Minivan set up

Bking88

TN
Hey thanks for reading.

I am still new to this and I've only had a small system in the past for reference so I want to make sure I do this next set up proper. I am looking to put a sub in my minivan (2006 caravan) so I can tune my wife out with bass. My biggest question would be whether I should get a 15 or just a 12? I am probably going to have no choice as far as where it will go (in the back hatch) unless there happens to be some special low profile subs and boxes that would fit elsewhere (in-between front seats?). Assuming that my only option would be the back, I was thinking I would need a 15 to actually be able to feel any bass when driving. I typically play a lot of death metal/rock that type of stuff so I want all that bass and kick to be felt up front!

The only system I've owned before was a 12 kicker comp with a 300-something watt kicker amp and a nice pioneer head. But that was in an accord so it did the job well.

Are there any recommendations that someone can give me as to what kind of set up would be decent enough to actually hear? The only local audio shop has given me all kinds of run around before and I would like to either know what I need when I go in or just buy it online. I don't have too much of a budget cap, although I would love to stay under $400-500 if doable.

4 or 5 hundred should be do-able.IF you are looking for a sub/amp combo.If you have to factor in a deck,new wiring throughout,wiring harness',and box materials.That would be cutting it a lot closer to budget.Should be able to score a good 15,and a (cheaper) amp from the classifieds for a few hundred.

Cool thanks guys. What's the opinion in a low profile 12" placed in between driver and passenger seats? I figured that way I can def enjoy the features I want with a smaller price tag and less space consumption?

That's what I wasn't too sure of. I might be able to just go with a ported 12 like suggested and still put in in between the front seats. Now I noticed the kicker comp I had wasn't necessarily a bad choice but it did have problems when adjusting the bass level output on the amp. It would get to sound crackly and distorted. Not like typical bass distortion, some kind of weird scratchy sound. I think it was some cheap Hitron amp but it had the proper wattage I know that. Would the amp have been the problem or the sub itself? Because if it the kicker comps are decent subs I will gladly go with that again.

put it in one of the rear corners - corner loaded will provide the best response up front. in the middle will be subjective to a lot of cancellation.

put the amp(s) under the seats.

if you get noise when turning dials, they are just dirty. you can clean them with specialized cleaners if you want. happens to all potentiometers.

Back corner, ported, or TL ported for max volume.

I have one 10" sealed fireing down between my seats and I had to block the rear off to eliminate cancelation. It sounds good sq wise, great mid-bass, but it dose not get very loud.

My 12" TL box in the back corner gets LOUD and fills the van with sound. Not very orthodox but I really like both.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.