Looking for a 12" that takes 500w RMS

A 500w amp will only produce half that power after impedance rise. All you need is about a 300w sub.

Thanks for the tip. So I'm assuming the impedance is variable for a musical signal and I really need to find something more a long the lines of a dual 2-ohm in the 300w-ish range to be a better match for my 500w@1ohm amp?

The SSA Demons are a very nice subwoofer! You will be happy with SSA or Sundown or Dayton. But between the 3 I would be picking SSA they are nice tough subwoofers that can take more then RMS as well. Talk to Aaron over there at SSA about what you want to do. He will gladly talk to you about w/e questions you have. Just send them an email. They will get back to you within usually that day or on Facebook.

I'm leaning towards the Demon. I asked a question using the form on their website and got a reply from Aaron almost instantly. I like that.

I just put a IDQ12 in my wrangler yesterday. Made a ~1.8 cu ft sealed down firing box. Does take up a bit of room. I only turned it on to make sure it worked, didn't test it at any loud volume.
Actually, i'm not sure if subs should be "broken in" or not so I don't know when I'm gonna crank it up.

I just put a IDQ12 in my wrangler yesterday. Made a ~1.8 cu ft sealed down firing box. Does take up a bit of room. I only turned it on to make sure it worked, didn't test it at any loud volume.
Actually, i'm not sure if subs should be "broken in" or not so I don't know when I'm gonna crank it up.

Lemme know what you think. I'm very interested!

I have a Dayton Ultimax 12 available if you're interested.

Looking at the Parts Express page, it says that it's optimum sealed enclose size is 2.8cuft. I don't have space for that.

I'm leaning towards the Demon because it says it's optimum sealed enclose size is less than half of that at .85 to 1.1cuft, which is about as much space as I'd like to give up.

Lemme know what you think. I'm very interested!
Finally got a few minutes to play around with it. Turned the gain down to half way (it was about 7-8 O clock). Turned my bass knob to about 4 O clock (It was about 630).

PLayed a couple of bass heavy songs and it was significantly louder and shook more than my previous sub. I will say my previous sub was a pioneer shallow sub/enclosure. So, this should sound tons better.

Now I do have a vibration type rattle when you stand on the outside near the tailgate. Kinda hate that but inside it's really clean.

Finally got a few minutes to play around with it. Turned the gain down to half way (it was about 7-8 O clock). Turned my bass knob to about 4 O clock (It was about 630).

PLayed a couple of bass heavy songs and it was significantly louder and shook more than my previous sub. I will say my previous sub was a pioneer shallow sub/enclosure. So, this should sound tons better.

Now I do have a vibration type rattle when you stand on the outside near the tailgate. Kinda hate that but inside it's really clean.

I can't build a box that big for my LJ, but that's good to hear. Thanks for the update.

I can't build a box that big for my LJ, but that's good to hear. Thanks for the update.
I completely understand.
The smallest box for the IDQ 12 is 0.65 cu ft. Mid size is 1.0 cu ft.. I just went with the largest to see what is sounds like . I may design another box a 1.0 just for the heck of it and see what that sounds like.

I ordered the 12" SSA Demon today. There had been a bug on the site that got resolved a few minutes ago. I agree with the previous poster, Aaron is great to deal with!

Aaron is a good guy all around to talk to and deal with. He will answer any and all questions regarding any product he sells and will back them up as well. SSA, Sundown and Apex are really good to deal with all around.

Sub came in, seems like it's good quality.

I have some 14ga knukoncepts wiring left over, but I'm not sure it's suitable for a length of 10' or so with 500 watts. Amp will be mounted under the steering column with the other one and the crossovers and the sub will be in the bed area. Would 14ga suffice for this? I'm thinking I should go with 12ga. What do yall think?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...