local car shop guy told me i should sell/get rid of my XXX 18?

BreakingBad

Banned
pittsburgh
ok so i had to have some car work done before i could trade my car in, and keep in mind.. the guy (lets call him tim) knows his ****... if i wanted a box built, or a stereo installed, whatever, i'd go to him. best in the area... done a ton of work for me, quality too.

ANYWAY i started talking to him about my 07 xxx 18". asked him what he would charge to build a 9 cube box for it, and after tossing me a price he went on to say that i should get rid of it and go for 3 12's or 2 15's or something...

and i said well dude honestly i just want to have a system that drops low, can reproduce all the notes decently...and i said an 18" sub with a nice front stage can do that... hes like "noo... not unless you're processing your music...your 18 is a one note wonder"

so i tried to explain to him RE XXX's are some of the most expensive and high-quality subwoofers, and the xxx's are specifically designed for sound quality.

he still told me that i shouldn't do such a big box for 1 speaker, blah blah blah.

my question to you all: is it possible (and fairly easy) to use my XXX 18", yet create a front stage that can reproduce the mid-bass and higher bass notes, yet drop on the lows? his mindset was that 18s can only hit super low notes and that if i keep it i'll be missing out on music.

what do yall think?

I'm unfamiliar with your entire setup, but he may be thinking that you will overpower your frontstage with such a big sub. It is *probably* easier for him to work with some smaller subs, install-wise, than one big honking monster of a sub as well....

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/imwithstupid.gif.ff72b14418b3c35ebdf1ccd38da21695.gif

I hate shop owners who say everything that they dont sell is crap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i think your buddy tim has skills but no knowledge, a very dangerous thing.
he's never heard or experienced RE.

thats why i think he was saying that...

aside from his opinion, do you think that i should keep my 18 if i'm looking to reproduce MOST bass heard in most songs? i just hate it when songs have a ton of different bass lines, and you only pickup 1 or 2 out of the 4 or 5.

i got no experience with that beast but i can assure that his "just go with two 15s, its better" comment to you is utter ********. that 18 anywhere near its mechanical limits would destroy two ordinary 15s. and yeah he was probably just jealous and wanted you to trade your xxx in for two flimsy 15s

Lemme guess, he wanted you to buy some subs off of him? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
actually no, he didn't try to sell me a thing - ever actually. in the year+ i've been going to him, he's never attempted to sell me anything, even wiring.

i come and tell him what i need done, he does it, for a nice price on top of that.

i'm just hesitant now, i understand what he's saying about 18's not being "punchy" and not being able to reproduce higher frequencys as good as 12's or 15's, but i mean like i said, i still want to enjoy the bass lines in music...

actually no, he didn't try to sell me a thing - ever actually. in the year+ i've been going to him, he's never attempted to sell me anything, even wiring.
i come and tell him what i need done, he does it, for a nice price on top of that.

i'm just hesitant now, i understand what he's saying about 18's not being "punchy" and not being able to reproduce higher frequencys as good as 12's or 15's, but i mean like i said, i still want to enjoy the bass lines in music...
Your 18" will be fine.

thats ******** too, it doesnt got to do with cone area as to how "punchy" a sub its or how high it can hit, its gotta do with the suspension and vc inductance i am pretty sure. and how much power to feed it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.