YouTube videos on how to adjust it and mine just doesn’t seem to work like they show. Additionally, when I plug in the provided bass control knob the subs seem to work on even less power no matter how much I turn the dial, and when I try to set the gain with the bass control knob plugged in the subs will “pop” and the protect light will come on on the amp and then go off. So as of now I’m just controlling the bass through the EQ settings on my radio and the bass is underwhelming. I’m running a harmony HA A800.1 amp with 2 Alpine S-W10D2 subs in an underseat box in my Ram 1500 crew cab. The kit I ordered is called “Fits 02-18 Dodge Ram Quad or Crew Alpine S-W10D2 Dual 10 Sub Box & HA-A800.1 Amp” on eBay. Yes I know I have no clue what I’m talking about, Roast me as much as you want lol. Just trying to learn through YouTube and forums and enjoy some nice bass. Thanks

Last edited:
My coworker had a similar issue...his turned out be from a cheap Amazon hu that barely put any power through the sub output...

Also is the gain set on the amp or did you just use the bassknob?
The gain is set on the amp, the bass knob seems almost useless…causes problems with subs popping and doesn’t seem to actually increase or decrease bass

1st mistake was buying a set of Dual 2 ohm subwoofers. Should have bought a set of Dual 4 ohm subwoofers.

And yes how are you running it RCA or high level. Also there is a button on that harmony I see that says low or hi which one is set? Maybe try that. Also find out what the box tuning is and set the subsonic to 2-3 hz below that.

Between all of us it should get figured out.

Are you running the signal with rca or high level (tapping into your speaker wire)
I am running the signal with rca. I bought an adapter that plugs into the back of my radio and has rca plugs coming out the side. It’s called “Add An Amp Amplifier Radio Adapter Interface for some Chrysler/Ram- No Prem/Amp” on eBay

1st mistake was buying a set of Dual 2 ohm subwoofers. Should have bought a set of Dual 4 ohm subwoofers.

And yes how are you running it RCA or high level. Also there is a button on that harmony I see that says low or hi which one is set? Maybe try that. Also find out what the box tuning is and set the subsonic to 2-3 hz below that.

Between all of us it should get figured out.
May I ask why that was a mistake? Sorry I’m still trying to learn about all this audio stuff. Should I sell these subs and get new ones or can I make it work with what I’ve got?

RCA. I believe I had It on low. How would I find out what the box tuning is? Sorry again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...