How would I do This?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Steven
10+ year member

CNP
I am looking at mounting two alternators in my 1985 firebird. It has a 2.8L V6 MPFI.

what I want is basically a second electrical system in my car for just the stereo. That way if I run the stereo without the car being started it cannot kill the battery that I use to start the engine. I would also like, if possible, to use a Ford selenoid to momentarily connect the two circuits so that if I say, leave my lights on, I hit a switch in the car and "boost" myself off my stereos battery.

I am having a special bracket built to hold it. The part I'm concerned with is wiring. Frommy understanding you have to keep the two alts on separate circuits. Now the posative side isn't going to be too hard, just wire everything onto the second alternator output. But what about the ground. The alternators ground is the vehicle chassis, How do i separate the grounds from eachother, or do I have to.

For the boost capabilty I was looking at using a ford selenoid. I would wire the positive terminal on one battery to one side of it, the other side would go to the positive terminal on the other battery. A switch in the car would be connected to the "start" terminal on the selenoid. to my understanding this create a "bridge" between the two electrical systems, allow me to start my car off the second battery. I then turn off the switch and isolate the two circuits again.

Will this work? Any foreseeable problems?

Originally posted by Steven So what? People don't reply in this forum any more?
Yeah we reply......check your other thread in the other section you posted under and by the way......just because someone does not reply fast enough for you is no reason to go off like a wiseass.....we do this for free and in our spare time so it is not always something that you will get an answer to within a couple of hours

I only posted there because no one was replying to this post. Usually there is a response after a couple of hours, this took 4 days for you to post to it.

Originally posted by Steven I only posted there because no one was replying to this post. Usually there is a response after a couple of hours, this took 4 days for you to post to it.
Threads get pushed to the bottom of the line when they are inactive or first posted due to others being posted. Most redent lists first. Sometimes these things happen and it is a bit unavoidable to overlook that. Best of luck tho with the set up and any further questions feel free to drop a line here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Steven

10+ year member
Steven
CNP
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from