Just Got In Some New Image Dynamics Sickness! Yeah Baby!

Well I have been the exotic route *LOL* Russian decks, amps from sweden, speakers from england, processors from Japanm you of all people should know hahaha *LOL* Back to my roots mang!

Well I was able to spend a few hours this evening listening to the IDQ's. They are FLAWLESS. Much flatter responce than the Maxs, very mellow, musical, detailed. Every note comes across with detail. I will give them a week to break in before I do an actual review.

What I can tell you, if you are into SQ, Beg borry or steal the money to buy these NOW! Hot **** they are wicked!

desertheat, I was thinking about getting (2) IDQ10v3 since I didn't want to spend $80 more on the 12" version and I have a relatively small trunk ('98 Civic) and wanted to use up no more than 1.5cF in a sealed box. I want a sub that blends in well with the frontstage, plays every note with detail on a variety of music (from country to rap to trance) and will be able to do it effortlessly w/ excellent SQ. Since you don't have too much time with the IDQs as of right now, do you think even with the 10" version this sub can satisfy my needs in a substage?

Also, would inverting the IDQs be a smart choice or should I stay the traditional way?

Anyone have any comments on the plastic-y brace on the v3 vs. the IDQ V.2's?

I've read that ID sacrificed quality material for a little more excursion capability. If I'm not mistaken, the V.2's are metal.

Are you talking about the basket? They used a composite basket, not simple plastic as some moronic disgruntled ex dealer claims. The basket is light weight & rigid. IMO there is no drawback to this basket at all. As for the v2, they were stamped steel. I feel the composite basket is a much better choice.

desertheat, I was thinking about getting (2) IDQ10v3 since I didn't want to spend $80 more on the 12" version and I have a relatively small trunk ('98 Civic) and wanted to use up no more than 1.5cF in a sealed box. I want a sub that blends in well with the frontstage, plays every note with detail on a variety of music (from country to rap to trance) and will be able to do it effortlessly w/ excellent SQ. Since you don't have too much time with the IDQs as of right now, do you think even with the 10" version this sub can satisfy my needs in a substage?
Also, would inverting the IDQs be a smart choice or should I stay the traditional way?

Well for me two 10's would be way more than enough as I use subs at a very low level and from what I read on the ID forum, .75 is a great choice for the 10" model.

As long as your not one of those guys going around just to rattle the dash of the car next to them then these would be a perfect choice.

Just a thought, what about useing a trio of 10's? Just .75 more for a total of 2.25 It is my personal favorite bottom end hardware wise but I did not have room for it in my setup.

Last, I did not hear much mechanical noise from them when I ran them freeair for testing so IMO you should be fine.

Thx for the reply desert... do you think there will be much of a difference between the 10" and 12" versions other than cone area, power handling, and enclosure requirements? Also, I've never had my subs inverted before in a sealed box, but do you think this will look good and still retain the SQ the IDQ is known for?

Well 10's are 10's and 12's are 12's *LOL* Kinda the only way to put it. Two different animals. Also I have run subs inverted many times, however IMO installed normally will net the best results SQ wise if you use a shallow crossoverslope and tune the sub at a higher frequency to help blend it.

desert, based on your review and first-hand experience with the IDQ12v3, I just purchased two IDQ10v3 from Woofersetc //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Are you talking about the basket? They used a composite basket, not simple plastic as some moronic disgruntled ex dealer claims. The basket is light weight & rigid. IMO there is no drawback to this basket at all. As for the v2, they were stamped steel. I feel the composite basket is a much better choice.
The reason I ask is because I'm in the market for an IDQ as well...I would imagine steel is a better choice as there is no substitute. I think the composite material was some sort of polymer hybrid used on the newer V3's..just trying to get opinions before I purchase. I would also think that the basket material would slightly alter the sound of the woofer? Not sure. Thanks.

The reason I ask is because I'm in the market for an IDQ as well...I would imagine steel is a better choice as there is no substitute. I think the composite material was some sort of polymer hybrid used on the newer V3's..just trying to get opinions before I purchase. I would also think that the basket material would slightly alter the sound of the woofer? Not sure. Thanks.
No it will not alter the sound, also it is more like a fiberglass composite with fibers. And aluminum is a great choice for basket material over steel //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Subs are stellar subs overall. Cannot wait for some of you to give them a go.

Stamped steel baskets are one of the cheapest and least performance oriented frame types available. After so many years of people complaining the high and mighty IDQ 'only' had a stamped steel basket, and with so many other cast and/or poly frames on the market these days, Im simply amazed people are worried about these new IDQ frames.

Stamped steel baskets are one of the cheapest and least performance oriented frame types available. After so many years of people complaining the high and mighty IDQ 'only' had a stamped steel basket, and with so many other cast and/or poly frames on the market these days, Im simply amazed people are worried about these new IDQ frames.
Agreed, and it is amazing how many stamped steel frames have won numerous SQ competitions *LOL* The basket is one of the last things I worry about when choosing a driver unless the basket has obvious drawbacks such as no coil venting or under spider venting. The composite is a better design IMO than the old stamped steel and helps keep cost of the driver down were we can afford them. Looks great, is rigid and easy to paint.

The frame is merely one component in the over-all system that is a speaker. There is no doubt a quality speaker can be designed using a stamped steel frame. Hell imo the IDQv2 was a perfect example of that. But that is not to say there is no room for improvement. Stamped steel frames are notorious for 'ringing' for example. But that is just abroad generalization of course.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

desertheat

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
desertheat
Tempe, Az
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date