MY Car setup Questions..

Participant count
  • Participant list

smkr420

Hello Car Audio,

First time post, long time reader. I recently just bought a new car and thought i should upgrade the sound system. I have done this by bartering various things around my house on CL and coming out of pocket very little in $$$.. Over the course of 2 months i have put together the following Components: Pioneer AVH-3200BT, Polk Audio DXi 6500 Components set for the front doors, Polk Audio DXi 690 6x9's for the rear deck and a Alpine MRV-F540 amp to push them.

My question is on the wiring and RMS of the Amp and the speakers. The amp produces 80x4x4ohms and 100x4x2ohms and 200x4 Bridged. My speakers are all 100W RMS x 4 ohms. How would i wire the speakers to run at 2 ohms and still keep my four channels I would hate to have to bridge 4 channel amp to 2 channel. And wont i loose control of each speaker and just have front/back or left/right??

I would also like to know about the built in crossover or is it a equalizer in the amp? i have abosulty no clue how to use it or how it can help my experince with these speakers. and am i going to ruin these speakers if i only run 80w to them?

Thanks for the help everyone

just wire it in four channel mode. don't worry about the RMS ratings - what you have is fine and compatible. you can't wire it for 2 ohms without losing your fader - which is a bad move given you want more sound in front than rear. 80W is fine and won't hurt your speakers. you can't hurt anything with less power than the speakers are rated for. you have misunderstood what you've read, or you've read people saying too little power can blow speakers - which is a fallacy. no speaker in the history of speakers has been damaged from too little power. when you turn the volume down - you have very little power (a few watts) and that's just fine. most mass-produced speakers don't like being ran at their rated power level for extended periods of time and speakers don't like clipped signals. clipping is where you get in trouble and with a small amp people tend to try to overdrive the amp, causing clipping, which can damage speakers.

in short, your amp selection is perfect for your speakers at 4 ohms. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

HU front RCA to channels 1&2 on the amp

front components to channels 1&2 on the amp. full range (crossover off) or maybe a 50Hz high pass crossover

HU rear RCA to channels 3&4 on the amp

rear 6x9's to channels 3&4 on the amp. full range (crossover off).

set gain with a DMM according to these instructions to ensure you don't clip. note that the RMS power output of the amp is dependent on the supply voltage.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/65167/page/1#Post65167

mods - if there is an amplifier gain setting sticky on CA you prefer i reference, let me know :O

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.