Looking for a new head unit

liquidennis

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,

I'm more of a lurker and haven't posted on here forever. The day finally came where my head unit (Apline CDA-9851) is having issues with motor. A CD was stuck inside and the lady tried to shove another one in there, not knowing that there was a problem. I think it's time to go with something new.

I'm looking for something probably single DIN, although double wouldn't be out of the question. Looking for bluetooth capability as well as a USB port for my choons. I really don't care about fold out screens or navigation capability or anything like that. Needs to have at least three preamp outs (front/rear/sub) with decent voltage to push the amps in my signature below - especially that Fosgate beast - it's the old black/chrome edition from the late nineties.

Not looking to spend a million bucks, just something with a nice S/N ratio to get some fantastic sound out of the rest of the system. Thinking along the lines of Alpine/Eclipse/Clarion, but open to suggestions for sure. Also considering potentially selling the EPX2 (merely because I'm not utilizing it), but that's for another day.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

*Adding one more detail -- something that doesn't have a huge problem with glare. My lady has a Pioneer and you can't read the face on that POS have of the time because of the glare. It lights up every color of the rainbow which is neat, but worthless when you can't read it.

Last edited:
Eclipse is out of business and Clarion is not what they used to be and can be hard to find the old models. And if you do you will pay for them. So for those two you will need to go most likely used route unless someone has a NIB and they will want a pretty penny for it.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS is the go to in single din. IIRC there is or was one on the DIYMA forums for a decent price recently.

Eclipse is out of business and Clarion is not what they used to be and can be hard to find the old models. And if you do you will pay for them. So for those two you will need to go most likely used route unless someone has a NIB and they will want a pretty penny for it.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS is the go to in single din. IIRC there is or was one on the DIYMA forums for a decent price recently.

My age is showing hahaha I'm 42.

Are you looking for a headunit with alot of tuning capabilities? Like active crossovers, time alignment, and independent L/R EQ? Or just a good sounding plug and play headunit and using your JL components passive crossovers?

Do you want a CD player built in?

Last edited:
Are you looking for a headunit with alot of tuning capabilities? Like active crossovers, time alignment, and independent L/R EQ? Or just a good sounding plug and play headunit and using your JL components passive crossovers?

Do you want a CD changer built in?

I don't really need a lot of the tuning capabilities because the JL 300/4 does all that for me and has separate crossovers with tweeters for each channel. That's why I might part with Rockford Symmetry, because really it's just overkill. I just want the separated preamp outs for front/rear/sub with a decent voltage. A single CD player is fine.

Alpine CDE-W265BT fits all your criteria.

Yea man that sounds great, looks like it was discontinued though. I'm really leaning toward an Alpine I loved my old one to death. I was also looking at the CDE-125BT. Maybe I can find a pre-enjoyed one, i don't care as long as it works and is in relatively good condition. I like that it has the DIN out, because the EPX2 accepts DIN in. Road noise would be pretty well eliminated. Thanks for the tip!

*edit: Just curious if you have any experience with Alpine's - mine has always had issues picking up local radio stations over the air. Not sure if this is a common theme for Alpine's because this really drives me nuts. We have some great local channels here in Rochester, NY ;)

Last edited:
I don't really need a lot of the tuning capabilities because the JL 300/4 does all that for me and has separate crossovers with tweeters for each channel. That's why I might part with Rockford Symmetry, because really it's just overkill. I just want the separated preamp outs for front/rear/sub with a decent voltage. A single CD player is fine.

5 volt outputs
Good SNR.
10 band EQ.
Plays Flac files
The built in 40rms per channel amp is pretty pointless in your situation but included.

Last edited:

5 volt outputs
Good SNR.
10 band EQ.
Plays Flak files
The built in 40rms per channel amp is pretty pointless in your situation but included.

Looks great, but the selling point here looks to be the fact that it has a built in amp. I wouldn't be utilizing it at all. Pepperidge Farm remembers when they used to sell head units without any direct speaker outs and only preamp outputs which is pretty much what I'm looking for.

Looks great, but the selling point here looks to be the fact that it has a built in amp. I wouldn't be utilizing it at all. Pepperidge Farm remembers when they used to sell head units without any direct speaker outs and only preamp outputs which is pretty much what I'm looking for.

A dead head is going to be hard to find now a days. You can turn off the internal amps on some headunits. Not sure about the Sony. But it would be as simple as not using it. Other than that it has everything you wanted.

My age is showing hahaha I'm 42.

I am 44 so yeah I get you there. I used to use Eclipse all the time for amplifiers and head units even some of their speakers. I also used Clarion Pro Audio back in the '90s for all my head units and I kill myself for selling all of them back then. As they are worth some money and they still sound great and have all the stuff you need for today for the most part.

Also the Kenwood KDC-X998 has a usb port right on the detachable face. I have 2 sitting here right now with that setup. Along with a usb cable in back as well of it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.