Looking for options

Participant count
  • Participant list

Firewalker

CarAudio.com VIP
nowhere
On a HO Alternator since I need to upgrade. Waiting on quote from a few places right now. Unfortunately this damn '03 Explorer XLT 4.0 has the stupid 7787 4G setup in it and it is extremely hard to find one that is 300+ amps which is what I am looking to do with an upgrade coming later this fall. Plus I need one anyways as after 4 years the one I had built by the friends family business isn't putting out as much as it used to. Eh oh well it happens.

So looking at a few places. I know the main ones that have a good rep. Couple places I am not sure on is JS Alternators or Tuscan Alternators.

Reason for the upgrade is because I am going up to a 4,500 to 5,000 watt mono-block upgrade from the 3.5K SIA I have now. Already got the batteries taken care of and the big 3 done when I bought the vehicle and changed it out again a couple years ago to 1/0 Welding wire from Execelene so I'm good there. Batteries will be a XS D6500 in front with one their XS Super Caps in back.

So I need options on Alternator companies AND options besides the Cab-45 since those are SO hard to get in stock right now due to shipping. I have the room for the big half-bridge and Korean stuff so gimme a few options.

I also can't remember who bought the DB 5K Korean here. Wish I could remember and ask them how it is performing. If anyone remembers lemme know, Thanks!

No one has options? Or opinions on J&S or Tuscan or anyone else? Autotech says I need 2 extra inches behind the alternator but idk if I believe that.

I have an autotech and the thing is a beast! Running a taramps DS1200x4 at 2 ohms (1200w rms total) and a smart 5k and the voltage stays at 14.4-14.5 to clipping if the car is moving. At idle bouncing the clip light voltage will drop to high 12’s low 13’s depending on the note. All I have is 2 AGM’s in the car (under hood and one in the trunk).

I'm willing to give them a chance but he insists that I need an extra 2 inches and not buying it. This 7787 case is just one people don't want to build for some reason. I asked him to send me the width of the case he would use a hour ago will see if he sends me the info or not.

Before the 250 amp alternator I have now starting to lose power I was steady at 14.2-14.4 all the time. I think I dropped to 14.0 once or twice but other then that it was just fine and that is with only a Everstart Maxx Battery,lol. The biggest 65 series they have same thing as so many others out there.

The other thing is trying to find a replacement if I can't get the Cab-45. Not gonna go to Taramps as I like my bass knob with the clip light built it as I have it mounted right next to my right leg so easy to adjust and see if it goes off.

Plus since I have the room and I like the half-bridge over the full bridge setup I have now anyways. I have the Cab-22 and love it but nowhere near enough power,lol. I could strap them but Cab wants at least 500 amps behind it if I go that route since I have dual 1 ohm 12" subs.

Be really interested what ever happened with that DB Drive 5K Korean that someone bought here and what they thought of it. Just wish I could remember who bought it.

I'm willing to give them a chance but he insists that I need an extra 2 inches and not buying it. This 7787 case is just one people don't want to build for some reason. I asked him to send me the width of the case he would use a hour ago will see if he sends me the info or not.

Before the 250 amp alternator I have now starting to lose power I was steady at 14.2-14.4 all the time. I think I dropped to 14.0 once or twice but other then that it was just fine and that is with only a Everstart Maxx Battery,lol. The biggest 65 series they have same thing as so many others out there.

The other thing is trying to find a replacement if I can't get the Cab-45. Not gonna go to Taramps as I like my bass knob with the clip light built it as I have it mounted right next to my right leg so easy to adjust and see if it goes off.

Plus since I have the room and I like the half-bridge over the full bridge setup I have now anyways. I have the Cab-22 and love it but nowhere near enough power,lol. I could strap them but Cab wants at least 500 amps behind it if I go that route since I have dual 1 ohm 12" subs.

Be really interested what ever happened with that DB Drive 5K Korean that someone bought here and what they thought of it. Just wish I could remember who bought it.
I'm not intimate with Autotech but some companies will actually have a case made and extend the windings in their top offerings. My Jeep alternators get fatter, it's also a pain to deal with.

Considering he is the only one who is claiming this vs every other top alternator company makes me dubious of it. He is the only one claiming that. Not DC Power, not Iraggi, not J&S, Singer none of them are saying it. Only thing in agreement is that I will need a 1/2" shorter belt which I have sitting here already. Hence why I question it. Facts are the 7787 4G case is a pita to build for some odd reason according to everyone out there. Tons of 4G alternators but they are the Triangle setup that Ford used. These were used primarily on the Explorer for a small amount of time.

Sent him the pictures he wanted as well. Hoping he can do it since his pricing is good and is getting a good rep from people on a couple forums so far.

lol wow idk what to think now. Claims that the a AC line will have to be moved possibly. No AC lines close to the alternator those are all by the coolant tank on the right side of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Nope not going Autotech. He keeps coming up with you need 2 inches or you need to move an AC line now and now its to I need to move a coolant line. At this point not worth the hassle seems like he just doesn't want to do it and that is fine completely understand it with that 7787 case but damn.

Waiting on one more quote then will figure out the alternator.

Nope not going Autotech. He keeps coming up with you need 2 inches or you need to move an AC line now and now its to I need to move a coolant line. At this point not worth the hassle seems like he just doesn't want to do it and that is fine completely understand it with that 7787 case but damn.

Waiting on one more quote then will figure out the alternator.

Is this case on the flat side (like pancake style)? If so it’s probably not possible in that case size to get 300+ amps of output. If another style case will bolt in and if you looked and can’t see anything that has to be moved id just have it built on a bigger case. When he says 2”, what is he referring to?

I'll send you a picture as I don't want any public pictures on any site with car audio. I ordered a J&S just now 320 hairpin for 389 with shipping. He claimed he needed an extra 2 inches of space but wouldn't tell me what for just that he wanted 2 more inches of space. Then it was I needed to move an AC line then the last email which did it for me was then it was I had to move the coolant line which is like 2 inches behind the alternator already. Besides that isn't movable with it being a rigid steel line,lol.

Personally I think he was just not wanting to do the job which I get being that those alternators are a PITA to say the least and won't used for very long. Just be honest about all of it since no one else was asking for extra room and I talked with all them via email in the last 48 hours.

Now that the alternator is figured out.

Now I just need options for a 5K half-bridge just in case I can't get the Cab-45.

Personally I think he was just not wanting to do the job which I get being that those alternators are a PITA to say the least and won't used for very long. Just be honest about all of it since no one else was asking for extra room and I talked with all them via email in the last 48 hours.

Now that the alternator is figured out.

Now I just need options for a 5K half-bridge just in case I can't get the Cab-45.

On the amp it comes down to warranty and trust imo. Who do you trust the most if something was to go wrong and them making good on it and how much of a premium is that worth to you? I get with the taramps the no bass knob does ****. It’s why I added a 9 band EQ for $65 so I would get it. I do like the M1 status led that comes with the smart 5k. If I had my way I’d love to have run some surfboard class AB monsters but I don’t have 1000 amp alternator 😂🤣

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...