My first "Active" "SQ'ish" build attempt.

What sort of foam plug are you putting behind the speaker? I’m assuming it’s not an open cell foam plug that will retain water every time you wash the car, or it rains. I haven’t seen the Stinger fast rings, but if they are also open cell foam, your wasting time and money on those too.
As it turns out they don't hold much water, if any, because they are open cell foam. Fast Forward to 17:04.

you wont know how it sounds till its in the door. Most of the times software projection and real world results vary GREATLY so fk it, pop in the flutes, the sonys the kenwood, whatever you want in and see what works best off the bat then do tuning afterwards. Too many factors in a car door's shape, thickness and over design, your dash shape, seat and head liner fabric and everything else to rely on graphs. Only graphs you can rely on is measurements after the drivers are inside and playing and you RTA(do before you tune and save the graph) it. Once you RTA it, you can compare to the driver's projected response and compare it to your in car response.

then in the future you can pick drivers that match your vehicle acoustics better now that you have an actual baseline in car response.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want SQ help. Head over to Diyma.

Keep your drivers close together. Put a 2-4in midrange in that door with a midbass and a tweet in the sails. You'll be happy.
That is exactly the placement I am doing. The 2.75" mids will be literally a few inches away from the 6.5" midbass. The Alpines will be in pods on the far outsides of the dash at the A-Pillars facing the general direction of the drivers head.

How low did you have them crossed over?

How much power did you have on them?

How limited are they?
the lowest i had was 200hz high pass off a home receiver rated for 100 watts, it got strressed at 60% receiver capability at that crossover limit. I'd say these are comfortable to play down to 2khz to 2.5khz easy. and a bit higher if you need more output.  I would not put them in anything over a 150db system in terms of loudness, anything under, they will keep up.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:18 PM, ThxOne said:

As it turns out they don't hold much water, if any, because they are open cell foam. Fast Forward to 17:04.

I would stick with Richard Vedvick’s advice on taking care of backwaves in the door. I’m not a linker, but his youtube video on sound deadening doors for $25 seem to be pretty informative. I would use his ideas on top of cld, ccf, and mlv.

I got the materials to make my tweeter pods. I am surprised how well these Alpine tweeters fit inside these 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe caps. The other items are from the lighting section and all items are from Lowe's for $14.94 after taxes. I am going to slot the mount hole on the pods to give more adjustment. I will be able to swivel and PIVOT <-- in Ross Geller's voice. The pods will be satin black and each tweeter will be soft mounted in the pods with RTV Black at four points, not all the way around the circumference, so the can be removed without damage but secured without fear of falling out. Being that these Alpine tweeters are perimeter vented on the back of tweeter, this will also allow them to vent as they were designed.

20190312_182639.jpg

While working on my tweeter pods my buddy came over and we went out to the car and did some test placements of the pods. They look like the doo doo! The are so obtrusive. He said why don't you put them where the factory tweeters are? I said I don't want to drill the grills... he said why and popped the tweeter grill right out of the door with the factory tweeter. The Alpine fits right in the hole!!! They looked so factory in the holes. At first glance I don't think anyone could spot that they are not factory. Yay, more wasted money on parts I will never use.

While working on my tweeter pods my buddy came over and we went out to the car and did some test placements of the pods. They look like the doo doo! The are so obtrusive. He said why don't you put them where the factory tweeters are? I said I don't want to drill the grills... he said why and popped the tweeter grill right out of the door with the factory tweeter. The Alpine fits right in the hole!!! They looked so factory in the holes. At first glance I don't think anyone could spot that they are not factory. Yay, more wasted money on parts I will never use.
let me guess you didnt keep the receipt

let me guess you didnt keep the receipt
I got about halfway done with the pods lol. I will be pulling the stereo out of the Jeep when I sell it. I will see if the eXcelon tweeters fit in the pods... I think the tweeters are of similar size. Not a big deal. On a good note, I was able to make them swivel and rotate so that design idea works flawlessly.

20190318_162912.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...