SPEAKER SIZE vs PERFORMANCE vs TECHNICAL SHEET

Your car comes with given OEM speaker sizes and shapes. When you upgrade, are there any reasons to choose smaller aftermarket speakers based on the information you get from the technical sheet of the speakers ?
Only times I have seen people go smaller is when their preferred brand does not make the size they need. Usually from 6x9 to 6.5. Personallly, I would keep them as big as possible to better blend with the subwoofer.

Is there that much of a difference between a 6x9 and 6.5 assuming you have a sub? Asking because don’t se many really high end 6x9 component sets they’re some good ones out there but seem to trail off once you get to the upper echelon.

Curious because I’m planning a system and the stock door location is a 6x9 and want to do components up front and for what I’m looking to spend there are both options ($5-800)

Is there that much of a difference between a 6x9 and 6.5 assuming you have a sub? Asking because don’t se many really high end 6x9 component sets they’re some good ones out there but seem to trail off once you get to the upper echelon.

Curious because I’m planning a system and the stock door location is a 6x9 and want to do components up front and for what I’m looking to spend there are both options ($5-800)
Whats the year, make, and model of the car?

Is there that much of a difference between a 6x9 and 6.5
Depending on the brands you can expect up to nearly 50% more cone area out of the 6x9 which would translate into audible gains all things equal. Conventional wisdom is that 6x9 cone area is comparable to 8" round driver.

Depending on the brands you can expect up to nearly 50% more cone area out of the 6x9 which would translate into audible gains all things equal. Conventional wisdom is that 6x9 cone area is comparable to 8" round driver.
Assuming I’m running a sub am I better off with 6.5 in the doors over the 6x9? The lows are taken care of, will the 6.5 outperform the 6x9 for “mids”? Morel has a nice 6x9 component set for about 550 with a silk tweet which is what I prefer up until now I was considering Focal components.

Assuming I’m running a sub am I better off with 6.5 in the doors over the 6x9? The lows are taken care of, will the 6.5 outperform the 6x9 for “mids”? Morel has a nice 6x9 component set for about 550 with a silk tweet which is what I prefer up until now I was considering Focal components.
6x9 should give you 1-1.4dB more output than 6.5" round all things being equal. The only real limiting factor is a smaller selection of component style 6x9s on the market.

6x9 should give you 1-1.4dB more output than 6.5" round all things being equal. The only real limiting factor is a smaller selection of component style 6x9s on the market.
Not super concerned with output perse but more with SQ. I was curious if the 6.5 would outperform the 6x9 for "mids". I know for a fact that the bass response with the 6x9 is superior but since I'll be running a sub I'd prefer whichever is going to be superior for "midbass". I also considered replacing the rear speakers with 6x9 instead of a 6.5 to "bridge the gap" between the sub and the 6.5. I know I'm probably splitting hairs, I would love to run a 3 set up front but just don't want to get into too much customization and only have the space for a tweeter and a mid.

I like my CDT 6x9 mid woofer. I only have them running from 70-400 HZ though. When I had them in a 2 way playing all the way up to 3500 HZ, I didn’t like them as much, but they’re firing at my legs, which isn’t ideal for higher frequencies above 300 HZ. 6x9s are very good at midbass frequencies in a door location.

I'd prefer whichever is going to be superior for "midbass"
All things equal the shape of the diaphragm should not make any audible difference besides overall output gain from the increased cone area. Now if you're comparing Boss 6x9 to some high end Focal or JL 6.5s the difference you hear isn't the shape of the cone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...