Times your bass got you in trouble

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ever gotten a ticket for loudness?
Similar type stories?
I'd love to hear em'!
Back when I was attending DeVry, a roomate had some 10" home speakers and a 3 piece "sound blaster". I wired it and set it on the corner of the living room. We were listening to the radio at conversation level when suddenly bam bam bam! Someone at the door. One of the roomies opened and a downstairs Karen unloaded on him. Poor guy could not get a single word in, which would have been pointless, seeing how irate she was. After she left we kept doing the same but at a lower volume. We are considerate. Then again without fail, banging on the door. But something was different, the banging was slower and more solid. Same roomie looked through the peep hole and froze. He tiptoed cartoonlike towards us and in a panic whisper, "It's the husband!" Me being young, 10 feet tall, and bullet proof said, " Siddown, I got this." I looked through the peephole and almost burst out laughing!
Looking back at me was a mean, angry, full of rage face, probably all the mad dog he could muster. I thought , alright lets get this show on the road. I opened the door slow, as if doing a big reveal. When he saw me, eyes staring straight into him, ready to play pattycake, his demeanor did a 180. 'H-heyy neighbor, could you guys lower it a bit? Oh you got a Playstation, I got one too, I like it." I wanted to laugh so bad, but I didn't. We are polite. Ended up talking and turns out he was a good dude. He said the wife works nights and is a light sleeper so we complied. Peace, not war. Well, the loving wifey, called the cops anyway! Cops arrive, I give them the tour, explain the treaty and that all is right as rain. No tickets. She would still mad dog us any time she saw us.

On Route 66 in my old hometown when shooting the "loop" which was Hardees to the Chevy Dealership. On that route you went behind the local Shell station. Well sound ordinance wasn't enforced till 10pm in that town. Not a single cop cared as long as you shut it down by 10...except this one cop. Well the one cop lived right behind shell. Didn't matter what vehicle I had I was always shaking stuff off his walls as I passed his house but on Shell property. Finally one day he comes into the local Tire Place and my dad is there with me when I was 19 or so. Mind you he isn't on duty yet but in his cop uniform. He precedes to ream me a new one in front of my dad who he didn't know was with me. My dad's first words were "Does he play it after 10 pm" Cop said "No he shuts it down at 9:55 as his last pass by my house." Dad looks at him and smiles..."Too bad then town ordinance is at 10pm for sound including car audio next time try again harder!" Well I laughed as I was gonna be nice but my father had an issue with this guy dating back years as he had pulled him over for 37 in a 35 and wrote him a speeding ticket. So dad decided to get a little payback,lol.

Had another issue with the same cop. I was on the Local Fire Dept and we had a call for a 2 Alarm house fire. At that time I was one of the lead in officers and one of the 1st to go in for S&R and to start hitting the fire with water. Well cop's kid joins up a month before that. We get the call and we both reach the truck at the same time. After being asked 4 times by me and twice by the LT. LT finally said "Enough I need him he is a Lead In Officer and has 40 some house fires and 2 years exp GET THE FECK OFF!" He refused claiming its first on which wasn't the rule. LT looked at me and said "Do it yank him off and get on we gotta go!" Did that well he went to daddy the cop who threatened me with assault & battery charges, along with causing him to hurt himself which was some other charge...He threatened me once again but dad was with me once again this time at a local restaurant when said cop came in and he was on duty. Dad just laughed once again and told him "You threaten my boy again my lawyer will own your a$$. Also he was told to get off by the LT and had orders and refused. Problem is your spoiled brat kid!". Best part was we ended up leaving lunch and going right to the Police station told the Chief who I knew, stupid moron got docked 3 days pay and suspended for 3 days for the incident. When the Chief called him in we were leaving and he was furious which was ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS!! :D

Last edited:
I was gonna be nice and apologize but before I could say anything dad just whispered to me to be quiet its payback time,lol.

Some places don't care some will throw a fit regardless of time. Sarasota and surrounding cities were cool with it as everyone down there had systems even in 1999 or so. But go to Louisiana or GA ugh you were getting a ticket most likely like you did Pop.

Green Bay isn't bad. When I had my '99 Chevy Venture Mini-Van that my parents gave me I had a pair of 12" Eclipse all the way in back of it. I got pulled over by a GB Cop. He laughed his ass off when he asked me to show him the subwoofers and what not. He said it was the first time he ever pulled over a Mini-Van bumping down Lombardi Avenue next to Shitbeau Field,lol. Said he was gonna tell all his buddies on the force as they weren't going to believe it a mini-van with a system.

Funniest thing I saw at the Chicagoland Speedway one night when I was there for test-tune night. A old '80s something Chrysler Mini-Van all rusted to sh!t and back. All of a sudden he pulls up to the line and you hear the tell-tale sign of a turbo start to wind up. Sucker ran something like 10.7 or 10.9 in the Quarter Mile. Everyone there was shocked.

Astro-Vans I remember having seeing systems in them back in the Chicagoland area since the day they came out.

Roughly 15 years ago used to repair amplifiers and would bench test them with subs in the house in the afternoon. There wasn't much they could do about it as it wasn't late, but they did not like the bass nonetheless. I eventually got resistors for dummy loads and or would go to an empty parking lot to test stuff in my car. That’s about it, as I try to turn my car stereo down wherever it could be an issue, so never any issues from bass in my car.

Last edited:
Back in the late 90’s, I took my S-10 to Pigeon Forge Tn for the Mini Trucking nationals. The cops there were the worst that I ever seen. They were writing tickets for anything and everything that they could think of. I saw at least three people get tickets for loud music, with stock stereos. I got a ticket for tint, no license plate light and no rear bumper. My truck never had a rear bumper, it was bought new with a rear roll pan and the tag was mounted to it. And the tag light worked. everything on my truck was legal in my home state where the truck was licensed. The cop also threatened to write me a ticket for loud music even though my system was completely off. Just because he could see aftermarket stereo equipment in my truck. That statement is what saved me. While I was getting the ticket, my buddy was standing 10 feet away video tapping it. I stayed in pigeon Forge till Monday morning and went to the Police Station. When I told the Sargent that I had the cop on tape saying that, he canceled the ticket. He then apologized for the officer’s behavior. He told me to the cop was a reserve officer who only worked during big events, and he had already had several complaints about him. And that they would not be using him again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...