JL audio vs Sundown

Nugg32
10+ year member

Ohio
Before we even get into this (not trying to sound like a ****) i dont want to hear about how you would choose sundown over jl because jl is way overprices, all i want to know is if you had to choose from either the jl audio 12w6v2 or the sundown SA12 what would you choose?

I understand JL has better SQ and sundown has better SPL but i can either get the 12w6 for less than $300 or i could get the sundown for less than $200 but so far im really lookin at the W6 cause i like loud but i also like my sound quality. i dont really car about trying to make people tap out lmao

Before we even get into this (not trying to sound like a ****) i dont want to hear about how you would choose sundown over jl because jl is way overprices, all i want to know is if you had to choose from either the jl audio 12w6v2 or the sundown SA12 what would you choose?
I understand JL has better SQ and sundown has better SPL but i can either get the 12w6 for less than $300 or i could get the sundown for less than $200 but so far im really lookin at the W6 cause i like loud but i also like my sound quality. i dont really car about trying to make people tap out lmao
you already know what people are going to say. you also state that you dont want anyone to talk about pricing which is one of the main advantage points of less mainstream woofers.

so tell me, what is there to discuss?

If you are simply looking for a loud daily sub that sounds good go with the SA it may be geared more toward spl than the w6 but that does not mean that it sounds bad, quite the opposite in fact. If you are leaning more toward pure sq then go with w6 simple as that.

If you are simply looking for a loud daily sub that sounds good go with the SA it may be geared more toward spl than the w6 but that does not mean that it sounds bad, quite the opposite in fact. If you are leaning more toward pure sq then go with w6 simple as that.
OP, keep in mind that pure SQ doesn't sound like what you want. Read up on DIYMA about people discussing the Morel Ultimo 12 or DIYMA12 (gold standards of SQ). They will not be as punchy, visceral, and in-your-face as you want it to be. Look for SQL offerings, of which the Sundown will be one. Image Dynamics IDQ is another and will still put you under the price point of your precious W6.

you already know what people are going to say. you also state that you dont want anyone to talk about pricing which is one of the main advantage points of less mainstream woofers.
so tell me, what is there to discuss?
i have seen huge arguments that sundown just blows jl audio away because 1. it gets louder 2. its cheaper and 3. jl is not that much better in quality..i only know a little about sundown, i just didn't want to hear people say get sundown because its cheaper and you will save money, i dont care about that right now. I care about a quality speaker. and before anyone says "if i care about quality than why dont i just get a *blank* subwoofer"..like i said i have just been seeing a lot of arguing between these to specific subs

OP, keep in mind that pure SQ doesn't sound like what you want. Read up on DIYMA about people discussing the Morel Ultimo 12 or DIYMA12 (gold standards of SQ). They will not be as punchy, visceral, and in-your-face as you want it to be. Look for SQL offerings, of which the Sundown will be one. Image Dynamics IDQ is another and will still put you under the price point of your precious W6.
"Image Dynamics IDQ is another and will still put you under the price point of your precious W6" this is exactly what i didnt want to read lmao

im tired of people thinking JL fans are strictly all about JL and nothing else, why cant i like JL without people thinking im a die hard JL guy haha

i have seen huge arguments that sundown just blows jl audio away because 1. it gets louder 2. its cheaper and 3. jl is not that much better in quality..i only know a little about sundown, i just didn't want to hear people say get sundown because its cheaper and you will save money, i dont care about that right now. I care about a quality speaker. and before anyone says "if i care about quality than why dont i just get a *blank* subwoofer"..like i said i have just been seeing a lot of arguing between these to specific subs
I understand what you're saying with the "I don't care about the price point, I want what's best," but what we're trying to tell you is they're pretty much comparable with each other. So if they perform the same and the only difference is the price point, that should be your deciding factor. The realistic answer is the performance of each sub is more dependent on the power you give it and the enclosure you put it in.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

Right now, it sounds like you're saying "I want a showoff piece for my buddies because I'll have paid more than them." Price shouldn't matter, man.

JL is JL man. its overpriced but hands down one of the best brands out there. my brother has been knockin his JL 10 inch w1 subs for 7 years now,,,hours at a time for road trips and stuff and it still sounds like the first day he got it..amazing sq

never heard any sundown equipment in real life yet

I understand what you're saying with the "I don't care about the price point, I want what's best," but what we're trying to tell you is they're pretty much comparable with each other. So if they perform the same and the only difference is the price point, that should be your deciding factor. The realistic answer is the performance of each sub is more dependent on the power you give it and the enclosure you put it in. 

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

Right now, it sounds like you're saying "I want a showoff piece for my buddies because I'll have paid more than them." Price shouldn't matter, man.
hence the part when i said "i dont care about price" but yeahh you didn't read everything i also said "i just didn't want to hear people say get sundown because its cheaper and you will save money, i dont care about that right now. I care about a quality speaker" soo i would like a quality speaker their for price doesn't matter..half these people out here have no clue how much a ****** w6 is anyways so no its not all about showing off haha

hence the part when i said "i dont care about price" but yeahh you didn't read everything i also said "i just didn't want to hear people say get sundown because its cheaper and you will save money, i dont care about that right now. I care about a quality speaker" soo i would like a quality speaker their for price doesn't matter..half these people out here have no clue how much a ****** w6 is anyways so no its not all about showing off haha
Haha you're coming off like a true noob and I am reading what you're saying. I don't think you understand what you're asking or what you're putting out on the forum for us to answer. JL makes one good sub IMO: the W6. So good. You're looking at the right one. Sundown makes a whole line of comparable, if not better regarding long-term endurance, subs and has a customer support network that trumps anything JL has to offer. What you need to do is look at the whole picture. If you fuck up something with that W6, especially if you buy it secondhand, you're SOL. It doesn't matter if you paid 300 or 600 for the thing, you're on your own. At least with Sundown, you can call or PM Jacob and he'll most likely work something out.

Additionally, you have the upgrade factor. Say you have a SA-10 and you find yourself in possession of a crazy 3KW amp and want to turn your car into a ground pounder. Sundown actually lets you trade up for something else. It's for those reasons alone I'd rather go with the Sundown than JL. And I've owned JL. They make their money on hype and you've bought it completely. Looks like you've already made your decision so why waste your time and create a thread to validate your opinion?

not knocking jl's quality because there is nothing wrong with it at all but it's insanely tough to beat sundowns quality and customer service. From what I can tell you want loud and clean correct? If that is the case i would look else where from jl there are much better subs out there. If you aren't in a hurry look on sundowns vendor section at the new X line he is bringing out will be one hell of a subwoofer, Also look into Sound Solutions Audio and Fi they too make great woofers that get loud and a super clean doing it.

That's also kinda the hole reason why i made this thread..so i could figure out if sundown is **** or if its just as good cause i also said i only know a little about sundown..i can get a sundown for $150 but i can also get a $600 jl for $250..i apologize for the ****** attitude it just pisses me off because you're not the only one that has said that **** to me, it seems like the second i say JL people automatically think that all i want to do is show off to my friends and others because i have a $600 subwoofer.

That's also kinda the hole reason why i made this thread..so i could figure out if sundown is **** or if its just as good cause i also said i only know a little about sundown..i can get a sundown for $150 but i can also get a $600 jl for $250..i apologize for the ****** attitude it just pisses me off because you're not the only one that has said that **** to me, it seems like the second i say JL people automatically think that all i want to do is show off to my friends and others because i have a $600 subwoofer.
The reason for that is if you stick around and see all the newbs that come on this site hollering about JL this Kicker that and never take anybodies advice you would understand why it went straight to the price but the fact of the matter is with jl you pay for the name usually. But to answer your ? sundown is a great company, great products, and customer service you can't go wrong by buying from them.

Yeah, please don't take me for an a-hole. We try to help you guys out but we also want to help out these guys who are risking their financial security to create a business out of their passion. That's why you see people push sundown, at, and the like. Personally, I love my ID10 and I bought that thing for 40 bucks, but if my finances were better, I'd probably go with a SD-10 or two. It's just refreshing for me to see someone care more about what they put out and that means more to me than pretty much anything else.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.