local shop does shitty job.....***READ***

saywhat?
5,000+ posts

satx120, jealous?
DSCN0929.jpg

to start off, they ran the wire straight over the battery...if you cant see the problem....let me give you a closer view.

DSCN0930.jpg

while the fuse is in a plastic container....its the fact any LOCAL SHOP would THINK about running a POWER WIRE over a NEGETIVE TERMINAL!!!

DSCN0938.jpg

ah yes.....metal edge touching wire

DSCN0940.jpg

atleast FORD helped them a little....stock grommit with power wire through.

DSCN0941.jpg

I had my head unit installed by a local shop in orlando and it was super clean. I had this shop remove the deck, install a remote wire, and run it. loose as a goose above my feet.

now for the scary part.......post 2

I decide to pull off the black wire loom that was covering my wire before trying to pull the wire through the dash, for obvious reasons. Well what I find is not what I expected. This shop ran the wire down by the header and cats, which in the end...resulted in this.

DSCN0942.jpg

DSCN0943.jpg

another pic so you can see more closely what happened.

DSCN0944.jpg

ah yes....where it melted.

DSCN0946.jpg

aaaaaand last but not least.....a side by side.

Scary stuff, saywhat?

Proof positive that if it is a viable option doing wiring, installation, etc for your mobile audio yourself is generally a safer way to go. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

That bites, man. Gonna go back and show them and demand your money back or something?

That ***** man, go get your money back.

I"m going to have to x2 prowler saying you should do your own installation, so you know that you're doing a good job.

ya well the rep of the shop and having a friends fam. member work there got me to get it done. 200 for 1/0 and install of amp and sub wasnt a bad price IMO as its pretty **** flexible wire. In the end I believe when my mom gets back in town I will go and get my cash back, and if not cash......credit towards gear i can sell to receive my cash. Thing is, it was a while back (5 months i guess, maybe shorter) and I dont know if they would do that. All in all its obvious it was a bad install on their part and something should be done.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif I have only once attempted to do any type of install of car audio in own car this was back in 1981 hell it didn't look that difficult boy was I wrong way wrong.

I got what was at the time and what was available in my area (small town in Southern Indiana) not a big car audio mecca back then what I thought was the best head unit a Sanyo cassette with auto reverse back then very high tech a very impressive 100 watt Sanyo amplifier can't remember if it was 1,2 or 4 channels didn't even know that amps had channels back then go figure and a pair of almost unheard of Sanyo 6x9 coaxial speakers that took 100 rms these speakers had huge magnets on them to this day don't think that I have seen a pair of speakers that had this huge a magnet on them as these even my pair of Digital Designs 6" mids magnets aren't as big.

I decided after spending $846.00 on the equipment that I was more than able and way too cheap to have the equipment "professionally installed" well to make a long story very short after taking two days to install all the equipment a head unit an amp and a pair of 6x9's and run the wires put the positive back on the battery and had so much smoke coming out of my car that I would have looked right in place in a Cheech and Chong movie!

This was the last time that I have ever even attempted to do anything remotely associated with car audio installs the reason that I remember that the system cost me $846.00 is because after destroying all the equipment that I had just bought I had to save up another $846.00 for the same equipment to replace that which I destroyed and this time I was professionally installed and did that system ever sound nice.

Thinking back that system sounded so nice that I would dare to say that compared to some of the equipment that I have owned over the years and currently have even thought there was no fold down face with light and cool little video's playing on the head units face and there were no crossovers built into the head unit u know the shits and giggles stuff that everyone thinks they need that system would if I still had it would still sound great!

One last thing not sure about that amp it was huge not sure if it was a single channel or multi channel amp but back in the day I thought I had the best system that money could buy and thinking back maybe I did and didn't realize it?

Oh yea that was until I heard about a local guy (this was in one of those single traffic light towns in Indiana where I was born and raised) that had a whole Alpine system in his car hell he even had an Alpine CD unit this was about the time when CD's first came out I had to see this as I was told this was the best sounding car in three counties finally cought up with the owner of said car and I'll be dammed if it wasn't true he had the best sounding car that I have ever hear to this day.

