measuring voltage with multimeter

nowhere
10+ year member

Hey guys need your help. Was wondering if I'm measuring from the right places for voltage drop. I'm running 2 amps with 1 under each front seat. Both amps are ran from a distro with 4 gauge and 0 gauge main wire. Big 3 upgrade done.

So am I suppose to measure where the power wires goes into the amps? I have the car on and a bass heavy song playing. I'm getting 13.6 from both amps and battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, I did the test again with everything on and voltage dipped down to 13.4. So it seems like my electrical is up to par. Now my question is, how do I get it up to around 14? Maybe get a AGM battery? I'm still on the stock battery from when i bought the car new back in 06. I just want to get the most out of the amps without turning the gain all the way up.

Your power should be fine I wouldn't worry about trying to pick that up bro. With lights on a/c cranked and tunes cranked if you're still at mid 13's you should be fine what are you running system wise?

Your power should be fine I wouldn't worry about trying to pick that up bro. With lights on a/c cranked and tunes cranked if you're still at mid 13's you should be fine what are you running system wise?
Hu- avh-x2700bs

speakers - phd fb 6.1

sub - jl 12w7 1.5cu sealed

amp - jl hd 600/4

sub amp - american bass vfl 2680

wires - 1/0 welding cable 4 awg welding cable

I know vfl is barely giving the w7 rms power at 14.4v. But we all have our reasons for picking out our systems. I needed the amps to fit under my fronts seats so I can have trunk space.

I didn't want the amp to work to hard for when I felt like going loud. So I wanted to see if i can pull as much out of my electrical as i can.

So how much power would i be losing from voltage drop?

Hum no idea I guess you could try a H/O alt and a better battery. Not sure what the average draw is but to be honest I think you're about right not sure there's anything you can do besides an external voltage regulator. I hear those can be a challenge and cause issues though. maybe someone else can chime in on that.

High output alternator's are not for everyone because of the cost. For a relatively small system, good connections make all the difference. Make sure all grounds are clean and secure. If you have any extra wire, do the "big 3" to get the most out of your alternator. If unsure what that is, search it up. There is lots of good information out there.

If your battery load tests fine and rests at a good voltage, I wouldn't worry about it for now

yeah did the big 3 the same time I did my install. HO alternator is out of the question since I dont really need one. Guess I'll go back and check the ground to the frame of the car. Since thats the only place I didn't sand down to bare metal. Just trying to get the most out of the investment. thanks guys

yeah did the big 3 the same time I did my install. HO alternator is out of the question since I dont really need one. Guess I'll go back and check the ground to the frame of the car. Since thats the only place I didn't sand down to bare metal. Just trying to get the most out of the investment. thanks guys
Sanding down to bare metal is a must

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.