music

masonstephens55

CarAudio.com Recruit
my music in my truck cuts in and out whenever I hit a bump. I have a aftermarket radio and after market speakers I have spliced into the original wire so I am not using a harness. I've run new speaker wire from my head unit to my left front thinking it would fix it and it did but it still cuts out a little bit. do I need to run new speaker wire to both doors? is there something wrong with the head unit? I have good connection whenever I run it directly from the back of the head unit. but that's it. I am completely lost so anything helps thank you!

Classic symptom of a bad connection. I will splice into wiring occasionally, but you have to know how to do it properly and you have to know how to tape up the connections properly as well.

If you're losing power to the head unit, or to all of the speakers, then it's your head unit connections, and your speaker wire has nothing to do with it. It could only be speaker wire if only one of them is going out. If it's your head unit all or none, then there's only 3 wires it could be: 12v, accessory or ground. When it starts to go out like that, you have a bad connection. That is how things burn up and fires get started. A weak connection causes a lot of resistance and a lot of heat until the heat becomes too much. I would honestly turn the head unit off until you get it fixed. Head unit's connections are generally so small that you can't create enough heat, but when this happens with bigger cables, that is how vehicles burn to the ground.

Your best option, (assuming you don't have one right now) is to get a proper crimper ($20 or so), a harness adapter ($10), some connectors, and spend the time to do it right. You've got 6 maybe 12 connectors that matter.

There are easier, cheaper ways, but IMHO spend the $30-$40 to get the equipment to do it right, and fix the problem for good. You could solder instead.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...