why use foam?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
I see some people use foam inside the trunk to supposedly reduce trunk rattle. But wouldn't that also absorb the sound wave and not bounce it into the cabin?

I'm looking for a cheap way of dealing with my HORRIFIC trunk rattle and thought foam would be ideal, but started thinking it over. Don't want to jump into something I don't fully understand.

But something has to be done. The past week, people been having whiplash and looking at me strange. Maybe it's because I don't turn it down at the red light. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/violent.gif.ccf64f7a34b20886d220db2fbff36f3b.gif

It is more of a question of when and where to use each product.

Deadener helps with panels resonating.

Foam helps with decoupling.

MLV helps with blocking noise.

Butyl Rope helps with panels rattling against braces.

Expanding Foam helps fill large voids.

1/8 or 1/4" Plywood helps stiffen large flat panels that don't have good enough braces. (bonded with PL Premium)

Use the right tool for the right job. Sometimes it means the use of multiple tools to get the job done right.

i remember the good days. i deadned my entire 1970 VW with dynamat extreme. and i mean the ENTIRE thing. did 2 layers on the floor, 3 on the roof, 3 on each door, 2 on the underside of the dash 1 on the rear quarter panels, 2 on the rear "parcel shelf", and one more on the "trunk". it was a butload of deadner but it was well worth it.

Matt

It is more of a question of when and where to use each product.
Deadener helps with panels resonating.

Foam helps with decoupling.

MLV helps with blocking noise.

Butyl Rope helps with panels rattling against braces.

Expanding Foam helps fill large voids.

1/8 or 1/4" Plywood helps stiffen large flat panels that don't have good enough braces. (bonded with PL Premium)

Use the right tool for the right job. Sometimes it means the use of multiple tools to get the job done right.
^^This x10

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.