REAR SPEAKERS

If you are already running a front stereo imaging with your front speakers + DSP, would you mind in adding rear speakers to the picture ? Wouldn't that ruin your front stage ? Would you add them as a surround or backfill ?
Depends on the location of the rear speakers and where the sub/subs are located as well if running a sub

If you are already running a front stereo imaging with your front speakers + DSP, would you mind in adding rear speakers to the picture ? Wouldn't that ruin your front stage ? Would you add them as a surround or backfill ?
I have 4 speakers in my front stage, 2 rear speakers and 2 subwoofers in the trunk. I hardly notice the two rear speakers. I'm sure I would be fine without them.

I have two sets of components up front, and two mids in the rear wall, (and I'm in a regular cab pickup). I think it's more of asking yourself the differences between the two.

Do you have a large vehicle, where there IS a rear stage?
Do you have people in the back that you want to hear the music as well as they would if they were in the front.
Are you an uber driver?

I always look at it as, I would rather have a front fill though, no matter the music. It's not like surround sound. It's not like watching tv where the image is the main sensory input, and the audio is secondary. Then surround sound is there to help you feel immersed into the what the idea that the show is trying to sell you on.
In your vehicle, you are the focal point, and your stage is set around you, and trying to focus on you. Your drivers seat is not going to change, (but maybe you want everyone else to hear it is well as you can, which isn't perfectly possible, but could be close enough if loud enough).
Call me selfish, but I play MY music, in MY truck, for ME.

I can barely notice the rears, but I can notice them.

My rears are off the deck at 12.5 wattsx2. I bridged my front amp and am running 150x2. If it wasn't for the wiring harness, the rears wouldn't be connected as they are not noticeable, even from the back.

My car sounds great from the front and that's what matters to me. I rarely have passengers in the back. My dog spends more time there than anyone and I prefer it's not as loud for her. If you regularly have passengers go for it. It's not helping your imaging.

Back speakers should be used for back fill, in my opinion. They should be the same type as the fronts. Different cones and sizes, especially in the tweeters are what will detract the overall sound the most. So, a coaxial version of the front components used in the back will fill out the overall sound nicely and not affect the staging up front at all. Most speaker companies make coaxial versions of the components they sell and this is what I would recommend, Your tambor stays the same and the tweeters in the back are essentially point source sound from a neutral location and won’t interfere with the fronts. If you cannot tune them and amplify them with the same amplification and DSP as the fronts, don’t do it all then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...