martian's 2001 buick build log

mounted one woofer to test excursion and make sure that it wouldn't hit the back seat

IMG_1583.jpg

unfortunately i had to use a CD player to output the test tone because my zune can't drive the behringer amp well.

IMG_1584.jpg

i think there's just enough room. Maybe 1/4" of clearance at full excursion. That'll do.

IMG_1586.jpg

glory shot. These are some **** woofers

IMG_1589.jpg

prepping for some glassing in the trunk

IMG_1592.jpg

wire mis-management //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

weather's supposed to be crappy on the entire east coast for the next couple of days, but i'll probably try to do work anyways!!

IMG_1599.jpg

don't worry, it doesn't make much sense to me either. The pieces of paper are pieces of wood that will end up on the bottom of my box somewhere.

IMG_1600.jpg

this was annoying. Pieces of wood got cut and taped over, and glass got put on stuff. More coats tomorrow and then I pull it out of the car (hopefully) and really go to town.

molded the right side of the trunk today:

IMG_1602.jpg

this was a giant pain in the ballsack, mainly because of the trunk opening and closing. Essentially, I built a small frame in that area that barely clears the bars in both the open and closed positions, hot glued it into the trunk (for easy removal later), then taped around that. I made a small mistake due to the wire looms attached to the trunk lid but it's an easy fix (or ignore, really. I could just get rid of the stupid looms....). The other side doesn't have the same problem so it'll be a tad easier.

IMG_1603.jpg

mold glassed and removed from the car. Later i'll be beefing up all three molds with lots of mat and resin. Probably another 2 gallons worth of resin or so. Also, there's a technique that you can use to add curves (strength) to the mold which I will do as well. All of this nonsense will be braced extensively as well, hoping not to lose any SPL to a weak box.

i have monday off school so it's possible that lots of stuff will happen over the weekend. Stay tuned.

more pics showing what I did, i'm too lazy to explain most of them but you'll figure it out.

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

that kinda sort shows how and why my side molds ended up like they did. The idea of all this is to get as much volume from the trunk space i have as well as reduce added weight, since MDF is both heavy and takes up a lot of space.

Lastly, some pics of why I mounted the tweets/woofs for the back deck in the positions I ended up with - you can see what I was dealing with. It was annoying.

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

Man this is a crazy build, specifically all of the fiber glassing. If this turns out right, you might want to consider a ridiculous amount of security measures. Like making it really hard to open the trunk, and also very difficult to move the rear seats. Either way looks like it will be a very fun car to drive when it's done.

Have you considered where you're going to put two amps large enough to run those subs? When I got my setup I anticipated running my sub at double RMS, but now that it's all together I would suggest more. I would also suggest looking at an AQ amp, as mine has exceeded my expectations, especially considering the small space with no ventilation.

Man this is a crazy build, specifically all of the fiber glassing. If this turns out right, you might want to consider a ridiculous amount of security measures. Like making it really hard to open the trunk, and also very difficult to move the rear seats. Either way looks like it will be a very fun car to drive when it's done.
Have you considered where you're going to put two amps large enough to run those subs? When I got my setup I anticipated running my sub at double RMS, but now that it's all together I would suggest more. I would also suggest looking at an AQ amp, as mine has exceeded my expectations, especially considering the small space with no ventilation.
thanks man, appreciate the feedback. I am most definitely taking ludicrous security measures - in addition to all the audio equipment, i'm installing a completely custom alarm system that i'm building from the ground up. I'll be writing the software for it as well. I will NOT be documenting it here tho as that could make my system vulnerable, and people would know how much of a nerd I really am //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Believe me tho if you try to break into my car you'll be in for a nasty surprise.

currently, I have a hifonics maxximus, which I figure will give me 3500 rms watts to each sub. However, i want to sell it and run 2x AQ2200 which I believe can be strapped to 1 ohm. I need money to finish all this up, all that fiberglass is pricey!!

Also, i'm leaving enough room for about 5 amps (the maxximus is HUGE, and yes, it's included in that) towards the trunk opening from the box, as well as for some....other stuff.

Looks good, man.
thanks!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.