Looking for ideas: SPL oriented setup

I'm doubting I could get a single 12" to hit 140 db's though. I think my best chance is with a 15, don't you agree?
U could get a single 10,12,15 to hit a 140 on burps or on music.......... You just have to get a good sub,box,install

I'm doubting I could get a single 12" to hit 140 db's though. I think my best chance is with a 15, don't you agree?
not at all. a single 15 i put up to around 146 with less power than u have. Granted the sub was quite a bit more than 300 tho

I'd dissagree. With todays subs, and amps. 140 Is not that impossible of a score for a single 12 to be hitting. WIth an all out SPL setup it shouldn't be that hard. Just tune it really high 45+ range and you'd be suprised how easy it is to break 140.

Jon

140 is cake... all about the install.. not so much about the moofer.

you build a good box design, and integrate it properly in your vehicle.. then any woofer you put in it, will turn numbers...

Loyd L.

I'd dissagree. With todays subs, and amps. 140 Is not that impossible of a score for a single 12 to be hitting. WIth an all out SPL setup it shouldn't be that hard. Just tune it really high 45+ range and you'd be suprised how easy it is to break 140.

Jon
Well said. I have a small hatchback so getting the car loud shouldn't be problem at all.

In most stock divisions, a single 12 and a single 15 would be in the same division. So in theory, wouldn't i be better off using a 15" if i want to do well?

140 is cake... all about the install.. not so much about the moofer.
you build a good box design, and integrate it properly in your vehicle.. then any woofer you put in it, will turn numbers...

Loyd L.
good deal. Most boxes I build are simple slot ported designs. I coded my own box building calculator, but it doesn't take into account the woofer's exact specs. Who should I consult to help me design a good spl box? wink wink nod nod

Well said. I have a small hatchback so getting the car loud shouldn't be problem at all.
In most stock divisions, a single 12 and a single 15 would be in the same division. So in theory, wouldn't i be better off using a 15" if i want to do well?

Yea you probably would be better off with a 15. More cone area the better (in theory not always true)

Jon

Yea you probably would be better off with a 15. More cone area the better (in theory not always true)

Jon
Thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated.

One thing that scares me is that i see people running a 15" BTL with twice the power i'm running only scoring a 143. Then again, 3db's is a big improvement i guess.

A 140 shouldn't be hard at all. My girlfriend does a 138.8 on the TL DB Drag Street B with RE SE15 tuned to 34HZ in the trunk of a civic ran off a Autotek MM1000.1 at 2ohm(750RMS) with stock electrical. You should have been doing low 40s easy with the previous setups you mentioned. Any decent 15 in a good enclosure should do it.

A 140 shouldn't be hard at all. My girlfriend does a 138.8 on the TL DB Drag Street B with RE SE15 tuned to 34HZ in the trunk of a civic ran off a Autotek MM1000.1 at 2ohm(750RMS) with stock electrical. You should have been doing low 40s easy with the previous setups you mentioned. Any decent 15 in a good enclosure should do it.
I've never been metered. Should I be shooting higher then? I was told that 140 is pretty **** loud. I know of people hitting close to 150 with a single 15" SX/ R, but they know what they are doing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated.
One thing that scares me is that i see people running a 15" BTL with twice the power i'm running only scoring a 143. Then again, 3db's is a big improvement i guess.

Those are probably daily enclosures. I Know the BTL can cook out some serious numbers. Its all in the tunning my man! If you trying 45+ or 50 or so you should have no trouble putting up some decent numbers. I've actully thought about building an all out SPL box for my AP/SPL. See what it will do in 2.5@50Hz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Jon

Those are probably daily enclosures. I Know the BTL can cook out some serious numbers. Its all in the tunning my man! If you trying 45+ or 50 or so you should have no trouble putting up some decent numbers. I've actully thought about building an all out SPL box for my AP/SPL. See what it will do in 2.5@50Hz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Jon
That would most likely hit pretty high. Where do you get your system metered? There aren't any shops down my way that do it.

That would most likely hit pretty high. Where do you get your system metered? There aren't any shops down my way that do it.
I've never been metered. With talking to other ppl from around here I know there is a TL at SU. This summer I might make a trip up there to get metered.

With that high tuned of a box you wouldn't want to run it daily. I used to run a box at 45Hz with a single LI an wouldn't suggest running any higher then 45 for daily.

Were abouts in NY are you?

Jon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.