martian's 2001 buick build log

IMG_1508.jpg

i forgot what it looks like with carpeting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

IMG_1511.jpg

up on the docket this week is finishing up the back deck (it's gonna get glassed to smithereens before i'm satisfied) and HOPEFULLY starting work on the sub stage!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

You gonna use glass at all or wood for everything?¿
I'm going to use wood, I think it will be cheaper/easier. I've never worked with glass either. I also think that glass would only allow me to get a small increase is cuft. maybe .2-.4 which wouldn't be to much. And I'm going with the 12's I think because I don't have any design plans for ported tens, nor do I know how to do that. Anyways, car seems to be coming along! It looks clean!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/viking2.gif.35c13a457368016b956ccf693af31291.gif

I'm going to use wood, I think it will be cheaper/easier. I've never worked with glass either. I also think that glass would only allow me to get a small increase is cuft. maybe .2-.4 which wouldn't be to much. And I'm going with the 12's I think because I don't have any design plans for ported tens, nor do I know how to do that. Anyways, car seems to be coming along! It looks clean!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/viking2.gif.35c13a457368016b956ccf693af31291.gif
ah, understandable. glass is a huge mess anyways - i keep having bits of that stuff attached to me for days and everyone at work is like wtf man?? lol. And thanks!! Now that I've got a lot of those wires organized and hidden everything really does look a lot better. Starting to give me glimpses of what it'll look like if I ever finish. Unfortunately i'm running into money problems ATM so stuff is slowing down. But it'll get there one way or the other!!

Yeah I feel ya there, I don't have enough money to order the subs, I probably won't order them till wednseday or so. Which means I'll be back at school when they come, so I won't have them installed for another 2-3 weeks, so the plan is, is to get the box built, and have everything done so that when I do get the subs all I have to do is put them in the box and throw the box in the truck.

Yeah I feel ya there, I don't have enough money to order the subs, I probably won't order them till wednseday or so. Which means I'll be back at school when they come, so I won't have them installed for another 2-3 weeks, so the plan is, is to get the box built, and have everything done so that when I do get the subs all I have to do is put them in the box and throw the box in the truck.

yup, school is creeping up on me real fast. In reality though i'll probably have more time to work on it then because I won't be at my job anymore ( i don't think). I've actually decided to build more of my box out of MDF than I originally intended to save money, although certain portions of it will have to be glass to conform to the contours of my trunk so I don't have much of a choice there.

I was dumb and bought the subs first - now i don't have more critical stuff like deadening, resin/mat, etc, and I need to move stuff around to afford that lol. And no one will buy my LMs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Lol I'd say the subs are more critical because you'll have no bass without them. With less deadener you just have a bit more rattles which aren't too big a deal. Now I had no deadener in my car before when I had the kickers, and it didn't sound bad, it actually sounded good. So hopefully now with some deadener in my truck it will sound better. But still, you have more deadener in your car, and you already have the subs which is good

Lol I'd say the subs are more critical because you'll have no bass without them. With less deadener you just have a bit more rattles which aren't too big a deal. Now I had no deadener in my car before when I had the kickers, and it didn't sound bad, it actually sounded good. So hopefully now with some deadener in my truck it will sound better. But still, you have more deadener in your car, and you already have the subs which is good
it should definitely sound better with the deadener. I was even going to deaden the space below my sub box but maybe i'll cheap out and just throw some foam down there or something.

back deck and speakers being test fitted:

IMG_1542.jpg

the right side woofer clears the bars in my trunk by 1/4" or so.

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

Next will be figuring out the front baffle of the box. Thus far I have 2 of 3 panels cut (it's going to be 3 3/4" pieces of MDF thick), and when the last one gets cut I need to figure out how i'm going to fit 2 fifteens and a crapload of port area on there. Sketches from Autodesk soon to follow, hopefully

well it's not that I haven't been busy here, it's just that it's nothing all that great to take pictures of and I keep running out of daylight....

anyways, here's where I am: Back deck is done and mounted. Right now I have a temporary setup with the back deck and my old sub box with one of my ti 15's in there on a 1000 watt amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif it's sadly inadequate, although it sounds decent. I've started working on the "wall" that will divide the trunk off from the rest of the car. It's done form-wise but I need to cut holes in it, mount t-nuts, and pL/glass it into the car.

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

hopefully tomorrow i'll get holes cut in it for subs n such and get t-nuts mounted. I'm not sure if I want to glue the panels together yet, i've got to think about that. In all likelyhood I will do that tomorrow tho. Saturday i'm gonna be out of town but hopefully much more to come on sunday assuming it's nice out.

don't worry, i've been busy. Bustin' my friggin tail, actually.

Front baffle finally got done, test fitting the woofers: (good thing too because I needed to sand a tiny bit off to get a better fit with the gasket)

IMG_1573.jpg

PL Premium'd into the trunk (don't worry, it'll be surrounded with glass and such later)

IMG_1575.jpg

deadening trunk for no reason whatsoever:

IMG_1574.jpg

will it clear the trunk floor? please? please?

IMG_1577.jpg

don't worry, i kinda sorted planned for something like this. Lined up like it will be when screwed in (with some assistance from my brother)

IMG_1578.jpg

That's about all the work. Batteries are going in the little "cubbies" on the sides of the trunk - it's a pretty good fit. Here:

IMG_1579.jpg

later on i will be glassing the sides of the box to the contours of the sides of the trunk:

IMG_1580.jpg

awesome. I'm starting to get excited about this now. I'm a little bit worried that I didn't leave quite enough clearance between the front baffle and the back seat - after all, the eclipse TI's can move about 2" in both directions!! Tomorrow i might mount one and try it out, we'll see if i'm feeling it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.