Subwoofer barely moving

Viktor Andersson

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sweden
Hi, i recently bought a new car audio system (subwoofer, amp, and a high to low level converter). Although after adjusting the amp gain to the max the subwoofer barely moves and underperforms. I know the amp isnt the problem because its supposed to deliver 1900 rms in 2 ohm and my subwoofer is a 15 inch 1500 rms and the sub is connected to 2 ohms. I´ve tried many diffrent things but nothing worked, so can anybody leave a suggestion to help me figure out the problem.
Thanks!!!

Can't advise when the topic isn't qualified with product information. Not general but specific. What Sub, what box, ported sealed, volume, amp, electricals, grounding head unit, wiring, etc.

Hi, i recently bought a new car audio system (subwoofer, amp, and a high to low level converter). Although after adjusting the amp gain to the max the subwoofer barely moves and underperforms. I know the amp isnt the problem because its supposed to deliver 1900 rms in 2 ohm and my subwoofer is a 15 inch 1500 rms and the sub is connected to 2 ohms. I´ve tried many diffrent things but nothing worked, so can anybody leave a suggestion to help me figure out the problem.
Thanks!!!
Does the bass sound good at lower volumes? If yes then it may be your OEM radio lowering the bass output as the volume rises. Reason for that is to protect subpar OEM speakers.
You may have to get an Audio Control LC2i Pro. It has a bass restore feature that eliminates that issue.
I have never used an epicenter so I do not know if it does the same, but it is advertised as a bass restorer.
Also would you post a picture of your amp settings?
From what speakers did you get the signal for the LOC?
I just keep coming up with questions; what is the gain setting on the LOC, and how did you decide on that setting?

Last edited:
Does the bass sound good at lower volumes? If yes then it may be your OEM radio lowering the bass output as the volume rises. Reason for that is to protect subpar OEM speakers.
You may have to get an Audio Control LC2i Pro. It has a bass restore feature that eliminates that issue.
I have never used an epicenter so I do not know if it does the same, but it is advertised as a bass restorer.
Also would you post a picture of your amp settings?
From what speakers did you get the signal for the LOC?
I just keep coming up with questions; what is the gain setting on the LOC, and how did you decide on that setting
all sound settings have been done at a car audio shop, so im pretty sure the setting are fine. I connected the LOC thrue the subwoofers on my bmw e61.
I can post a photo of the amp and lOC settings tomorrow

Yeah just lacking info. What type of enclosure, what is tuned to, etc? If everything was done at a shop, then they should make it right. A 15" on ~1500wrms should be enough to rattle your teeth.

all sound settings have been done at a car audio shop, so im pretty sure the setting are fine. I connected the LOC thrue the subwoofers on my bmw e61.
I can post a photo of the amp and lOC settings tomorrow
Unless they sold what they wanted to move and or to accommodate your wants without respect to the end game, I.e. you wanted a 15 when you should have probably gone with a 12, or they unloaded a box that is just a bit too small, things like that. People here, myself included are usually going to tell you like it is, not always what you want to hear.

Yeah just lacking info. What type of enclosure, what is tuned to, etc? If everything was done at a shop, then they should make it right. A 15" on ~1500wrms should be enough to rattle your teeth.
Its a ported box tuned to 30hz, The amp is a basshabit 3100.1 and the subwoofer is Gas gpp 380d1 and the LOC is a GAS HLCS24

Unless they sold what they wanted to move and or to accommodate your wants without respect to the end game, I.e. you wanted a 15 when you should have probably gone with a 12, or they unloaded a box that is just a bit too small, things like that. People here, myself included are usually going to tell you like it is, not always what you want to hear.
I didnt buy anything from the shop, the only thing they did was fixing the settings.
I think the subwoofer enclosure is large enough the net volume is 120 liters

Okay, 4.25 cu ft gross volume, should be fine for that driver. Have you tried a 3.5mm to RCA adapter plugged into a phone or laptop, playing something directly into the amp to see if there is a signal to the amp issue? Bypassing the LOC? Seems odd that the shop didn't alert you to any issues.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are using the gain setting to increase the volume of the sub.????? The gain is used to match the signal from your head unit. 2 volts from you head unit equals 2 volts on your gain. I would find the volt output of my head unit and go from there. Look at the sound setting in your head unit and look at the LOC. If that doesn't solve your problem, maybe your amplifier is the problem??

Okay, 4.25 cu ft gross volume, should be fine for that driver. Have you tried a 3.5mm to RCA adapter plugged into a phone or laptop, playing something directly into the amp to see if there is a signal to the amp issue? Bypassing the LOC? Seems odd that the shop didn't alert you to any issues.
Great idea. I have to remember this if I have similar issues in the future.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...