Is turning gain all the way up necessarily a bad thing?

hatedonmostly
5,000+ posts

throwin' hunnits, hunnits
Detroit, MI
Just got a new amp to better suit my subwoofers; 900 watts RMS @ 2 ohms running two 300 watt RMS SVC 4 ohm subwoofers wired in parallel. That's 450 watts per woofer. But oddly enough, the amp sounds the best when the gain is turned all the way up, when the volume on the head unit is turned all the way up. If the gain is set to about 2.0 V (the head unit is rated at 1.8 V) it sounds scratchy, like it's distorting. Normally distortion means you back it off, right? Well, it just gets worse and sounds like it's not getting enough power. But when the gain is turned all the way up, it sounds just fine. Not muddy, but punchy and clear, like it should sound. The amp doesn't go into protection, clip, and the subs don't bottom out or anything. Still, I'm worried about damaging my woofers and amp. Should I be?

you don't need the gain at max to achieve it's potential. you are bound to damage something running it like you have it.

You need to set your gain with a DMM to avoid amp problems..
DMM? Fill me in, I'm pretty new to everything, except installing.

you don't need the gain at max to achieve it's potential. you are bound to damage something running it like you have it.
It sounds better like this, than any other way; I have tried tons of other ways with the other settings. It always sounded funny and I could never figure out why. Until I figured out that turning up the gain solves my problem.

I would assume that its possible that a maxed gain might give you proper RMS output but there are so many variables that would go into determining that. Get a DMM (Digital Multimeter). And do some research, set your gains properly. Chances are your stuff will get damaged with them maxed.

Just got a new amp to better suit my subwoofers; 900 watts RMS @ 2 ohms running two 300 watt RMS SVC 4 ohm subwoofers wired in parallel. That's 450 watts per woofer. But oddly enough, the amp sounds the best when the gain is turned all the way up, when the volume on the head unit is turned all the way up. If the gain is set to about 2.0 V (the head unit is rated at 1.8 V) it sounds scratchy, like it's distorting. Normally distortion means you back it off, right? Well, it just gets worse and sounds like it's not getting enough power. But when the gain is turned all the way up, it sounds just fine. Not muddy, but punchy and clear, like it should sound. The amp doesn't go into protection, clip, and the subs don't bottom out or anything. Still, I'm worried about damaging my woofers and amp. Should I be?
your amp is making sounds, that's a bigger problem to be worried about.

It's harder to hear distortion with a sub amp. You can do this with a main speaker amp if you are carefull about back off the volume when you hear the distortion in the main speakers. But since you can't hear the sub amp distort it's more likely you'll run the amp into clipping and damage the amp or the sub or both. Since most knuckleheads like to jam the bass to max, you'll probably fry something.

This is why it's best to have the gains matched between your HU and amp, and any other gear inline. So when your near max volume on the HU, your near max volume on the amp and speakers so it's easy to know when you're in the danger zone. Below that level you know everything is running clean with good gain structure.

What kind of amp are you running? If its very budget oriented then I'd say that's the problem.
Hifonics Brutus BXi1210D amp, and Infinity woofers. Not the best quality, but above average, I'd say.

I would assume that its possible that a maxed gain might give you proper RMS output but there are so many variables that would go into determining that. Get a DMM (Digital Multimeter). And do some research, set your gains properly. Chances are your stuff will get damaged with them maxed.
It should be giving the above the rated RMS.

your amp is making sounds, that's a bigger problem to be worried about.
The sound that is produced by the amp*...

In pro audio we typically run the amps open full tilt and adjust the gains on the output of the gear feeding them, usually active crossovers/processors. But your job depends on not blowing **** up. Parking lot bravado to impress your friends is not in our job description.

DMM? Fill me in, I'm pretty new to everything, except installing.
If your not new to installing, but you don't know what a DMM is...then I feel bad for any installs you've done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Have you ever blown an amp or subs before?

It's harder to hear distortion with a sub amp. You can do this with a main speaker amp if you are carefull about back off the volume when you hear the distortion in the main speakers. But since you can't hear the sub amp distort it's more likely you'll run the amp into clipping and damage the amp or the sub or both. Since most knuckleheads like to jam the bass to max, you'll probably fry something.
This is why it's best to have the gains matched between your HU and amp, and any other gear inline. So when your near max volume on the HU, your near max volume on the amp and speakers so it's easy to know when you're in the danger zone. Below that level you know everything is running clean with good gain structure.
I've tried listening by turning the treble on the head unit all the way down and at normal listening level (+7). But either way, it sounds shitty when the gain on the amp is not maxed out. Like the woofers want more power for the volume level they're at, but aren't getting it; like they're underpowered. So maybe maxing the gain is producing the perfect amount of power for them...that's what I'm starting to think.

The amp doesn't clip, and the subs don't bottom out or drop.

I see what you're saying, but at 1.8ish V the amplifier is not getting enough power to those subwoofers, it seems. I guess that's just a risk I have to be willing to take, or I have to get a more powerful amp? Even though this should be putting out 150 watts more than the subs are rated to RMS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.