Looking for a Sq 12 inch sub!

I have a hifonics Brutus 1516 and I'm looking for a 12 inch subwoofer. I am going for sound quality and I am wondering if 1 12 or 2 would be good in a pontiac grand prix. My budget is a 400 cap preferably lower. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you need a box as well, pm me. I'll hook you up.

I'm thinking about going with a single JL 12W6v3 or two Dayton 12 HO's any suggestions?
Either choice will be fine but enclosure will play the biggest part in getting your sub(s) to sound good. Do not just slap them in a prefab and call it a day. You have plenty of space in your grand prix so I would probably go for the dual Dayton HO's. More bang for your buck and will not take up that much space either. What type of music you like to listen to? Go ported and tune in low 30's for SQ. I would definitely hit up CSCstang as he makes great boxes for an affordable price.

Either choice will be fine but enclosure will play the biggest part in getting your sub(s) to sound good. Do not just slap them in a prefab and call it a day. You have plenty of space in your grand prix so I would probably go for the dual Dayton HO's. More bang for your buck and will not take up that much space either. What type of music you like to listen to? Go ported and tune in low 30's for SQ. I would definitely hit up CSCstang as he makes great boxes for an affordable price.
Hmm, I was leaning more towards the JL because I honestly haven't seen a bad review on them at all and also because I don't know much about Dayton as a brand. Is there a reason you recommend ported over a sealed enclosure? I'm looking into pricing from CSCstang right now actually. I like to listen to Trap and Hip-Hop/Rap the most but I listen to really anything except for country.

The 12w6v3 is a fine sub but it's just a little pricey for what it is. A lot of people here know the Dayton is also known for SQ but for a fraction of the price of a JL sub. It's actually a Home theater sub that many people have used for car applications as well. I have the dayton HO 10's and I've heard the HO 12 before too and they sound really good. Sealed boxes are OK but nothing like a ported box. If you thought a sealed box sounded good, wait till you hear a custom ported box. It will blow you away in both SQ and output. There's a misconception that ported box is associated with ONLY SPL, sound like crap, etc, and that is not entirely true. If done right, ported boxes are much more efficient with power (getting you louder with less power), and the overall curve is much more satisfying especially with the lows. It takes a bit more precision to make sure the airspace and tuning is right but it's totally worth it in the end. They require more space than sealed so if space was a concern, sealed would be the way to go. With your listening tastes though, you will no doubt like a ported box better. I would recommend tuning anywhere from 30-32hz since you mostly listen to hip hop stuff.

Dayton HO subs are very nice SQ subs for the money..Ive ran a pair of tens..still have them..They are DVC4 ohm..Took some time to get them to sound the way I wanted trying different enclosures,and tuning,but once you do, and for that airspace of that vehicle, they sound really good.Not an SPL sub, but an excellent choice for SQ for the money with the proper enclosure.I ended up with two individual chambers of 1.4@34 htz for ea ten, and did very well in my CRV.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.