JL Audio HD or Slash 1200

Icecube91

Senior VIP Member
Which amp would be better to push the 13w7? The HD 1200/1 or Slash 1200/1. The slash has more tuning fewtures while the HD doesn't. The slash has remote bass eq boost control knob while the HD has remote subwoofer level control. What is the difference? Is it one control the bass while the volume.is the same and the other controls the volume while the bass is the same?

bass boost usually just boosts bass around a certain frequency like 40hz, different from sub volume which raises the volume across the entire sub range. id read both manuals to make sure

but id probably get the HD

Which amp would be better to push the 13w7? The HD 1200/1 or Slash 1200/1. The slash has more tuning fewtures while the HD doesn't. The slash has remote bass eq boost control knob while the HD has remote subwoofer level control. What is the difference? Is it one control the bass while the volume.is the same and the other controls the volume while the bass is the same?
Both should make the same power. Buy slash series if you can afford it, it'll be far better built than the HD series.

DO NOT buy a 2K amp for that. You will gain very little if any audible output over the JL amp and those W7s do not like 2K.

Well my sub is wired for 3ohm. So bass control will control the bass and not the volume and subwoofer level control will control the volume while the bass stays the same

I have owned every amp in the HD line at one point or another and I currently use a pair of HD900/5's for my present system. If you don't need the extra controls of the Slash then I would go with the HD. Solid power, tiny footprint, relatively small current consumption (my HD900/5's are fused at 60amps each...120amp draw for 1800rms ain't bad), uncompromising SQ.

Just my opinion.

I have owned every amp in the HD line at one point or another and I currently use a pair of HD900/5's for my present system. If you don't need the extra controls of the Slash then I would go with the HD. Solid power, tiny footprint, relatively small current consumption (my HD900/5's are fused at 60amps each...120amp draw for 1800rms ain't bad), uncompromising SQ.
Just my opinion.
So If I go with the HD series with the sub level control remote. Would that be enought or should I add a epicenter?

So If I go with the HD series with the sub level control remote. Would that be enought or should I add a epicenter?
As stated previously the level control will be just that, a dedicated 'volume' control for the sub across the whole (subwoofer) spectrum. I have never used an Epicenter and it's my understanding that it's a bass synthesizer of sorts...it 'enhances' the bass via some sort of algorithm. I'm more of an SQ guy myself and try to avoid anything that 'adds' anything to the original signal. You may be best served by NOT using the Epicenter, instead just measuring with a mic and EQ'ing the sub appropriately for a smooth response.

A lot of it really depends on what you're after as far as sound desired...many people on this forum are more concerned about shaking walls 3 blocks away than SQ...and there is nothing wrong with that...I love me some bass as well...but I'm 42 years old and I tend to want musicality more than output.

Maybe someone with more experience with the Epicenter can chime in.

But a 13w7 on either of those amps is going to provide some serious output...One thing I will mention is that if you're planning on going ported then an adjustable subsonic filter willl be a MUST. The HD has a fixed SS @30hz...that's essentially cutting off the balls of your low-end...a properly set SS should control the unloading of the subwoofer below the tuning freq of the box...and that will depend on tuning freq AND power applied to determine the best setting. In that regard the Slash would be the clear choice (it has an adjustable SS, JL calls the SS an 'infrasonic filter'). The idea is to set the SS so that the sub reaches, but does not exceed the sub's LINEAR xmax, thus getting the most out of the subs excursion capabilities. The best way to find this is to model the subwoofer in the intended enclosure in WINISD (or something similar) and apply different SS settings and see what works best for the subwoofer system (as a whole).

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick word about subsonic filters...most folks ignore shaping their SSF for best use...I'll give you an example using your woofer, the JL 13w7. Below I have simulated 4 enclosures, all the same, all to JL specs, 2.4 cubes tuned to 35HZ.

I applied 1500rms to each...the only difference is the SSF's I employed for each.

The white trace is NO SSF

The yellow trace is the JL recommended 30hz high-pass @24db

The orange trace is also 30hz high-pass but @12db

The red trace is the SSF I recommend for this box which is 20hz high-pass @12db

MLVY9ot.jpg

You can see that with out a SSF the white trace exceeds xmax at 23hz...anything below that and you're hurting the sub.

The yellow trace certainly keeps the excursion below xmax...but really cut's off the nuts of your sub.

The orange trace is better but still leaves a lot of usable excursion on the table.

The red trace shows the cone being able to use all it's excursion while still staying under the xmax limit to keep the sub safe.

1hGfcbk.jpg

Notice the HUGE difference in the low end you gain by properly setting the SSF...by way of comparison the JL recommended 30hz@24 will give you 88.4db at 20hz, while the 20hz@12 will give you 100db...that's almost 12db difference at 20hz!

The fact that you can extract so much more usable low-end by having a variable vs fixed SS filter should make the Slash the clear choice between the two amps (if using a ported enclosure).

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A quick word about subsonic filters...most folks ignore shaping their SSF for best use...I'll give you an example using your woofer, the JL 13w7. Below I have simulated 4 enclosures, all the same, all to JL specs, 2.4 cubes tuned to 35HZ.
I applied 1500rms to each...the only difference is the SSF's I employed for each.

MLVY9ot.jpg

You can see that with out a SSF the white trace exceeds xmax at 23hz...anything below that and you're hurting the sub.

The yellow trace certainly keeps the excursion below xmax...but really cut's off the nuts of your sub.

The orange trace is better but still leaves a lot of usable excursion on the table.

The red trace shows the cone being able to use all it's excursion while still staying under the xmax limit to keep the sub safe.

1hGfcbk.jpg

Notice the HUGE difference in the low end you gain by properly setting the SSF...by way of comparison the JL recommended 30hz@24 will give you 88.4db at 20hz, while the 20hz@12 will give you 100db...that's almost 12db difference at 20hz!

The fact that you can extract so much more usable low-end by having a variable vs fixed SS filter should make the Slash the clear choice between the two amps (if using a ported enclosure).

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
pmed you

MLVY9ot.jpg

1hGfcbk.jpg

good god u are better at wins than me lol.. idk where that is at on wins.. please model my FU750 for me, curve and cone excursion for me..

how do i set this tune on a JL HD 1200. Do I do the following? Whats the difference between 12db and 24db on filter slope.

Set Filter Mode on LP

Filter Slope on 12db

Filter Freq around 80 hertz

Infrasonic Filter Off im guessing or leave it on at 30hertz?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.