local car shop guy told me i should sell/get rid of my XXX 18?

16 years of professional car audio experience, and you think driving smaller subs to their maximum excursion is better for SQ than is driving one larger sub to less of its potential? You do realize what you are calling 'underpowered' is the same thing as simply turning down the volume knob on the sub right? How's that hurt 'performance' beyond less output and less distortion? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

read much???? when a sub is under powered what result do you get? like you said its like turning down the volume (or not performing to his original expectations)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

oh and max potential is a big diff. from max excursion too

maybe if would have read what his expectations were you would have understood what i was saying.

and if you have 3 12's driving to there max potential they will have more output than a single under powerd 18"sub and blend a little better freq. wise than the 18 would.

and really lets face it no matter how good the xxx 18 is, a sub that large does have more trouble reproducing the 60- 110 hz range than say a 12 or 15,

so i dont care what you say, between a 18" sub and a pair of 6.5" comps there will be a freq. gap even if its a small one but never the less still a gap then your SQ goes directly to hell.

Without reading the whole thread....why in the world would anyone want to give up 9 cubes of space in a vehicle? My gawd, I am sure "Tim" was saying 2 12" or 15's would be plenty and you could get away with half the box in cubes. You will notice this is a SPL geared forum and ported is mostly what you will hear about. If I were you (I am not) I would personally ditch the 18" and got with 12 or 15's as well....then again I am old, heck my 2 12" Q's are getting reboxed smaller to 1ft3....I would rather have supreme sound quality and have 2 cubes worth of box for two drivers than 9 cubes anyday.

read much???? when a sub is under powered what result do you get? like you said its like turning down the volume (or not performing to his original expectations)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
Way to miss my point entirely. Im surprised a 'professional' is still not getting it even after having it explained to him. Where did you say you worked again?
Anyway, I was comparing equal output levels. Smaller subs at max excursion, single larger sub at half its excursion, both displaying the same output level. The larger sub would produce less distortion. No snide come backs will change that, sorry.

oh and max potential is a big diff. from max excursion too
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif Im comparing excursion limits, obviously. Trying to sidetrack the conversation with talk about vented applications dampening excursion limits will not change the facts. Nice try.
BTW that sounds like a one-liner a salesman at BestBuy would use when attempting to sell crap subs. I hope you dont use it at your 'job'... unless you work at BB... then nevermind.

and if you have 3 12's driving to there max potential they will have more output than a single under powerd 18"sub and blend a little better freq. wise than the 18 would.
Yet another example of missing my point, entirely. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
Again, I was comparing sub systems given the same output level. Let me quote exactly what I said...

if it takes the full excursion limit (or somewhere near it) of multiple smaller subs to reach the output level of a single larger sub playing at, say 50% of its excursion level, which system is working harder?
Notice the 'to reach the output level of a...' part of that quote? Do you suppose... that means playing at the same output level? Nah, surely your reading skills wouldn't have missed that. Unless you were too busy working out the perfect sarcastic reply to notice, that I actually made a point. I do find it ironic however, that you chose your sarcasm to be one of questioning my reading skills, when clearly yours were lacking when you read my reply. Either that, or it went right over your head. Your choice bud.
and really lets face it no matter how good the xxx 18 is, a sub that large does have more trouble reproducing the 60- 110 hz range than say a 12 or 15, so i dont care what you say, between a 18" sub and a pair of 6.5" comps there will be a freq. gap even if its a small one but never the less still a gap then your SQ goes directly to hell.
So now your story is the problem is withh frequency response. I see. So I guess that talk about 'underpowering' the speaker really wasn't related to your actual point? Or are you suggesting frequency response changes according to input power levels? Lets look again at what you said...

i think some of the lines "Tim" might have been thinking was in order for the front stage to keep up with the volume on a 18" sub of any brand or style the sub would need to be severley under driven to blend the music properly. correct?
so in order to blend front stage with bass output, 2 15's or 3 12's would be more appropriate when the sub is driven to its max potential.
So again, if your arguement now is about the 18" sub having a hard time blending with weak ass mids by needings to play midbass, a frequency response issue, I fail to see why you used a term like "severley under driven" and "would be more appropriate when the sub is driven to its max potential"...? What does 'max potential' have to do with frequency response? How about 'severly underdriven'? Id continue this, and bury you further, but Im confident your following explanations will do that for me. And, Im really curious to see what you come up with. I need another good laugh like your last reply gave me.
Cheers.

9 cubes is pretty big...

back of my trailblazer isnt as big as i thought..

so im either going to do something like 8 cubes or just eventually sell the **** thing. too much of a giant.

ported. not sure of the box specs but with a well braced well designed box, you wont notice a SQ differance. and thats experience from the older style xxx. so im sure the newer one sounds just as good if not better when going from sealed to ported (assuming the boxes are done right)

ported. not sure of the box specs but with a well braced well designed box, you wont notice a SQ differance. and thats experience from the older style xxx. so im sure the newer one sounds just as good if not better when going from sealed to ported (assuming the boxes are done right)
Make no assumptions between the old and new xxx, they are completely different drivers.

I don't feel like modeling the new XXX, but I'd go sealed shoot for a q of .5 or so. Model it in winisd, whatever box size gets you that would be my goal for really low sq oriented bass. You'll need a very solid set of midbasses that can play fairly low to really keep your F/R even though, it'll drop off pretty fast probably in that alignment, however, again, I might be wrong. I have no idea what the inductance of the new XXX's are....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.