Massive newbie. Please help me out.

Happy days, all fixed! The RCA ports had completely broken off the board, how I have no idea but it’s fixed, cost me £35 too so not too bad.

Now in terms of setting up the gain, I’m going to do this with a DMM, I’m running 1 subwoofer at 2 ohms, the amp is 2400@2ohms, what should my gain be set to on a 50hz test track? 69v

The way I see it is Voltage x Resistance (2400rms x 2ohm) is 4800, square root of that is 69v

Last edited:
69VAC is what you're looking for on the output. I'd recommend a pocket O-Scope or Piezo tweeter as other options to verify clipping as DMM isn't "perfect". You can google around about using the Piezo or O-Scope but if all you have is the DMM then 69VAC is right where you'd want to be, just be careful and pay attention to any smells.

yea, just good luck with the repair. looks like you got a good tech. rock on!

The guy is very good, he’s called Sam Vennard. He’s well known of his audio builds and his repairs. He makes hybrid subs, changing drivers into other subs etc Etc very clever guy, he repairs amps from all over the world. Pretty impressive to be honest!

Yeah I will check there’s no clipping I will try and get a oscilloscope to verify or find someone with one. Need to set the amp up as it seems very quiet at the minute

Set my multi metre to VAC 200 but when the gain is all the way up the multi metre shows 39v so something isn’t right there. Need to try a better MM really or get a oscilloscope to stop clipping

this is the problem I’m facing now. Run 0awg through the car for the second battery however the input plugs are 8awg which isn’t strong enough surely? How can I get around this because running reducers they will contact and cause a big firework display to say the least
Get offset reducers and shrinkwrap them.

Hi guys, as your going to very shortly find out I’m very very new to this audio game.

this evening I picked up my first “proper” subwoofer setup, I’ve had schoolboy setups in the past years ago and fancied doing it again. This time with more power.

I’ve just picked up x2 Orion H2 15” subwoofers with an Orion XTR PRO 2400 amp. Now I understand I’m probably going to need another battery, big 3 mod and various other things for this setup. Is this the case? The car in question is a 2009 Astra VXR so the alternator I believe to be 120/140 amps as standard which will probably need upgrading right?

i don’t plan to use the setup with the engine off etc purely when the engine is running. If I don’t need 2 battery’s and just to upgrade my own, what shall I go for? Finally would a power capacitor be better and easier than wiring a new battery? I’ve done a little reading but it’s easier to ask the questions regarding this setup.

photo below, ignore the box. That come with it, I’m looking at running a better custom box.
Hey wait, I just saw the picture. I have that amp but it is the Orion HCCA 275g4. Exact same guts as your amp. It is rated at 700 watts rms, but pounded my Fosgate T0 12s like if they were 6x9s! That amp is no joke. Mine burned out because one of the plugs came loose because of the bass(mounted on box), and was barely touching. Starved my mosfets till they exploded. Still own it and will revive it. It deserves it.

Hey wait, I just saw the picture. I have that amp but it is the Orion HCCA 275g4. Exact same guts as your amp. It is rated at 700 watts rms, but pounded my Fosgate T0 12s like if they were 6x9s! That amp is no joke. Mine burned out because one of the plugs came loose because of the bass(mounted on box), and was barely touching. Starved my mosfets till they exploded. Still own it and will revive it. It deserves it.
Just read specs on that amp, and it is a whole different beast than mine. On another level to say the least.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.