moving a battery?!

Participant count
  • Participant list

fisherpricekid
10+ year member

i just picked up an 87' go9lf 4 door! sweet little car! i want to move the battery to the trunk for weight distribution and its easiet too hook up my stereo!? I plan to use up the entire trunk i already have started with kicke 350i impulses in the dash, infinity 6x9's in the back, a clarion deck with sub preouts, and i am in the midts of making cutom fiberglass kick panels that will house 5.25 inch components., not sure what kind to go for, anyways i am putitng in 2 amps int eh trunk along with 1 15" sub in a ported box! i plan to hosue the battery in the trunk. whats the easiest way fo doing this and can i just us emy reg battery or do i hafta get a sealed on!? thnx alot

R U adding an extra batt. or just moving it? For what you plan to run, I would just upgrade my alt. install a larger batt. and add a capacitor. It's alot cheaper that buying another batt., batt isolator, wire and upgrading your alt.

no i plan to use the same battery from teh engine bay. i plan to run roughly a 1000watts into a 15" power acoustic fubr sub in a ported box... all in a little golf!? does anyone know where to get really cheap dynamat? that was alittle off topic. But do i run the wiring from the engine bay back , cuz i dotn want all that weight in teh front i want to even the weiight out alittle bit fro better handling! thnx

Originally posted by fisherpricekid no i plan to use the same battery from teh engine bay. i plan to run roughly a 1000watts into a 15" power acoustic fubr sub in a ported box... all in a little golf!? does anyone know where to get really cheap dynamat? that was alittle off topic. But do i run the wiring from the engine bay back , cuz i dotn want all that weight in teh front i want to even the weiight out alittle bit fro better handling! thnx
The battery in the back? I am somewhat familiar with these cars and with the giant enclosure to house a 15" sub and the amp you will not need to be worried about the 9 or so lbs in the front compartment.....Keep it where it is and you will be much better off! Less mess too for fusing and such for all of the power wiring in the engine compartment.

Originally posted by fisherpricekid very true, but i am also using fiberglass, and a battery weighs more than 9lbs it is mroe liek 50lbs!
Regardless.......I guarantee that you do not want the hassle of dealing with all of the engine and vehicle powering running from the front all the way to the back. Not to even then mention the alternator charging and such. It is much more hassle than it is worth and it will not affect the cars performance etc......even with a fiberglass install it will be more than enough once you are done to compensate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.