Can we stop saying "box rise"? Explanation/rant

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Exclusive
ND
"Box rise" has become the latest catch-phrase to sound smarter without actually understanding it. I personally don't like the phrase, because it's not electrically accurate, and because everyone regards it as some mythical phenomenon that can't be measured, calculated, or understood, but you should just buy a bigger amp because it's real. I think "box rise" should be replaced with "variable impedance", or simply "impedance", which is NOT the same as resistance, despite using the same unit of measurement.

I'm not an expert, but I'll do my best to explain the difference. Please correct me if I say anything wrong (as if I have to tell this group that)!

Ever wonder why your 1 ohm voice coil doesn't measure 1 ohm on an ohmmeter? It's because ohmmeters can only measure resistance, but voice coils are rated in impedance. Resistance resists alternating current and direct current equally. Impedance is a combination of resistance and reactance, both capacitive and inductive. In a circuit with both resistance and reactance, direct current is only affected by the resistance, whereas alternating current is affected by both the resistance and the reactance. (Tangent: Inductive and capacitive reactance are the foundation of crossovers and high- and low-pass filters, because inductors attenuate higher frequencies, and capacitors attenuate lower frequencies.)

Impedance is a function of frequency, which is why different frequencies result in different impedances (which is where the phrase "box rise" likely comes from). Impedance cannot be measured directly. It has to be calculated with ohm's law: Z = E / I. Z being impedance, E being voltage, and I being current. From there it's a matter of algebra to deduce the coil's inductance, or L, which is measured in henries. Once you know the inductance of the coil, you can use it to calculate your impedance at any frequency. First you calculate the inductive reactance of the coil using the formula X = 2 x pi x F x L, where X is inductive reactance, pi is ~3.14, F is frequency in hertz, and L is inductance in henries. Then you calculate the impedance of the coil at that frequency using the formula Z = √(R^2 + X^2). You can directly measure inductance of the coil to eliminate some of the algebra if your multimeter has that function.

Anyway, my point is that "box rise" is an incorrect term for what is happening. "Impedance rise" would be more correct, but still falls short. Honestly, the word "impedance" is sufficient, as the definition of the word already identifies that it will change with frequency. However, I think "variable impedance" is best for conveying the message that people are going for when they use "box rise".

I hope that clears up some misconceptions regarding resistance and impedance. I have no doubt that the box plays some role in output, but it isn’t solely responsible for impedance variation at different frequencies. And no, I don't expect a single person to change their terminology because of this, but at least they will have a better understanding of what's actually occurring.

- Joe

FLAME ON!

"Box rise" has become the latest catch-phrase to sound smarter without actually understanding it. I personally don't like the phrase, because it's not electrically accurate, and because everyone regards it as some mythical phenomenon that can't be measured, calculated, or understood, but you should just buy a bigger amp because it's real. I think "box rise" should be replaced with "variable impedance", or simply "impedance", which is NOT the same as resistance, despite using the same unit of measurement.

I'm not an expert, but I'll do my best to explain the difference. Please correct me if I say anything wrong (as if I have to tell this group that)!

Ever wonder why your 1 ohm voice coil doesn't measure 1 ohm on an ohmmeter? It's because ohmmeters can only measure resistance, but voice coils are rated in impedance. Resistance resists alternating current and direct current equally. Impedance is a combination of resistance and reactance, both capacitive and inductive. In a circuit with both resistance and reactance, direct current is only affected by the resistance, whereas alternating current is affected by both the resistance and the reactance. (Tangent: Inductive and capacitive reactance are the foundation of crossovers and high- and low-pass filters, because inductors attenuate higher frequencies, and capacitors attenuate lower frequencies.)

Impedance is a function of frequency, which is why different frequencies result in different impedances (which is where the phrase "box rise" likely comes from). Impedance cannot be measured directly. It has to be calculated with ohm's law: Z = E / I. Z being impedance, E being voltage, and I being current. From there it's a matter of algebra to deduce the coil's inductance, or L, which is measured in henries. Once you know the inductance of the coil, you can use it to calculate your impedance at any frequency. First you calculate the inductive reactance of the coil using the formula X = 2 x pi x F x L, where X is inductive reactance, pi is ~3.14, F is frequency in hertz, and L is inductance in henries. Then you calculate the impedance of the coil at that frequency using the formula Z = √(R^2 + X^2). You can directly measure inductance of the coil to eliminate some of the algebra if your multimeter has that function.

Anyway, my point is that "box rise" is an incorrect term for what is happening. "Impedance rise" would be more correct, but still falls short. Honestly, the word "impedance" is sufficient, as the definition of the word already identifies that it will change with frequency. However, I think "variable impedance" is best for conveying the message that people are going for when they use "box rise".

I hope that clears up some misconceptions regarding resistance and impedance. I have no doubt that the box plays some role in output, but it isn’t solely responsible for impedance variation at different frequencies. And no, I don't expect a single person to change their terminology because of this, but at least they will have a better understanding of what's actually occurring.

- Joe

FLAME ON!

OMG thank you so much. I've been ranting about this forever as a box designer.

I believe what Buck said hits on how this term and idea became so popular. For an SPL rig burping a single frequency, calculating your impedance at that frequency and adjusting the size of your amplifier accordingly makes sense. In a daily system playing music, it's relevance is nominal. But everyone saw the SPL guys talking about it on the forums and decided it was relevant to their daily system, hence the voodoo magic term. Great posts from both of you.

Headroom is another term I put in this category. The average listener driving down the road on the way to work will never hear the difference, but everyone has seen the SQ competitors talk about it in their comp systems and suddenly the notion of buying an overly large amplifier and 'gaining it down' became the standard recommendation when someone asks for help choosing an amplifier.

I use the “headroom” rule myself, not for sq purposes, but because when I purchase a high quality amplifier I want it to last 20 years instead of buying a new one every 3. I also do it in case I want to drop in something that can handle more power later.

I use the “headroom” rule myself, not for sq purposes, but because when I purchase a high quality amplifier I want it to last 20 years instead of buying a new one every 3. I also do it in case I want to drop in something that can handle more power later.
A high quality amp shouldn't need to be dialed back to last 20 years, if its not abused. I agree leaving room for future expansion is a legit consideration. But it shouldn't be the standard recommendation for noobs just starting out, like it's tended to be around here.

Headroom is another term I put in this category. The average listener driving down the road on the way to work will never hear the difference, but everyone has seen the SQ competitors talk about it in their comp systems and suddenly the notion of buying an overly large amplifier and 'gaining it down' became the standard recommendation when someone asks for help choosing an amplifier.
Amen. You are steering me towards my next biggest gripe, which is people saying "gain isn't a volume knob" because they heard it before and now they're trying to sound smarter without actually understanding its function.

A high quality amp shouldn't need to be dialed back to last 20 years, if its not abused. I agree leaving room for future expansion is a legit consideration. But it shouldn't be the standard recommendation for noobs just starting out, like it's tended to be around here.
That’s probably right. Im a tad OCD when it comes to this after burning up my precision power amps as a noob, running 2 volt preouts combined with bad voltage drops, while running subs too large for the amp. Now, I just feel more comfortable with low gains. It’s definitely emotional as opposed to scientific.

Good to see you on here man.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...