JL audio vs Sundown

i vote w6 just to **** everyone off lol i love it but i own both currently and love the sound of my w6' in a sealed box but the sa's i use ported abd they dont sound bad at all just not as "tight" as the jl
ported enclosures tend to sound less "tight" than sealed. toss the SA in a sealed enclosure and the W6 in a ported enclosure and then make your comparison...

Matt

i vote w6 just to **** everyone off lol i love it but i own both currently and love the sound of my w6' in a sealed box but the sa's i use ported abd they dont sound bad at all just not as "tight" as the jl

Have you ever had the w6 in a proper ported box? If so how did they sound

hey nugg, did you ever get my PM?
Matt

Oh yeah you just reminded me. Ill probably get back with you on Wednesday if that's alright. I've been running all over the place today so i haven't really had the chance to take a look

Without price being a factor, I, myself would go with the w6 over the SA every day of the week and twice on January.

Why? Because I'm more an SQ guy (who likes to have the option of shaking things up a little bit); and when I say SQ, I mean pure SQ in which the sub disappears into the sound stage and you almost forget the thing is behind u unless someone turns it off. Not many people are into that sort of thing despite them claiming to want an SQ sub, all they really want is a sub that makes noise but doesn't sound too bad doing it, which is virtually any decent sub on this planet.

For what it seems like you want, which is more of an build that will give u volume while still sounding nice, go with the SA. If you're looking for a true SQ setup that will still get loud enough for a daily setup if you choose, then go with the JL. You can't go wrong either way IMO.

Please don't assume I'm a Sundown hugger or a JL hater or vice versa. I support both companies for their purposes. I like the CS of both companies in the times I've dealt with them and the products perform very well in their respective areas.

Just remember, you're on an anti-mainstream type forum where anything mainstream is presumed to be of lesser quality than "underground brands" and less bang for the buck. Not always true....in fact, it can be said to be untrue in more cases than some may like to think.

I couldn't have said it better the w6 does just fade away and I no longer just want to be beat to death it's nice to have a setup to listen to any type of music and not worry about it sounding like ****! like my xxx's I can't listen to alot of music because I am picky but sa's do great in a ported enclosure for any music just a little more spl oriented but they can sound good as well

I couldn't have said it better the w6 does just fade away and I no longer just want to be beat to death it's nice to have a setup to listen to any type of music and not worry about it sounding like ****! like my xxx's I can't listen to alot of music because I am picky but sa's do great in a ported enclosure for any music just a little more spl oriented but they can sound good as well
^this is exactly the reason I build my setups the way I do.

My pops got me into car audio and he always told me to build my setups in a way that I could listen to ANYTHING and have it sound good. I ride with some people with systems and its like they only listen to a select few systems because those are the ones that sound good on their setup. If thats what you want then fine.

Personally, I prefer to be able to put in any CD in my collection or play any song on my iPod and enjoy it like I have on a really nice set of headphones or am listening to a legit HT setup.

I like a little loudness too, don't get me wrong. Don't care much for the meter but I do like the idea of being able to flex the entire car but, IMO, that comes AFTER SQ.

^this is exactly the reason I build my setups the way I do.
My pops got me into car audio and he always told me to build my setups in a way that I could listen to ANYTHING and have it sound good. I ride with some people with systems and its like they only listen to a select few systems because those are the ones that sound good on their setup. If thats what you want then fine.

Personally, I prefer to be able to put in any CD in my collection or play any song on my iPod and enjoy it like I have on a really nice set of headphones or am listening to a legit HT setup.

I like a little loudness too, don't get me wrong. Don't care much for the meter but I do like the idea of being able to flex the entire car but, IMO, that comes AFTER SQ.
I can play anything from Guns and Roses to Decaf. My car will compete in SQ and SPL next season I'm home. 2014

Point is this XXXs can to if set up for it. You will lose SPL though

thats what im going for is a sql setup hence the reason for the xxx's I heard they were great for that but from my experience my hdc3 18's sounded better I even had the box professionaly designed so I couldn't **** it up lol it gets loud but anything above 40hrtz sounds like ****

thats what im going for is a sql setup hence the reason for the xxx's I heard they were great for that but from my experience my hdc3 18's sounded better I even had the box professionaly designed so I couldn't **** it up lol it gets loud but anything above 40hrtz sounds like ****
Then something is very wrong with the box or your ears

I can play anything from Guns and Roses to Decaf. My car will compete in SQ and SPL next season I'm home. 2014
Point is this XXXs can to if set up for it. You will lose SPL though
^this

I feel like those XXXs shouldn't disappoint for what you're going for. They're legit for what they are and I certainly wouldn't think that the hdc3 would sound better both given optimal environments. You sure the box is legit?

OP, keep in mind that pure SQ doesn't sound like what you want. Read up on DIYMA about people discussing the Morel Ultimo 12 or DIYMA12 (gold standards of SQ). They will not be as punchy, visceral, and in-your-face as you want it to be. Look for SQL offerings, of which the Sundown will be one. Image Dynamics IDQ is another and will still put you under the price point of your precious W6.
Done. This is /thread.

JL Audio's speakers has the upper hand if you're going after sound quality, Sundown has the upper hand if you need big amps or are doing an SPL/SQL install, so it really depends on what you're trying to achieve.

If your situation... you'll be happy with both choices so you can think about little things like which subs match your car's interior the best, do you have friends with the same equipment, do you want to run just one brand for everything, etc...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.