Looking for a single sub or a pair of 12s to blow away my CVRS

IonRL205
10+ year member

DJ h4z4rdes
Well I put my CVRs in today and they're alright I guess, but wanna get louder. Probably go with a single sub setup so I can get a ported box. Don't want a sub that sounds like crap though, has to have good SQ. Right now theres a 5 cubic ft sealed box in the trunk, and it just barely fits in so I'd have a box with about those dimensions.

Hell even a pair of 12s would be fine if I have the room for a good ported box, just want to get louder than what I have. I guess my budget would probably be ~$400.

I'm running the MB Quart ONX1.1500D so i'd be running 1500 @ 1 ohm

Was looking at the DD 3515 or the AQHDC3. People have said the AQ doesn't have as good sound quality, but would the 3515 be a nice upgrade in a ported box?

Neither of those are going to have great sound quality. Not that I'm saying that they will be one-note fart makers or anything, but they are not intended for SQ and will not deliver SQ. They will definitely get louder, though.

Personally, I would recommend a single Exodus Audio Tempest-X2. It's a 15". It will blow those 12"s away in sound quality. And it will get loud. Not as loud as those you listed, but louder than what you have. 4-5cuft is good for it.

Well if you like the CVRs sound quality then the two you mentioned initially will fit the bill. They will def sound better than the CVR's and def be louder with the right power. If you are gonna run the same amp (same wattage) and go with a single sub set up then enclosure design is going to be important. What model of the AQ are you referering too?

So your looking at the AQ HDC315-A? Many people say that they can do more than rated. With your MB Quart Onyx you will only be able to decently push one AQHDC.
WRONG.

His one amp would get him MUCH louder with a million of them than with one of them. He wouldn't be pushing any of them to their full potential, but simply adding more cone area is already going to give you more output even at the same total system power. 3dB for every time he doubles the amount with the total power kept equal. 6dB higher maximum output capability if he doubles up on his amps.

Really I'm just wondering if I have any options for a single setup in like say a 4ft³ box that would outperform my two CVR 15s in a sealed box in loudness and retain the same if not better SQ. The lows are a plus too, since I mainly listen to dubstep.

WRONG.
His one amp would get him MUCH louder with a million of them than with one of them. He wouldn't be pushing any of them to their full potential, but simply adding more cone area is already going to give you more output even at the same total system power. 3dB for every time he doubles the amount with the total power kept equal. 6dB higher maximum output capability if he doubles up on his amps.
that 3db rule is a myth. it comes from home audio, and the way it actually works is double power and cone area to gain 3db. please dont spout misconceptions.

and as far as just adding cone area, i hate to break it to you but your going to hit a wall rather quickly with that thought. cone area is not the only factor when moving air, the excursion is just as important, and if the subs are only moving 1/8th of an inch then your not going to move much air.

op. if you want to go with a single sub, either of the ones you mentioned will fit the bill perfectly. you could also look into the IA death penalty, or the DC lvl 4 XL.

that 3db rule is a myth. it comes from home audio, and the way it actually works is double power and cone area to gain 3db. please dont spout misconceptions.
No, it's not a myth. Go play with WinISD. Look at the "SPL" graph, not the transfer function.

The myth is that some people are saying you gain 6dB of output.

No, it's not a myth. Go play with WinISD. Look at the "SPL" graph, not the transfer function.
The myth is that some people are saying you gain 6dB of output.
winISD is based off theory, anyone with a and iq more than double digits knows the simple fact that it is not exact.

what shows up on a computer screen and what happens in the real world are often 2 totally different things.

just an example, with my current setup entered in winsid the spl chart says i will be doing around 120, when im doing 144.5.

you can listen to a computer program all you want, ill take real world results, with actual systems.

OP, the AQ or 3500 will sound very good actually if you put it in a properly designed and tuned enclosure.

As far as gaining 3db from just adding a 2nd woofer with the same power, well there are may factors with this.

If you have enough power to push 2 subs(for example) then, yes, you *may* gain the 3db. More times than not, if you do not have

the right power for 2 subs, you will gain more from using just one. There are plenty of examples of people having multiple subs getting a # and then

switching to less subs with the same power and getting higher #'s,(me included)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.