My first "Active" "SQ'ish" build attempt.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Whilst waiting for car audio related items to ship to me, these lovely gems showed up today. The G6 got new eyes!

I have been running the H11 LED Low beams in the current housings and I have the H9 LED High beam bulbs right here waiting for these new housings. I am going to swap all the bulbs over soon.

Attachments

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Some "progress". I Kinda have a pain in the ass car to do a stereo install in but have come across alternatives that save me money, upgrade the looks and functionality of the car and retain all my cars features. The dash kit for my car would be $299... that is just the dash kit. This is because my Vehicle Information Center in built into the factory radio. I have learned that if I swap my 2008 gauge cluster with a specific and newer model gauge cluster, swap my cruise control buttons mounted on the steering wheel and relocate one wire from one pin in the CC connector plug to another slot on the same plug, I will have moved the VIC to the dash and will be able to control it from the steering wheel. No Jerry rigging or anything. It will function just as the newer model does. I am also going to swap my climate controls... they are swappable and plug N play. I have already ordered the new Double DIN mounting kit. $9 Metra. This is gonna be fun!!! Here is what the new and old parts look like. Old first...

Attachments

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Any install salespersons or experts!! What wire harness do I need for my car?? I have been to PAC, AXXESS, Crutchfield, Sonicelectronix... but they are not saying what exactly I need. I am confused rather.

Here is what I have:

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe
W/Onstar
*W/Monsoon System - I will bypass this whole Monsoon System*
W/Steering wheel controls - Volume up and down - Track up and down - Extra button that changed disc 1 through 6
*W/DIC in factory radio but this should be ignored as I am moving it to the dash gauge cluster via a parts swap*

What I am wanting to do:

Retain chimes/warnings
Gain Power/Ground/Accessory (switched 12v)/Illumination for the aftermarket radio
*Speaker wires not needed*
Steering wheel controls
Kenwood eXcelon X998 temporarily until I get the DD eXcelon DMX706S in 2 months

Thanks in advance

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Axxess came through and came through quickly. My surgery is happening on the 9th of this month so the stereo is about to take a leap forward.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Just got back from the Mayo Clinic... the Doc pulled the packing out of my ear and I can finally hear again!!!! I am not done but I can hear. It is weird to hear in stereo again but I am so happy!!

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
The first of two wire harnesses is ordered. The first will allow me to install the aftermarket head unit. The second will be for steering wheel controls.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I removed the bulk of the wires, the subwoofer, both amplifiers, distribution blocks, the capacitor (used for keeping the system quiet), ground block and main fuse from the Jeep. I will transfer what I can to the G6, use new what needs to be new. I have two dash kits. A DIN and a Double DIN. I will be using my X998 eXcelon single DIN for a bit to have something to mock up the system with that will be functional until I replace it with the Double Din eXcelon.

Attachments

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I made the new wire harness for the Pontiac. I think it looks clean. The harness will be permanent until the new Kenwood gets here and I have to splice THAT harness into this one. I took my time, spliced all the wires together and used heat shrink on each individual wire, then I wrapped all of it in exterior Tesa tape.

Attachments

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 9)

• sherwood71
  • ThxOne

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds