Installing Double Din in 2004 Harmon Kardon Mercedes

The_Grimy_One

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I am looking for some insight on how to run an aftermarket headunit in my Mercedes.
I do not need anything fancy. I just cannot stand the stock headunit.

I guess I am most interested in the bare minimum I need to make this happen, and has anyone done it?
I do not care about having FM/AM. I do not need to retain navigation, or a CD changer.

I probably won't even bother setting up the steering wheel controls, but maybe I will if it isn't too hard to setup.

I know everything revolved around the MOST fiber optic interface... But that is about as far as I have gotten.

Thanks for your input.

MDCTA

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 23, 2021
Vinita, OK
I'm replacing everything in my 2007 Mercedes CLK350. From my understanding, if you replace the head unit you must replace the factory amp also.

The_Grimy_One

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm replacing everything in my 2007 Mercedes CLK350. From my understanding, if you replace the head unit you must replace the factory amp also.
That is what I used to think as well. But I have been doing some research, and the MOST fiber optic amp interface will allow your aftermarket headunit to send a signal to the stock amp. At least for the Harmon Kardon setup. What I am a bit confused about is that you need to either terminate the fiber optics with a loop, since the deck and the CD changer use fiber optic. Or maybe you can leave them plugged in... I am not 100% sure yet. I will send you some of the info I have found.

The_Grimy_One

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bump

ciaonzo

TheContinental
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Feb 1, 2009
WI
Sounds like mess, I hope you get it figured out!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds