Looking For Some Help For Future Wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list

JasoninDLH

Jason Was Here
MN
Hi guys,

I’ll preface my question with what I have now:

I have a factory amplified system that includes a sub and I’m using the factory receiver. I’m in the process of tapping into the factory amplified speaker wires and installing an LOC (Audio Control LC2i) which then connects to my 300 Watt mono amp that powers my new JL Audio 10” Stealthbox.

I am also installing a 10 Farad capacitor/distribution block (way overkill…I know😂) that will power my amp.

I’m currently using 4 awg power and grounds (my amp recommends 8 awg, but I went bigger).

My questions:
1. If I were to add one more larger amp and sub (I’m liking the 15” Kicker Solo-Baric L7S rated at 1000 watts RMS) I’m assuming I’ll need to upgrade to larger power/ground wires to the larger amp? 1/0? But I could keep the 4awg from the distribution block to the smaller amp?

2. My current amp has pre-out RCA’s that I can to connect to an additional amp (I believe it’s only 4v as opposed to 9.5v from the LC2i). I’m assuming although it’s only 4volts that this would be the best way to get audio to the larger amp?

Here’s my work in progress to give you a visual (10 F Cap at bottom of pic, LOC in middle, and 300 watt amp at top of pic):
B28F99DE-8582-48AB-B868-F204730E8F22.jpeg

Hi guys,

I’ll preface my question with what I have now:

I have a factory amplified system that includes a sub and I’m using the factory receiver. I’m in the process of tapping into the factory amplified speaker wires and installing an LOC (Audio Control LC2i) which then connects to my 300 Watt mono amp that powers my new JL Audio 10” Stealthbox.

I am also installing a 10 Farad capacitor/distribution block (way overkill…I know😂) that will power my amp.

I’m currently using 4 awg power and grounds (my amp recommends 8 awg, but I went bigger).

My questions:
1. If I were to add one more larger amp and sub (I’m liking the 15” Kicker Solo-Baric L7S rated at 1000 watts RMS) I’m assuming I’ll need to upgrade to larger power/ground wires to the larger amp? 1/0? But I could keep the 4awg from the distribution block to the smaller amp?

2. My current amp has pre-out RCA’s that I can to connect to an additional amp (I believe it’s only 4v as opposed to 9.5v from the LC2i). I’m assuming although it’s only 4volts that this would be the best way to get audio to the larger amp?

Here’s my work in progress to give you a visual (10 F Cap at bottom of pic, LOC in middle, and 300 watt amp at top of pic):
View attachment 47244
I'm currently running 3 amps from one distribution block. I used 4 gauge wire from the battery to block, and 8 gauge wire from the block to amps. The ground wire from chassis to ground block is 4 gauge, and 8 gauge from block to amps. The largest amp is rated at 1200 RMS, and drives 2 - 12 inch DVC subs. Works fine for me. All on factory battery and alternator.
I installed a capacitor early on and wound up gutting it and using the attached voltage meter to monitor the power in the trunk.

I'm currently running 3 amps from one distribution block. I used 4 gauge wire from the battery to block, and 8 gauge wire from the block to amps. The ground wire from chassis to ground block is 4 gauge, and 8 gauge from block to amps. The largest amp is rated at 1200 RMS, and drives 2 - 12 inch DVC subs. Works fine for me. All on factory battery and alternator.
I installed a capacitor early on and wound up gutting it and using the attached voltage meter to monitor the power in the trunk.
Good news! I’m more than happy I ran 4 awg! Boy, I sure am lucky sometimes!

I did 1/0 to a d-block and 4 awg to both my amps, 75x2 and 1000x1. Each amp is grounded to its own strut tower in my trunk using 4awg. You can also do a single 1/0 ground block with 4 awg out to each amp but I like to simplify my stuff and don't have any ground issues. 4 awg is good to 150 amps I think so I went bigger.

Last edited:
I did 1/0 to a d-block and 4 awg to both my amps, 75x2 and 1000x1. Each amp is grounded to its own strut tower in my trunk using 4awg. You can also do a single 1/0 ground block with 4 awg out to each amp but I like to simplify my stuff and don't have any ground issues. 4 awg is good to 150 amps I think so I went bigger.
Thanks for the info!

Curious… how about do you fuse for two amps? My current 300 watt amplifier recommends a 30 amp fuse (which I installed at the battery). The 1000 watt amplifier I’m considering recommends a 100 amp fuse (I see a pattern here).

My d-block is also a capacitor and I’ve read not to place a fuse between a cap and an amp. With that said, I don’t think I should install a 30 amp fuse after my d-block/cap. I believe that it’s also important to not exceed the recommended fuse rating of an amplifier in case of a short causing a fire. With this said, I don’t think I should install a 100 amp fuse at the battery.

I just can’t seem to wrap my head around this one.

Last edited:
I combine the fuse ratings of both amps and use that at the battery with the appropriate size wire and if an amp doesn have onboard fuses I will wire a fuse holder in between the D block and that amp. Not sure about using a capacitor I never used one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...