Mechman Voltage booster? Is it worth it?

Okay I'm contemplating on getting a mechman voltage booster for my car so I can get up to 15.5-15.6 volts at idle. Its $106 shipped to my front door. I'm wanting to know would going from 14.2 at idle to 15.6 help enough to make a difference? I am using a stock alt with a big C&D UPS-490MR battery in the back and I drop to 13.3 at full tilt on a burp with my powerbass asa1500.1 so I would guess I would only drop to 14.7 with the new mechman voltage booster. My powerbass is unregulated so idk. Any advice as to weather or not I should get this mechman booster?

This sounds like a disaster. Trying to raise the regulated voltage from your stock alternator to compensate for voltage drop is NOT a good plan. Why don't you just upgrade the entire alternator? It's obviously your weak point.

This sounds like a disaster. Trying to raise the regulated voltage from your stock alternator to compensate for voltage drop is NOT a good plan. Why don't you just upgrade the entire alternator? It's obviously your weak point.
Hmm... I guess I should do that but that would cost quite a bit I mean I really am not having that bad of drop as it is its only dropping 0.9 volts and thats on burps full tilt while on the meter for daily it never drops below 13.6 so I don't know. I really can't afford a new alt ATM but what you are basically saying is that the voltage booster won't help or do anything at all? If so thats kind of messed up that mechman would sell those for stock alts and h/o alts.

The voltage will still drop to 13.3....nothing will change that except a new alternator.
Not trying to be an *** but before I put in my C&D battery in the back I was dropping below 12 volts and once I put it in all dimming stopped and I don't have nearly as much drop.

Hmm... I guess I should do that but that would cost quite a bit I mean I really am not having that bad of drop as it is its only dropping 0.9 volts and thats on burps full tilt while on the meter for daily it never drops below 13.6 so I don't know. I really can't afford a new alt ATM but what you are basically saying is that the voltage booster won't help or do anything at all? If so thats kind of messed up that mechman would sell those for stock alts and h/o alts.
they will work on a H/O alt but you will be hard pressed to try and squeeze anymore out of your stock alt

looks like the consensus is to get something else. doesn't seem like a good idea... a bandaid solution will only prolong your troubles

I believe what the voltage booster does is trick your alternator's voltage regulator into thinking the voltage is lower then it really is.. as a result the regulator puts out more voltage.. It will work and you will get both more voltage and a greater average current out of your alternator.. the down side is the alternator will be working harder and is more likely to fail..

Also, you don't have to spend $106... you can do the same thing with a diode and perhaps a resistor or two and a little wiring job which will maybe cost you $5.. there are instructions somewhere on the internet...

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe what the voltage booster does is trick your alternator's voltage regulator into thinking the voltage is lower then it really is.. as a result the regulator puts out more voltage.. It will work and you will get both more voltage and more maximum current out of your alternator.. the down side is the alternator will be working harder and is more likely to fail..
Also, you don't have to spend $106... you can do the same thing with a diode and perhaps a resistor or two and a little wiring job which will maybe cost you $5.. there are instructions somewhere on the internet...
Hmm.. If it strains my stock alt I don't wanna take any chances.

Just increasing voltage will not strain your alternator anymore. I am pretty sure the booster has no effect on the current itself, just the voltage. The alt puts out more than 15 volts anyways, which is way it gets regulated either internally or externally to prevent damage your electrical components. You have to be careful when using it because AGM batteries should not be charged over ~14.7 volts.

i just ordered one for my 3g case on my explorer. from mechman..... he said it will not hurt your alt because your alt is capable of handling up to 15.3 volts anyways no problem. it also does not strain it by making it charge higher because it still puts out the same amperage. its just a pigtail to trick the computer to charge your alt at higher voltages so you will get less voltage drop on burps and even daily beating.

hope this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

basshead442
Memphis,TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Buck
Screenshot_20240609-212906.png