Enough ramblings on from me.

Andrew M.

also known as HogLeg, Bootie Sniffer and The Bootie Sniffer

*this post is way longer that I had ever intended for it to be!

Now that I have read the above ^^^^^^ (after copying/pasting it into a Word .doc so I could enlarge the text size)

Umm...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif ???

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif I have only once attempted to do any type of install of car audio in own car this was back in 1981 hell it didn't look that difficult boy was I wrong way wrong. 

I got what was at the time and what was available in my area (small town in Southern Indiana) not a big car audio mecca back then what I thought was the best head unit a Sanyo cassette with auto reverse back then very high tech a very impressive 100 watt Sanyo amplifier can't remember if it was 1,2 or 4 channels didn't even know that amps had channels back then go figure and a pair of almost unheard of Sanyo 6x9 coaxial speakers that took 100 rms these speakers had huge magnets on them to this day don't think that I have seen a pair of speakers that had this huge a magnet on them as these even my pair of Digital Designs 6" mids magnets aren't as big.

I decided after spending $846.00 on the equipment that I was more than able and way too cheap to have the equipment "professionally installed" well to make a long story very short after taking two days to install all the equipment a head unit an amp and a pair of 6x9's and run the wires put the positive back on the battery and had so much smoke coming out of my car that I would have looked right in place in a Cheech and Chong movie!

This was the last time that I have ever even attempted to do anything remotely associated with car audio installs the reason that I remember that the system cost me $846.00 is because after destroying all the equipment that I had just bought I had to save up another $846.00 for the same equipment to replace that which I destroyed and this time I was professionally installed and did that system ever sound nice.

Thinking back that system sounded so nice that I would dare to say that compared to some of the equipment that I have owned over the years and currently have even thought there was no fold down face with light and cool little video's playing on the head units face and there were no crossovers built into the head unit u know the shits and giggles stuff that everyone thinks they need that system would if I still had it would still sound great!

One last thing not sure about that amp it was huge not sure if it was a single channel or multi channel amp but back in the day I thought I had the best system that money could buy and thinking back maybe I did and didn't realize it?

Oh yea that was until I heard about a local guy (this was in one of those single traffic light towns in Indiana where I was born and raised) that had a whole Alpine system in his car hell he even had an Alpine CD unit this was about the time when CD's first came out I had to see this as I was told this was the best sounding car in three counties finally cought up with the owner of said car and I'll be dammed if it wasn't true he had the best sounding car that I have ever hear to this day.

Enough ramblings on from me.

Andrew M.

also known as HogLeg, Bootie Sniffer and The Bootie Sniffer

*this post is way longer that I had ever intended for it to be!

wow you are a noob

thats fuc.ked up saywhat

that shop clearly didnt know what they was doing....

what u should do is find a dead batt..and loosen the wire alittle bit so the threads are sticking out but not touching the ground....and show them the wire thats burning on the header.....and tell them its shorting out everything...

hopefully it might work 2wards getting your money back

Really bad install, why is taking you so long to go back to the shop? The first thing i would have done is check the install, and that would of been at the shop that did it. I hope you get your money back or something. Next do some reading and do it yourself, nothing feels better then knowing you did it! But thats just me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There is only one shop I'd let touch my truck, and thats cuz I know some guys there and have had a chance to talk to some installers.

well i just re-ran the wires. im not trying to get my money back, but if they bring it up as an option then cool. its my bad for not checking, and i accept that. i didnt realize it was a bad install until today. i had smelled some burning from up front and figured it was a plastic bag i ahd caught under a few weeks ago just burning off. well to no suprise i just go ahead and pull my wires as it was a task of mine to redo anyways as i wanted to gain that experience. coming from that, these pics are taken. i find the story behind the "burning" smell and I feel I need to talk to the shop atleast.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.